• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oval Office rug gets history wrong

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A mistake has been made in the Oval Office makeover that goes beyond the beige.

President Obama's new presidential rug seemed beyond reproach, with quotations from Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. woven along its curved edge.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." According media reports, this quote keeping Obama company on his wheat-colored carpet is from King.

Except it's not a King quote. The words belong to a long-gone Bostonian champion of social progress. His roots in the republic ran so deep that his grandfather commanded the Minutemen at the Battle of Lexington.

washingtonpost.com

They must use the same fact checkers as Vanity Fair.

washingtonpost.com

They must use the same fact checkers as Vanity Fair.

Nah, just the same guys that thought giving back the bust of Churchill and giving the Queen an Ipod were good ideas too.

You are also assuming they have a knowledge and respect for history. Its pretty obvious they do not.

Seriously? A quote said by someone, than repeated by King and you think this is an actual thing to be upset about? Some people will look for anything to be upset about I guess.

Last edited:
Nah, just the same guys that thought giving back the bust of Churchill and giving the Queen an Ipod were good ideas too.

You are also assuming they have a knowledge and respect for history. Its pretty obvious they do not.

Another one of those fanatical Queen supporters I see. The Royal Family is such a farce and to think they still get to live the life of luxury off the masses.
And what would you have given to her highness? More nic-nacks to fit in warehouse room back at the palace...lol

Another one of those fanatical Queen supporters I see.
The Royal Family is such a farce and to think they still get to live the life of luxury off the masses.
And what would you have given to her highness? More nic-nacks to fit in warehouse room back at the palace...lol

LOL Are you so far out you think you have to be a Queen supporter to recognize the stupidity of giving her an Ipod? Seriously?

You're going to sit there and pretend that was a good idea?

LOL Are you so far out you think you have to be a Queen supporter to recognize the stupidity of giving her an Ipod? Seriously?

You're going to sit there and pretend that was a good idea?

What do you think she should have gotten since you care so much for the Royal Family? I could care less what she was given but it must bother you.

Seriously? A quote said by someone, than repeated by King and you think this is an actual thing to be upset about? Some people will look for anything to be upset about I guess.

Not seeing anyone particularly upset. But would say the misquote does qualify as a clumsy error. (we can only use our imaginations as to how the press/left would have reacted if the screw up had occurred under Bush)

King was a good man and has a lot of good genuine quotes. My guess is that the current oversight on the rug will get corrected soonish.....

I'm so glad that, with everything going on in our nation today, that this is deemed worthy of complaint.

It tells me a great deal of the priorities of the President's detractors.

As for me, I think I'll stick to spanking on the government for things that actually matter a damn, kthx.

I'm so glad that, with everything going on in our nation today, that this is deemed worthy of complaint.

It tells me a great deal of the priorities of the President's detractors.

As for me, I think I'll stick to spanking on the government for things that actually matter a damn, kthx.

Yeah, you're SO Bothered by it, you bothered to post, twice in the thread. I believe what you are doing has a term for it, and it's not flattering.

Just like the WH team screwing up the Rug quote.

Yeah, you're SO Bothered by it, you bothered to post, twice in the thread.

Yes, actually, I am bothered by it. It bothers me that we've sunk so low as a nation -- and I'm not referring to one side or the other, by any stretch of the imagination -- that this is deemed a legitimate subject for complaint or ridicule.

Somehow, I think that Leno couldn't even pay someone to write a joke about this, so useless is the subject for satire -- much less actual whining.

I believe what you are doing has a term for it, and it's not flattering. Just like the WH team screwing up the Rug quote.

Go ahead, pal, be explicit. Either accuse me of something, or continue snickering behind your hand like an adolescent.

Yes, actually, I am bothered by it. It bothers me that we've sunk so low as a nation -- and I'm not referring to one side or the other, by any stretch of the imagination -- that this is deemed a legitimate subject for complaint or ridicule.

Somehow, I think that Leno couldn't even pay someone to write a joke about this, so useless is the subject for satire -- much less actual whining.

Go ahead, pal, be explicit. Either accuse me of something, or continue snickering behind your hand like an adolescent.

It's just funny, I don't see what your panties are in such a bundle over. There was an article, I posted it, because it was funny and moved on. You've expended 3 TIMES the emotional energy on this then anyone else.

See here's the gig, Obama and Co are supposed to be the smartest, most intelligent group ever to sit in the White House, yet... they screwed the pooch on something so simple as a quote on a rug. It's FUNNY.

It's funnier to see people like you take what is a snicker moment and blow it all out of proportion. Reminds me of my cousin, she's 17 and just got herself grounded for blowing up at her Dad, over something trivial.

Last edited:
Hey they had to do something! There was jism on the other rug!

:lamo:lamo:lamo

It's just funny, I don't see what your panties are in such a bundle over. There was an article, I posted it, because it was funny and moved on. You've expended 3 TIMES the emotional energy on this then anyone else.

Yeah, because it's bull**** and it pisses me off. Not this subject exclusively, it's the nature of this subject -- this constant game of "gotcha" that so many people are fixated on playing.

Christ on a crutch, and people wonder why we aren't making any serious headway on a number of fronts -- it's our fascination with meaningless idiotic crap like this.

At any rate, if you were just having a "ha-ha" moment, you shouldn't have posted it in BN. BN is for news. "Ha-ha" stuff belongs elsewhere. Unless, of course, you're just falling back on the "ha-ha" defense because it's all you've got.

Also, it is good to note that you didn't have the spine to make your accusation explicit.

Last edited:
Yeah, because it's bull**** and it pisses me off. Not this subject exclusively, it's the nature of this subject -- this constant game of "gotcha" that so many people are fixated on playing.

Christ on a crutch, and people wonder why we aren't making any serious headway on a number of fronts -- it's our fascination with meaningless idiotic crap like this.

At any rate, if you were just having a "ha-ha" moment, you shouldn't have posted it in BN. BN is for news. "Ha-ha" stuff belongs elsewhere. Unless, of course, you're just falling back on the "ha-ha" defense because it's all you've got.

Also, it is good to note that you didn't have the spine to make your accusation explicit.

No, I can't remember the word I was looking for, now it doesn't matter. Had a brain fart. PROBABLY GIGGLING too much.

This is akin to... if Obama tripped going down the stairs to AF1, we'd have a good giggle over it.

It's not like a boo boo made by Glenn Beck that doesn't amount to a hill of beans. This is on a Pesidential Rug in the Oval Office.
Can't say I'm surprised at the choices of FDR and T. Roosevelt either.

Aside the *oops* on the rug. . . . how degrading to have one's famous words - walked all over.
They couldn't carve them into the desk or a wall-tapestry? Yeesh

I'm sorry, the One cannot trip, for you, he is perfect... we know.

I've made it abundantly clear on a variety of occasions that I'm not an Obama fan. Ply your strawmen elsewhere.

How about Biden, would you giggle at Biden?

I wouldn't even giggle at you tripping while you went down the stairs. How's that?

I've made it abundantly clear on a variety of occasions that I'm not an Obama fan. Ply your strawmen elsewhere.

I wouldn't even giggle at you tripping while you went down the stairs. How's that?

You're a funny guy. You complain about threads that are pointless, yet I only ever see you in threads where you are lamenting how stupid the thread is. If you really were concerned with such, you wouldn't help the threads by posting in them, and further you'd start "quality threads". Something I don't see you spending a lot of time doing.

Seriously? This seems like a stupid thing to complain about.

It's the new issue of the day, since the issue about his birth certificate is now dead. :mrgreen:

It's not like a boo boo made by Glenn Beck that doesn't amount to a hill of beans. This is on a Pesidential Rug in the Oval Office.
Can't say I'm surprised at the choices of FDR and T. Roosevelt either.

It's not some one telling people what to think based on lies, it's a damned rug. See how easy it is to make stupid comparisons?

Seriously people, it's a rug. It's job is to lie on the floor. On the list of things important, this is not even on it. It's a rug. Bitching about this is not going to go well.

Back
Top Bottom