• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Over half a million people ordered to evacuate Gulf Coast as Hurricane Laura looms

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From CBS News.com:

More than half a million people were ordered to evacuate the Gulf Coast on Tuesday as Hurricane Laura churns in the Gulf of Mexico. The hurricane could slam into land this week as a major storm with ferocious winds and deadly flooding.

More than 385,000 residents were told to flee the Texas cities of Beaumont, Galveston and Port Arthur, and another 200,000 were ordered to leave low-lying Calcasieu Parish in southwestern Louisiana, where forecasters said as much as 13 feet of storm surge topped by waves could submerge whole communities. Over half a million people ordered to evacuate Gulf Coast as Hurricane Laura looms - CBS News

Houston evacuation remains voluntary, but people who are thinking about leaving need to do so NOW. Hurricane Laura: Evacuees hoping to avoid repeat of Hurricane Rita traffic nightmare - ABC13 Houston

And that means NOW.

noonereal

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
A Cat 3 is no joke... prays to those in this storm's path.

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It's Flooding Down in Texas - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Y'all hang on over there. CAT 3 is nothing to sneeze at.

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
From CBS News.com:

More than half a million people were ordered to evacuate the Gulf Coast on Tuesday as Hurricane Laura churns in the Gulf of Mexico. The hurricane could slam into land this week as a major storm with ferocious winds and deadly flooding.

More than 385,000 residents were told to flee the Texas cities of Beaumont, Galveston and Port Arthur, and another 200,000 were ordered to leave low-lying Calcasieu Parish in southwestern Louisiana, where forecasters said as much as 13 feet of storm surge topped by waves could submerge whole communities. Over half a million people ordered to evacuate Gulf Coast as Hurricane Laura looms - CBS News

Houston evacuation remains voluntary, but people who are thinking about leaving need to do so NOW. Hurricane Laura: Evacuees hoping to avoid repeat of Hurricane Rita traffic nightmare - ABC13 Houston

And that means NOW.

Wow! Those poor people! and isn't there a second one on the way to deliver a one, two punch?

Tlrmln

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
...Hurricane Laura looms

They named a hurricane after conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer?

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Wow! Those poor people! and isn't there a second one on the way to deliver a one, two punch?

Marco is now only a tropical storm again. I don't know whether it can regain force or join Laura, but all you can ever expect in a hurricane is the unexpected.

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
This is my prediction of the storm's path.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1598276981633.jpg
    FB_IMG_1598276981633.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 57

George50

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is my prediction of the storm's path.

You must be one of those science denying Republicans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
You must be one of those science denying Republicans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, it was a joke. You must be be one of those humorless Lefties.

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Marco is now only a tropical storm again. I don't know whether it can regain force or join Laura, but all you can ever expect in a hurricane is the unexpected.

They very seldom do what the weather man says they're going to do.

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Much depends upon the geography -- the height above sea level -- of the coast. If it's relatively flat from the shore to inland, flooding can cover a large area. Between wind and flooding, this will be a major hurricane.

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
That sumbitch is going to hit in the middle of the night, too. That'll be a pain in the ass.

BlueTex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
That is not going to go well for those people there.

It’s going to be a monster... Even southern Arkansas could see hurricane force winds...

663ca915a5187e69095acb561f870629.jpg

Logophile

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
That sumbitch is going to hit in the middle of the night, too. That'll be a pain in the ass.

Better midnight. That way, when the lights go out, won't matter. Sleep tight. Thanks!!

trouble13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
The good news is that its moving fast. It won't linger anywhere to create a sustained beating. Its when they stall and sit on top of you and pound away that things go south fast.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Better midnight. That way, when the lights go out, won't matter. Sleep tight. Thanks!!

Like anyone will be sleeping...lol

Edit: except my dad. If he were alive, he would sleep through it...lol

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The good news is that its moving fast. It won't linger anywhere to create a sustained beating. Its when they stall and sit on top of you and pound away that things go south fast.

The bad news is that this one is going to go pretty far inland.

trouble13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
The bad news is that this one is going to go pretty far inland.
I don't want to sound as if I am making light of the storm. I deal with these things a lot and they need to be taken seriously. Hurricanes are an awesome display of nature.
That being said, from what I can see it moving fast (15mph) and its not a super well organized storm meaning once it meets land the eye is likely to come apart as goes over land. That does not mean ignore it but it is good news for people unfortunate enough to be in its path.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Logophile

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
That is not going to go well for those people there.

I feel for the people whose livelihood depends on the coast like Bubba Gump, but otherwise, with climate change, people should not be living on or near the coast. The cities that are hugging salt water are going to be buggy whips in the not too distant future. The simple reason is that despite all our efforts, retrofitting these cities to withstand major storms is too expensive, even if the technology is there to do it. Cities like Miami are going to be swallowed up - right out there in the tide water - and that city isn't anywhere near as old as New York with buildings dating centuries back, having been partially built on garbage. The coast of Louisiana is vulnerable, and I really don't think that "Mardi Grasville" is going to be able to withstand these constant meteorological assaults. A major piece of Canadian ice shelf just dumped itself into the Atlantic, and that will continue. Greenland's pouring water into the Atlantic, and the polar ice caps are melting so the oceans will rise far more quickly than predicted. Thanks!!

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I feel for the people whose livelihood depends on the coast like Bubba Gump, but otherwise, with climate change, people should not be living on or near the coast. The cities that are hugging salt water are going to be buggy whips in the not too distant future. The simple reason is that despite all our efforts, retrofitting these cities to withstand major storms is too expensive, even if the technology is there to do it. Cities like Miami are going to be swallowed up - right out there in the tide water - and that city isn't anywhere near as old as New York with buildings dating centuries back, having been partially built on garbage. The coast of Louisiana is vulnerable, and I really don't think that "Mardi Grasville" is going to be able to withstand these constant meteorological assaults. A major piece of Canadian ice shelf just dumped itself into the Atlantic, and that will continue. Greenland's pouring water into the Atlantic, and the polar ice caps are melting so the oceans will rise far more quickly than predicted. Thanks!!

Do you know how many people work in the refineries?

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I don't want to sound as if I am making light of the storm. I deal with these things a lot and they need to be taken seriously. Hurricanes are an awesome display of nature.
That being said, from what I can see it moving fast (15mph) and its not a super well organized storm meaning once it meets land the eye is likely to come apart as goes over land. That does not mean ignore it but it is good news for people unfortunate enough to be in its path.

We will see. I'm very concerned for the "Golden Triangle" (ugh). Some towns have never really recovered from Rita.

Top Bottom