• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Over 1,000 Ukrainian Soldiers Surrender in Mariupol: Russia

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Russia's Defense Ministry said Wednesday more than a thousand Ukrainian soldiers have surrendered in Mariupol, a strategic port city in eastern Ukraine that has been besieged by Moscow's troops for over a month.
"In the city of Mariupol... 1,026 Ukrainian servicemen of the 36th marine brigade voluntarily laid down their arms and surrendered," the ministry said in a statement. The ministry said that the soldiers surrendered near the "Mariupol Metallurgical Plant named after Illich," a large steel factory. Among the troops were 162 officers and 47 were women, the ministry added. More than 100 were wounded. Thousands of civilians are believed to have died in the city, which has seen some of the most intense fighting in the conflict.

They held out for 47 brutal days but this was inevitable. Yesterday I posted about the looming surrender.....

Hmm, I'm not sure that's true. Is there a source besides the Russian Ministry of Defense? Not that it would be surprising, but so far Ukraine has been fairly open about territorial gains/losses when they happen.

Hmm, I'm not sure that's true. Is there a source besides the Russian Ministry of Defense? Not that it would be surprising, but so far Ukraine has been fairly open about territorial gains/losses when they happen.

I don't think it would be surprising, the units there were reported to be extremely low on ammunition and food.

I don't think it would be surprising, the units there were reported to be extremely low on ammunition and food.
It wouldn't be surprising, but the only reason I'm suspicious is as far as I can tell Ukraine is claiming Mariupol is still fighting. When they lost previous cities Ukraine announced the losses right away. I feel like they would instantly play up the defends of Mariupol of as heroes.

It wouldn't be surprising, but the only reason I'm suspicious is as far as I can tell Ukraine is claiming Mariupol is still fighting.

Some are still holding out at the destroyed steel plant (Azovstal Iron & Steel Works). This is owned by Ukraine's wealthiest oligarch, Rinat Akhmetov.

There are also some solders holding out in tunnels under the city. The Russians will probably kill them with gas.

Back
Top Bottom