• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Overdose Deaths Rose 33.6% in Oregon Last Year

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Deaths from drug overdoses in Oregon rose 33.6% to 1,069 in 2021, according to preliminary datafrom the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That’s the fifth-largest jump in deaths in the nation, after Alaska, Kansas, South Dakota and Vermont.

The increase was greater than the 31% rise in 2020 and bucked a national trend. U.S. overdose deaths rose 15% to almost 108,000 last year, moderating from a 30% increase in 2020, when the COVID-19 pandemic gripped the nation.

Oregon’s numbers are rising because of an influx of fentanyl, says Haven Wheelock, harm reduction coordinator at Outside In, a Portland clinic that offers addiction services. Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that can be 100 times stronger than morphine. It is often cut into other drugs, unbeknownst to users, to enhance potency.

Blames "fentanyl". :rolleyes: Aren't democrats always blaming something or someone?

Surely it has nothing to do with the policy decisions they make.

Oregon botched drug treatment plan tied to decriminalization
Oregon has become the first state to decriminalize drug possession

Blames "fentanyl". :rolleyes: Aren't democrats always blaming something or someone?

Well, people are going to make choices.

Make stupid choices, win stupid prizes.

Meanwhile, as long as there is a market, there will be suppliers.

Much like Alcohol Prohibition raised to the level (improperly I've always held) of Constitutional Amendment, which only created worse problems when dealing with illegal demand creating illegal supply chains.

IMO we should just let people make their stupid choices.

Meanwhile, educate and "scare" the hell out of youthful possible users so they see the harms and steer away voluntarily.

But if adult, let them choose both their own living hell, and also dealing with the legal/medical consequences.

Baseline incidence?

Unfortunately, many people view the state as a metaphorical parent, so letting its children (and by children I mean adults) make their own stupid choices is not an option.

I don't have a problem with adults facing the consequences of stupid life choices.

The problem I have is with govt's enabling and subsidizing their poor decisions and lifestyles.

I am still trying to figure out what fentanyl is if they cut it with heroin (a downer) or cocaine ( an upper)

I don't have a problem with adults facing the consequences of stupid life choices.

Do you support legalizing all drugs and abolishing the prescription drug system?

If no, then you don't believe adults should be allowed to make their own choices as far as drugs are concerned.

The problem I have is with govt's enabling and subsidizing their poor decisions and lifestyles.

Do you mean the welfare state in general? Or are you referring to a particular policy.

Well, people are going to make choices.

Make stupid choices, win stupid prizes.

Meanwhile, as long as there is a market, there will be suppliers.

Much like Alcohol Prohibition raised to the level (improperly I've always held) of Constitutional Amendment, which only created worse problems when dealing with illegal demand creating illegal supply chains.

IMO we should just let people make their stupid choices.

Meanwhile, educate and "scare" the hell out of youthful possible users so they see the harms and steer away voluntarily.

But if adult, let them choose both their own living hell, and also dealing with the legal/medical consequences.
Gotta be honest though. I’ve seen people see the lies about weed and assume they were lying about meth or coke or whatever too.

Didn’t work out well.

We should make it illegal. Outlaw ownership of it.

Do you support legalizing all drugs and abolishing the prescription drug system?
I do not.

If no, then you don't believe adults should be allowed to make their own choices as far as drugs are concerned.
You're still free to make choices. I'm saying that the gov't shouldn't enable, coddle, or subsidize those choices.

Do you mean the welfare state in general? Or are you referring to a particular policy.
I support temporary welfare and focused support for those in need. I disagree with enabling people to depend upon and live on support for generations. We currently are in our fourth generation of some families and their descendants remaining illiterate, dependent, and unproductive.

Compared to some other States, Oregon isn't even a blip on the radar. I guess you might suspect that it has something to do with the policy decisions they make, eh?

The good news is that violent crime is dropping in Oregon. Oh, wait…

The county is also struggling with record-high levels of traffic fatalities and overdose deaths, he said.

“We need to act with a sense of urgency. Summer is approaching, a time when we typically experience increased violence in our community,” Reese said. “Violent crime, traffic fatalities and overdose deaths are already at historic high rates. Without action, we can expect worse to come.”

In addition, homicides have been on the rise in Portland for the past few years. From 2019 to 2020, Portland had a sharper rise in killings — an 83% increase — than nearly all major cities. Nationally, homicides had increased by nearly 30% in the same time, based on FBI data.

Amid a surge in gun violence, Portland recorded 90 homicides last year — shattering the city’s previous high of 66 set in 1987.

City police and officials say the increase — which disproportionally affected Portland’s Black community — was fueled by gang-related arguments, drug deals gone awry and disputes among homeless people. The situation was exacerbated by the pandemic, economic hardships and mental health crises.

Gun violence hasn't slowed, with officials warning that Portland is on track to outpace last year’s grim homicide record.

Assumes facts not in evidence. What are you projecting?

Why are you deflecting? The topic is: Overdose Deaths Rose 33.6% in Oregon Last Year

This is a failure, no?

Is it the Democratic policies in AK, KS, and SD that made theirs worse?

I don't expect seriousness in your commentary.

Why are you deflecting? The topic is: Overdose Deaths Rose 33.6% in Oregon Last Year
So . . . you think the overdose deaths in other states that dramatically eclipse Oregon's numbers are somehow off topic ?!?!? Seriously?
What planet are you from? You thought you'd use this tidbit if data to slam Oregon, a blue state . . . "Aren't democrats always blaming something or someone?", and all while totally sliding right by the fact that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd biggest increases in overdose deaths were in RED STATES !! From your own article: "That’s the fifth-largest jump in deaths in the nation, after Alaska, Kansas, South Dakota and Vermont." Did you think nobody would notice the glaring misplaced bias in your OP?
This is a failure, no?
Apparently - but not mine. Perhaps if your OP had offered some insights into the policies that made Alaska the state with the highest increase, and the policies in Kansas that made it the second highest, and what policies made South Dakota the third highest increase in overdose deaths, then your OP wouldn't come across as just some sort of mindless partisan bullshit. But no. You targeted the 5th largest increase, while dodging the 1st, 2nd and 3rd largest increases, just to serve your own political agenda.
This IS a failure - yes!

So . . . you think the overdose deaths in other states that dramatically eclipse Oregon's numbers are somehow off topic ?!?!? Seriously?
What planet are you from? You thought you'd use this tidbit if data to slam Oregon, a blue state . . . "Aren't democrats always blaming something or someone?", and all while totally sliding right by the fact that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd biggest increases in overdose deaths were in RED STATES !! From your own article: "That’s the fifth-largest jump in deaths in the nation, after Alaska, Kansas, South Dakota and Vermont." Did you think nobody would notice the glaring misplaced bias in your OP?

Apparently - but not mine. Perhaps if your OP had offered some insights into the policies that made Alaska the state with the highest increase, and the policies in Kansas that made it the second highest, and what policies made South Dakota the third highest increase in overdose deaths, then your OP wouldn't come across as just some sort of mindless partisan bullshit. But no. You targeted the 5th largest increase, while dodging the 1st, 2nd and 3rd largest increases, just to serve your own political agenda.
This IS a failure - yes!
Tbf, he probably didn't read past the headline. Seems to happen alot with RWers.

Gotta be honest though. I’ve seen people see the lies about weed and assume they were lying about meth or coke or whatever too.

Didn’t work out well.

I agree, having experienced that type of "education" back in my youthful days, and how it backfired.

I am not talking about "reefer madness" types of "scary."

I am talking about honest education on what drugs do both positive and negative, then show how addiction really works. As well as where people end up.

Presume kids are not "stupid." Present them with evidence, including people as "guest speakers" who have done the drugs and recovered, etc. to give honest testimony on the ups and downs. Then provide access to counseling and recovery programs.

I agree, having experienced that type of "education" back in my youthful days, and how it backfired.

I am not talking about "reefer madness" types of "scary."

I am talking about honest education on what drugs do both positive and negative, then show how addiction really works. As well as where people end up.

Presume kids are not "stupid." Present them with evidence, including people as "guest speakers" who have done the drugs and recovered, etc. to give honest testimony on the ups and downs. Then provide access to counseling and recovery programs.
The campaign where they show a woman and then the same woman after meth, aimed at girls, was an honest and effective “scare” campaign.

So that kind of thing is fine. Just no lies or gross exaggerations.

Back
Top Bottom