• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Outstanding Talking Points Memo by O'Reilly [W:52]

I just love plain old common sense thinking... And here's a dose of it from Bill O'Reilly...

O'Reilly Explains How Working In Fast Food Worked Out For Him | RealClearPolitics

How, in the face of soaring corporate profits do you justify a minimum wage that has not increased in 4 yrs or even kept up with inflation. Not to mention that BO is an old fart, the world has changed. Finding a job if you are unskilled is much more competitive now, everything is more competitive now, this ain't Mayberry. Then you have the issue of the hidden costs of lower wages, costs to us ...the tax payers. More people in need of social welfare assistance because they don't earn enough to cover basic needs.

Last edited:
How are people supposed to better themselves when they can't even save any money or have any time for any education?

O'Reilly and the rest of the right-wing fools might want to take a look at this Harvard study. Facts and science often have a left-wing bias.

Study Finds Poverty Reduces Brain Power

How, in the face of soaring corporate profits do you justify a minimum wage that has not increased in 4 yrs or even kept up with inflation. Not to mention that BO is an old fart, the world has changed. Finding a job if you are unskilled is much more competitive now, everything is more competitive now, this ain't Mayberry. Then you have the issue of the hidden costs of lower wages, costs to us ...the tax payers. More people in need of social welfare assistance because they don't earn enough to cover basic needs.
The job remains the same. It is an unskilled job meant for teenagers and adults looking for second income. Just because someone has decided they want to make McDonalds a 'career' does not obligate McDonalds to pay more than what the job is worth. Its comical that you think people are entitled to more of those corporate profits. Well...actually...you ARE...if you buy stock. As an employee? Put your hat back on and be grateful you have a job you are at least 'qualified' for. When i can fire you and replace you in a minute with a teenager with no job skills, you are working in a minimum wage job.

What is the least amount of money that everyone should have then?

How are people supposed to better themselves when they can't even save any money or have any time for any education?

O'Reilly and the rest of the right-wing fools might want to take a look at this Harvard study. Facts and science often have a left-wing bias.

You know what...if you're 25, and still making minimum wage, you've failed as a productive citizen. Even McDonald's workers get raises. Look at how many assistant managers (or managers, for that point) are under 25. Those jobs aren't minimum wage. No...I'm sorry...but you flat out suck as a person, if you can't get out from under minimum wage.

...and if you can't (because you're a horrible person), go find another minimum wage job. Go find a third.

You know that phrase "Mexicans do jobs that others don't want?" Well, minimum wage is for people who can't do anything else.

Way to go, loser. Make sure those fries are fresh too, or did you screw THAT up as well?

I know...let's leave minimum wage alone, and legalize prostitution. I mean...how can you screw up just laying down?

Bill O'Reilly is likely one of the more logical talking-heads on television. However, there are times where he misses the mark.

Finding a job if you are unskilled is much more competitive now, everything is more competitive now, this ain't Mayberry.

I'll laud that Bill O'Reilly did the right thing growing up, he worked up the ladder. But as you said this isn't Mayberry, and without a college degree, which he was fortunate to have, it's not quite as easy to land ever improving gigs like him. . . also, if your not a harmless looking white guy, it gets even more difficult.

Nowadays, there are plenty of people with fancy college degrees that still can't will their way into prosperity.

You know what...if you're 25, and still making minimum wage, you've failed as a productive citizen.

Maybe fifteen years ago I would've agreed with you.

However, this is 2013 and the outlook for people isn't quite what it used to be. While telling his story, Bill carefully illustrated all of the hard-work that went into his career. He also, indirectly showed his privilege, which is critical in most success stories.

One thing he didn't talk about though was blind luck. . . probably the biggest factor in all of this is blind luck. You can do all of the right things and still not succeed, right place - right time sort of thing.

However, this is 2013 and the outlook for people isn't quite what it used to be. While telling his story, Bill carefully illustrated all of the hard-work that went into his career. He also, indirectly showed his privilege, which is critical in most success stories.

One thing he didn't talk about though was blind luck. . . probably the biggest factor in all of this is blind luck. You can do all of the right things and still not succeed, right place - right time sort of thing.

There are currently less than 3% of those working in the U.S. that receive onl the minimum wage. Luck is defined, by me, as when opportunity meets preparedness, lacking either will give you "bad luck". You have considerable control over your preparedness, not so much over your opportunity, yet one should also be prepared to seek opportunity elsewhere. When you find yourself standing in a deep hole it is time to stop digging. ;)

Funny how O'Reilly was tight-lipped about molesting and sexually harassment of his co-workers!
Dam he even paid the women to be quite about it....:lamo

Precisely, great posts both. The glare of white privilege can sometimes be blinding. I think many do not understand how outdated and utterly unrealistic the whole "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" thinking is. Not to mention that it really only makes sense if you are picking yourself up of a tidily quaffed lawn.

O'Reilly also recently said that he thought that the minimum wage was currently around $12/hr (obviously he was mistaken) and went on to explain that he thought that min wage should be raised to around $15.

The guy is totally out of touch with the common man.

But apparently very in touch with his employees.

OReilly is 6'4" and very outspoken, not some "harmless looking white guy". And he wasn't "fortunate" to get a degree, he earned it.

Bill O'Reilly is likely one of the more logical talking-heads on television. However, there are times where he misses the mark.

I'll laud that Bill O'Reilly did the right thing growing up, he worked up the ladder. But as you said this isn't Mayberry, and without a college degree, which he was fortunate to have, it's not quite as easy to land ever improving gigs like him. . . also, if your not a harmless looking white guy, it gets even more difficult.

Nowadays, there are plenty of people with fancy college degrees that still can't will their way into prosperity.

Last edited:
Do you have a source?

O'Reilly also recently said that he thought that the minimum wage was currently around $12/hr (obviously he was mistaken) and went on to explain that he thought that min wage should be raised to around $15.

The guy is totally out of touch with the common man.

OReilly is 6'4" and very outspoken, not some "harmless looking white guy". And he wasn't "fortunate" to get a degree, he earned it.

O'Reilly has no visible tattoos, a light complexion. . . height doesn't enter into the situation.

As far as the college degree, I know that he worked for the degree, but doesn't account for the fact that people are lucky to be able to get into the school in the first place.

1. The outlook for people is EXACTLY what it was 15 years ago. What's the difference? Culture. We've lost the culture of striving to succeed. We've lost the perseverance to make something of ourselves. Instead, our culture is that of wealth-envy, instead of wealth-opportunity. Hard work? Bleah. I'd rather petition Mother Government to steal that wealth from others, and just "give" it to me. After all...I can't be expected to get those grillz, cable TV, iPhone and other stuff AND pay bills!

2. There is no luck involved. Tell me who "did all the right things" and didn't succeed. People, in general, are exactly where they deserve to be. Hard work is just that....hard.

The glare of white privilege can sometimes be blinding.
White Privilege, my ass. Ignorant excuses for personal failure.

I think many do not understand how outdated and utterly unrealistic the whole "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" thinking is.
You know who think this? Losers. 30-year old minimum wage workers who can't even work a computer. Folks who do "just enough" to get by, with no motivation to strive for something better.

Not to mention that it really only makes sense if you are picking yourself up of a tidily quaffed lawn.
Save your tears in a glass, for when I'm thirsty.

1. The outlook for people is EXACTLY what it was 15 years ago. What's the difference? Culture. We've lost the culture of striving to succeed. We've lost the perseverance to make something of ourselves. Instead, our culture is that of wealth-envy, instead of wealth-opportunity. Hard work? Bleah. I'd rather petition Mother Government to steal that wealth from others, and just "give" it to me. After all...I can't be expected to get those grillz, cable TV, iPhone and other stuff AND pay bills!

2. There is no luck involved. Tell me who "did all the right things" and didn't succeed. People, in general, are exactly where they deserve to be. Hard work is just that....hard.

White Privilege, my ass. Ignorant excuses for personal failure.

You know who think this? Losers. 30-year old minimum wage workers who can't even work a computer. Folks who do "just enough" to get by, with no motivation to strive for something better.

Save your tears in a glass, for when I'm thirsty.

Seriously, seriously....for your rebuttal you trot out the tired old lines you've been fed from conservative talking heads.

This is interesting:

Pepper isn’t the only CEO to pay fast food workers much more than minimum wage. The In-N-Out burger chain starts employees at $10.50 an hour, and workers at Dicks Drive-In in Seattle start at $10. Moo Cluck Moo, a burger chain in Detroit, pays its workers $12 an hour.

The CEO of McDonald’s has claimed that his company also pays above the minimum wage, but even if that’s true, pay is mere cents above $7.25.
The company also admitted that its wages and benefits are so low that to get by workers should consider getting a second job and not paying for heat.

The Burrito Chain That Pays Entry-Level Workers $10 An Hour And Wants To Pay More | ThinkProgress

How are people supposed to better
themselves when they can't even save
any money or have any time for any education?

LOL !!!

And we should take money from the rich and " help these folks out " ?

I mean you post that nonsense but offer up no solutions.

Unless your solution is the same solution the rest of the left wing idiots have been spouting...

Those poor folk jist need more money...

How simplistic.

Last edited:
This is interesting:

Pepper isn’t the only CEO to pay fast food workers much more than minimum wage. The In-N-Out burger chain starts employees at $10.50 an hour, and workers at Dicks Drive-In in Seattle start at $10. Moo Cluck Moo, a burger chain in Detroit, pays its workers $12 an hour.

The CEO of McDonald’s has claimed that his company also pays above the minimum wage, but even if that’s true, pay is mere cents above $7.25.
The company also admitted that its wages and benefits are so low that to get by workers should consider getting a second job and not paying for heat.

The Burrito Chain That Pays Entry-Level Workers $10 An Hour And Wants To Pay More | ThinkProgress

And what is your point dude? That some fast foods don't pay minimum wage? Yeah, that's ok. But that's not the issue. The companies that pay more, do so because they feel the market can handle that. Those that don't, don't. If you raise the minimum wage, you force all companies to give out 15$/h at minimum wage. At this rate, it'll be cheaper for burgers to be made in China and exported to the USA.

You know what...if you're 25, and still making minimum wage, you've failed as a productive citizen. Even McDonald's workers get raises. Look at how many assistant managers (or managers, for that point) are under 25. Those jobs aren't minimum wage. No...I'm sorry...but you flat out suck as a person, if you can't get out from under minimum wage.

...and if you can't (because you're a horrible person), go find another minimum wage job. Go find a third.

You know that phrase "Mexicans do jobs that others don't want?" Well, minimum wage is for people who can't do anything else.

Way to go, loser. Make sure those fries are fresh too, or did you screw THAT up as well?

I know...let's leave minimum wage alone, and legalize prostitution. I mean...how can you screw up just laying down?

Fill every job opening in the country right now. Something like 8 million people wont have jobs at all.

Are they screw ups?

Back
Top Bottom