• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Outstanding Talking Points Memo by O'Reilly [W:52]

Precisely, great posts both. The glare of white privilege can sometimes be blinding. I think many do not understand how outdated and utterly unrealistic the whole "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" thinking is. Not to mention that it really only makes sense if you are picking yourself up of a tidily quaffed lawn.

There is no such thing as white privilege. It's a myth.

And what is your point dude? That some fast foods don't pay minimum wage? Yeah, that's ok. But that's not the issue. The companies that pay more, do so because they feel the market can handle that. Those that don't, don't. If you raise the minimum wage, you force all companies to give out 15$/h at minimum wage. At this rate, it'll be cheaper for burgers to be made in China and exported to the USA.

Probably be healthier too. Dude.

How are people supposed to better themselves when they can't even save any money or have any time for any education?

O'Reilly and the rest of the right-wing fools might want to take a look at this Harvard study. Facts and science often have a left-wing bias.

Study Finds Poverty Reduces Brain Power

You can argue: poverty reduces brain power.

but you can just as well say: poverty is an indicative of reduced brain power.

Get it? Just because a study, published by 4 random people, whom from as far as I can tell, have published just this, say so, doesn't make it so. You'd be shocked how many idiots are in universities these days. Critical thinking is basically beaten out of them and with the further institutionalization of "the correct way of thinking" and large egos, alternative viewpoints are often disregarded and discouraged.

Probably be healthier too. Dude.

You didn't see the report that toilet water in China was cleaner than KFC's ice cubes?

I don't even want to think about how they make their burgers.

You're not serious are you? Or are you just that blind?

If there were such a thing as racial privilege, you'd have all white people very rich and all black people very poor. And that's not true. You have tons of white people who are scraping together month to month.

There is just 1 privilege: those that can do stuff that is worth money vS those that can't.

Seriously, seriously....for your rebuttal you trot out the tired old lines you've been fed from conservative talking heads.
No. These are MY words. Not only do I know a lot of people who've worked these jobs, but I've worked them too. Hell, I was a stupid cart monkey for Target just a few years ago, after being laid off from a real job. Did I whine and demand undeserved wages? No. I got a better job. How? I'm not a useless citizen. My skills landed me a job that tripled what I made at Target. It.Wasnt.Hard.

The CEO of McDonald’s has claimed that his company also pays above the minimum wage, but even if that’s true, pay is mere cents above $7.25.
The company also admitted that its wages and benefits are so low that to get by workers should consider getting a second job and not paying for heat.
Solution: Don't work at McDonald's, stupid worker.
Solution #2: Don't patronize McDonald's, if you don't like them. That's the beauty of capitalism.

If there were such a thing as racial privilege, you'd have all white people very rich and all black people very poor. And that's not true. You have tons of white people who are scraping together month to month.

That is a dramatic oversimplification. What in life falls that cleaning into line? Where if you do this you ALWAYS get this result. Life does not work that way and there are a million things that impact whether or not your hard work pays off.

You didn't see the report that toilet water in China was cleaner than KFC's ice cubes?

I don't even want to think about how they make their burgers.

There is just 1 privilege: those that can do stuff that is worth money vS those that can't.

A fine example of binary thinking. Why is it so common on the right?

On the subject, Bill-O working in the fast food business back when he was young. He made more money back then, than the person working the same job today

A federal minimum wage was first set in 1938. The graph shows nominal (blue diamonds) and real (red squares) minimum wage values. Nominal values range from $0.25/hr in 1938 to the current $7.25/hr. The graph adjusts these wages to 2012 dollars (red squares) to show the real value of the minimum wage. Calculated in real 2012 dollars, the 1968 minimum wage was the highest at $10.51. The real dollar minimum wage (red squares) falls during periods Congress does not raise the minimum wage to keep up with inflation. The minimum wage increased in three $0.70 increments--to $5.85 in July, 2007, $6.55 in July, 2008, and to $7.25 in July 2009. The 2012 minimum wage is equal to what was paid in 1960.

center]minwage.jpg[/cemter]

Fill every job opening in the country right now. Something like 8 million people wont have jobs at all.

Are they screw ups?

Hmm....yet there are eleven million ILLEGAL people living and working in this country. But go on, you liberals...keep letting them decrease the number of available jobs.

That is a dramatic oversimplification. What in life falls that cleaning into line? Where if you do this you ALWAYS get this result. Life does not work that way and there are a million things that impact whether or not your hard work pays off.

You basically said: blarg.
My oversimplifications was done because I was not going to write a 200 page long essay on how life works. If you need an education in how life works, you won't get it on the internet.

Either make a valid point regarding either the increase of minimum wage for unskilled labor or your so-called myth white privilege or piss off.

A fine example of binary thinking. Why is it so common on the right?

On the subject, Bill-O working in the fast food business back when he was young. He made more money back then, than the person working the same job today

I'll have you know that binary is what makes the world go round. I'm an engineer, so I know what I'm talking about. I'm also a lot smarter than you.

1010000110100111100111110011 110111111001101100110

This is ASCII.:)

You basically said: blarg.
My oversimplifications was done because I was not going to write a 200 page long essay on how life works. If you need an education in how life works, you won't get it on the internet.

Either make a valid point regarding either the increase of minimum wage for unskilled labor or your so-called myth white privilege or piss off.

WOW, taking those gloves off pretty quick aren't there Raindrop. Hemorrhoids acting up today.?

I'll have you know that binary is what makes the world go round. I'm an engineer, so I know what I'm talking about. I'm also a lot smarter than you.

1010000110100111100111110011 110111111001101100110

This is ASCII.:)

Does this kind of response make you feel like the big smart man, pissing all over everyone else's post you arrogant prick.

WOW, taking those gloves off pretty quick aren't there Raindrop. Hemorrhoids acting up today.?

Does this kind of response make you feel like the big smart man, pissing all over everyone else's post you arrogant prick.

I'm done with you. You've shown the full extent of your debating capabilities and they're laughable. I am a big smart man. And I shall wear my intelligence with pride because it's no shame in being smart.

I'm done with you. You've shown the full extent of your debating capabilities and they're laughable.

You are pathetic and frightened. Resorting to insults and bullying to make yourself feel powerful. Good luck with that.

Until O'Reilly apologize for his sexual harassment crimes ...I will not listen to him.

O'Reilly says something stupid about how giant corporations with CEOs making millions should pay workers a pittance, and the usual suspects join in on his rightwing talking points.

Perfect teabaggery.

I'm done with you. You've shown the full extent of your debating capabilities and they're laughable. I am a big smart man. And I shall wear my intelligence with pride because it's no shame in being smart.

It's not your intelligence that's the problem, it is your utter lack of dimension or depth. You are ACSII code.

You are pathetic and frightened. Resorting to insults and bullying to make yourself feel powerful. Good luck with that.

I haven't even insulted you yet. I simply responded to your pretentious responses with the same mannerism. You should be grateful that I am still responding to your comments in a thoughtful manner, enticing you to conversation. Please tell me more about why there should be a mandatory minimum wage. Go on. I'm eager to hear them. Please tell me more about white privilege. I'm eager for a chat. I have about 2h to kill on the internet and debating such topics is as good as it gets.

Come on. Come on. Come on!

And yes, I am an ASCII code. And a C#. And a C++. And a Java code. I am... Neo. The matrix. Now full of kitten videos :)

The job remains the same. It is an unskilled job meant for teenagers and adults looking for second income. Just because someone has decided they want to make McDonalds a 'career' does not obligate McDonalds to pay more than what the job is worth. Its comical that you think people are entitled to more of those corporate profits. Well...actually...you ARE...if you buy stock. As an employee? Put your hat back on and be grateful you have a job you are at least 'qualified' for. When i can fire you and replace you in a minute with a teenager with no job skills, you are working in a minimum wage job.

I actually agree with you, and find it laughable that someone taking microwaved burgers and pre-packaged fries and putting them on a tray thinks they deserve to be paid top dollar.

The problem is that our economy has become "service oriented," so that the vast majority of jobs are in fast food, Wal-Mart style customer service, or some other retail service. Gone are the days when a "blue collar" worker could find a job in the Steel Industry, or some other production industry with the possible exception of Oil.

Most of the 3 million plus jobs currently available are in the lower end of the wage spectrum in service employment (I include jobs like office adminstration which is white collar service.) Yes, we have a growing need for technicians but we also have a growing pool of techinical labor filling those positions.

I don't think the answer is raising the minimum wage for service jobs, but rather figuring out a way to re-industrialize our nation while trying to compete with cheap labor in overpopulated foreign countries.

This is interesting:

Pepper isn’t the only CEO to pay fast food workers much more than minimum wage. The In-N-Out burger chain starts employees at $10.50 an hour, and workers at Dicks Drive-In in Seattle start at $10. Moo Cluck Moo, a burger chain in Detroit, pays its workers $12 an hour.

The CEO of McDonald’s has claimed that his company also pays above the minimum wage, but even if that’s true, pay is mere cents above $7.25.
The company also admitted that its wages and benefits are so low that to get by workers should consider getting a second job and not paying for heat.

The Burrito Chain That Pays Entry-Level Workers $10 An Hour And Wants To Pay More | ThinkProgress
Or...you know...get a high school degree, maybe get their acne to clear up, go to a trade college, and plan for an actual career NOT mopping floors or setting the timer on a fryer.

Back
Top Bottom