• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Over 59% of the Belgians support a ban on minarets

Then we have common ground. May I pm you? I have just about a thousand questions concerning islam. I would appreciate any insight you would have.
do you assume because of his Turkish roots he is a Muslim?

Dont you hate yanks Kaolin they make such daft assumptions and Dutch caps it all;)

You mean unlike most of the british. :cool:

source

British anti-Americanism 'based on misconceptions'
British attitudes towards the United States are governed by ignorance of the facts on key issues such as crime, health care and foreign policy, according to a new survey

By Alex Spillius in Washington
Published: 7:25PM BST 17 Aug 2008

Donald Rumsfeld and Saddam Hussein in 1983. Most of those surveyed believe the US sold over a quarter of Saddam's arsenal to him
A poll of nearly 2,000 Britons by YouGov/PHI found that 70 per cent of respondents incorrectly said it was true that the US had done a worse job than the European Union in reducing carbon emissions since 2000. More than 50 per cent presumed that polygamy was legal in the US, when it is illegal in all 50 states.

The poll was commissioned by America In The World , an independent pressure group that launches on Monday and aims to improve understanding and appreciation of the US in Britain and around the world.

Texas school allows guns in class Tim Montgomerie, its director, said factual inaccuracies and mistaken assumptions have contributed to Britons and Europeans taking a hostile stance towards their most powerful ally, which often acted against national interests.

"We wanted to find out how British people understood America and found that there was an unbalanced view. Maybe there are good reasons but if we cleared a lot of that factual ignorance we would have a better understanding of what America really is," said Mr Montgomerie, who also founded the influential ConservativeHome website three years ago.

The survey showed that a majority agreed with the false statement that since the Second World War the US had more often sided with non-Muslims when they had come into conflict with Muslims. In fact in 11 out of 12 major conflicts between Muslims and non-Muslims, Muslims and secular forces, or Arabs and non-Arabs, the US has sided with the former group. Those conflicts included Turkey and Greece, Bosnia and Yugoslavia, and and Kosovo and Yugoslavia.

Asked if it was true that "from 1973 to 1990 the United States sold Saddam Hussein more than a quarter of his weapons," 80 per cent of British respondents said yes. However the US sold just 0.46 per cent of Saddam's arsenal to him, compared to Russia's 57 per cent, France's 13 per cent and China's 12 per cent.

"Ideas get around. Perhaps it's that old picture of Donald Rumsfeld with Saddam," suggested Mr Montgomerie, whose website includes a petition against anti-Americanism.

"Hollywood and all its violence has something to do with it, and the awful Bush diplomacy," he added.

Almost a third of Britons believe that "Americans who have not paid their hospitals fees or insurance premiums are not entitled to emergency medical care"; by law such treatment must be provided.

More than half the respondents believed that polygamy is legal in some US states, while it is illegal in all US states.

Most Britons were unaware of positive aspects of the US, such as the robust environmental movement or the social justice work of evangelical churches, he said.........

Nah, don't be sorry for that. I'm not a christian but I like them. Looks like I'll have to go elsewhere for islamic info.

Well, i say im Christian, i dont even follow it, apart from the seasons and a belief in the religion. Im strictly secular, in all aspects of life, not just politics, if you understand what i mean. More so a Christian in theory than in practice. I recommend this user however:

Debate Politics Forums - View Profile: Laila

Laila is my friend, she will be able to assist you if you have questions. Shes a good lass and im sure you'll enjoy talking with her.

Well, i say im Christian, i dont even follow it, apart from the seasons and a belief in the religion. Im strictly secular, in all aspects of life, not just politics, if you understand what i mean. More so a Christian in theory than in practice. I recommend this user however:

Debate Politics Forums - View Profile: Laila

Laila is my friend, she will be able to assist you if you have questions. Shes a good lass and im sure you'll enjoy talking with her.

Thanks. I'll tell her you recommended her. There was a poster on another now defunk forum from dubai I pm'd quite frenquently. I think we talked about everything but religion. Nice kid. I wish I knew what became of her.

In your opinion. I found nothing wrong with the story. You didn't either. If you did you would have stated so.

hate to point this out to you but this thread had nothing to do with any feeling concerning the USA. Like I said I did not read what you left. Clearly I did save myself time.

hate to point this out to you but this thread had nothing to do with any feeling concerning the USA. Like I said I did not read what you left. Clearly I did save myself time.

Yeah, why waste time debating folks who have a different perspective than yourself....on a political forum. :roll:

Charming custom. There are 158,000 americans in britain. One of them my cousin. At just what point will they be allowed their rights under the american constitution?

Of course you would not. Nor would a Muslim be able to act under the laws of Saudi Arabia. How many times do you need to be told this is concerning family law in a religious context by choice of both parties.

Now if you happen to be a Mormon and there are enough of you, you might be able to get that working for marriage and divorce.

Yeah, why waste time debating folks who have a different perspective than yourself....on a political forum. :roll:

Nothing to do with opinion. Much more to do with making unsupported accusuations and then adding drivel which it now appears was off topic.

Of course you would not. Nor would a Muslim be able to act under the laws of Saudi Arabia. How many times do you need to be told this is concerning family law in a religious context by choice of both parties.

In point of fact you would find the laws of saudi arabia are sharia.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Law_of_Saudi_Arabia"]wiki source[/ame]
......The Saudi cultural and religious views stigmatize any reference to "Constitution" other than the Qu'ran itself and the practice of the Islamic prophet Muhammad. Article 1 of the Basic Law emphasize that "God's Book (Qu'ran) and the Sunnah of His Prophet (Muhammad), are its (Saudi Arabia) constitution".[5] As the prince Talal bin Abdul Aziz puts it, who's referred to as the "red prince" and the "free prince" among other nicknames for his liberal views, there cannot be a "a constitution, a regulation, or a law that runs counter to the Islamic Shari'a" in Saudi Arabia[6].....

Now if you happen to be a Mormon and there are enough of you, you might be able to get that working for marriage and divorce.

I hope the hell not. Multi-culturalism is bad enough but if we start adopting different courts for different cultures.....we might as well disolve the union.

In point of fact you would find the laws of saudi arabia are sharia.

wiki source

If you use the term Sharia to mean all of Muslim law, that may be true but in just the same way as Jews cannot follow Israeli law, they can if both parties agree deal with their own family law, you will find that this is extremely limited. If you want to know what you are talking about rather than just trying to ply on sterotype after sterotype which give false impressions spend some time studying how it works.

I hope the hell not. Multi-culturalism is bad enough but if we start adopting different courts for different cultures.....we might as well disolve the union.

You totally misunderstand what this is all about. A Christian likes to be wed and divorced according to the rules of their particular church. Likewise some Jews and Muslims like to do the same.

If you use the term Sharia to mean all of Muslim law, that may be true but in just the same way as Jews cannot follow Israeli law, they can if both parties agree deal with their own family law, you will find that this is extremely limited. If you want to know what you are talking about rather than just trying to ply on sterotype after sterotype which give false impressions spend some time studying how it works.

I haven't stereotyped. I've provided reasonable assertions along with sources supporting such. You haven't. You seem to be working from some sort of script. I suggest you try a little harder.

You totally misunderstand what this is all about. A Christian likes to be wed and divorced according to the rules of their particular church. Likewise some Jews and Muslims like to do the same.

If that's true then you need to show me the error of my ways. Making unsubstantiated accusations isn't going to do this.

Personally, I see no difference at all but the Jews insist that they are a race and not a religion. So I'll have to respect that.

"The Jews"............. "INSIST" "they are a race"

Of course, I do insist that prejudice against anyone for any reason is WRONG.

What Irony.

Many if not most Jewish people will remind you that they are an ethnicity (not race), and you should listen to the power of their argument which substantiates quite correctly why this is so instead of chalking it up to "The Jews" "demanding" something. Such negative aspersions cast against an entire people are more characteristic of one engaging in prejudice rather than one insisting prejudice is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom