• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Over half of U.S. abortions now done with pills, not surgery

minnie616

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
More than half of U.S. abortions are now done with pills rather than surgery, an upward trend that spiked during the pandemic with the increase in telemedicine, a report released Thursday shows.

In 2020, pills accounted for 54% of all U.S. abortions, up from roughly 44% in 2019.

More than half of U.S. abortions are now done with pills rather than surgery, an upward trend that spiked during the pandemic with the increase in telemedicine, a report released Thursday shows.

In 2020, pills accounted for 54% of all U.S. abortions, up from roughly 44% in 2019.

Pharmacological abortions are easy, non-invasive, cheaper, and generally safer than more invasive measures.

I'm sure a few of the Hillbilly states will get around to make that illegal.
Many already have, or introduced legislation to do so.

If the feds ok the home delivery of the pills...which they have...how do the states outlaw that? Does the Supremacy Clause factor in here at all? I realize that mail delivery does not involve Const rights.

Last edited:
Pharmacological abortions are easy, non-invasive, cheaper, and generally safer than more invasive measures.

They also are often done in a more comfortable and private setting: the woman's bedroom.

Many already have, or introduced legislation to do so.

If the feds ok the home delivery of the pills...which they have...how do the states outlaw that? Does the Supremacy Clause factor in here at all? I realize that mail delivery does not involve Const rights.

Yes, it is the Supremacy Clause that makes state laws banning the delivery of abortion pills unconstitutional. The question is what are red states trying to bypass: a court ruling, the FDA, or federal legislation?

It was just a matter of time. But how late in gestation are they effective?

Wow thats interesting, due to when abortions most often happened I would have guessed we already crossed that point so that's interesting

Thanks! I suspect the nuts will be planning something like that in Florida. Our so-called leaders (here) are short of many brain cells.

Look at Alabama and Ohio first.Luckily Florida is not one of the states that passed an abortion ban in the last decade.

I read it. Oh brother. Seems like that would piss off most men and women. "Hi Bob..remember that one night stand you had a few months ago....
....Daddy?"
My 💗 goes out to TX women x1K

Where you do draw the line?
I don't draw the line. I let the person who is having the child draw the line. I understand that many people would find that horrendous but I will not and can not interfere with whatever is going on, regarding the mother. I'm not her conscience or her personal God.

Planned Parenthood says 10 weeks.

? That's where I found the 11 eleven weeks - "Depending on where you live, you may be able to get a medication abortion up to 77 days (11 weeks) after the first day of your last period. If it has been 78 days or more since the first day of your last period, you can have an in-clinic abortion to end your pregnancy." https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/the-abortion-pill

But not a huge difference either way.

? That's where I found the 11 eleven weeks - "Depending on where you live, you may be able to get a medication abortion up to 77 days (11 weeks) after the first day of your last period. If it has been 78 days or more since the first day of your last period, you can have an in-clinic abortion to end your pregnancy." https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/the-abortion-pill

But not a huge difference either way.

Eleven weeks is too difficult for many women. Someone needs to pull the fetus out at that point.

Eleven weeks is too difficult for many women. Someone needs to pull the fetus out at that point.

Maybe difficult for some women at that point, but I trust that PP knows what they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom