• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Outrage in Stanford Rape Case Over Light Sentence for Attacker and Statement [W:377]

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/u...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

A sexual assault case at Stanford University has ignited public outrage and a recall effort against a California judge after the defendant was sentenced to six months in a jail and his father complained that his son’s life had been ruined for “20 minutes of action” fueled by alcohol and promiscuity.

The case has made headlines since the trial concluded earlier this year but seized the public’s attention over the weekend after a Santa Clara County Superior Court judge, Aaron Persky, on Thursday handed the defendant, Brock Allen Turner, 20, what many critics denounced as a lenient sentence, including three years’ probation, for three felony counts of sexual assault.
3 charges - 6 months jail- 3 years probation -thoughts are?

Re: Outrage in Stanford Rape Case Over Light Sentence for Attacker and Statement by H

I think that judge needs to forced into retirement or kicked out because clearly he has failed to do his job.

Re: Outrage in Stanford Rape Case Over Light Sentence for Attacker and Statement by H

Another affluenza baby, he's too precious to go to jail! Give me a break.

I just came across a recall petition online.

I'll see if I can re-find it.

Stanford asshole.

This is an unfortunate trend that's been occuring for quite a few years now.

What, exactly, did he do to her? I read "sexual assault" numerous times when discussed officially, but only read "rape" two times when it was talking in general. What he actually did will make a difference in my response.

What, exactly, did he do to her? I read "sexual assault" numerous times when discussed officially, but only read "rape" two times when it was talking in general. What he actually did will make a difference in my response.

He was penetrating her behind a dumpster while she was unconscious.

If she was truly unconscious, then obviously she could not consent, and yeah that might sustain a serious sexual assault charge.

I know that an awake but inebriated women cannot (technically) consent either, but have no idea what charge that might be. Perhaps it is rape in both instances, due to lack of consent?

I fail to see the frat boy's wrongdoing or the leniency of the sentence. As I see it, both got drunk in a filthy frat party and were unaware of their subsequent actions. That the girl realized she was screwed in a dumpster after sobering up has no bearing to culpability or the law. Want to preserve precious volition? don't get drunk. Want to get drunk but not get ****ed? don't get drunk in frat parties. People are clamoring against the verdict and are ascribing it to privilege, but the fact is, the law pandered to worthless sensitivities and pandered to the woman in question when it felt it had no choice but to mete some sort of punishment and ascribe some measure of culpability to the guy.

I fail to see the frat boy's wrongdoing or the leniency of the sentence. As I see it, both got drunk in a filthy frat party and were unaware of their subsequent actions. That the girl realized she was screwed in a dumpster after sobering up has no bearing to culpability or the law. Want to preserve precious volition? don't get drunk. Want to get drunk but not get ****ed? don't get drunk in frat parties. People are clamoring against the verdict and are ascribing it to privilege, but the fact is, the law pandered to worthless sensitivities and pandered to the woman in question when it felt it had no choice but to mete some sort of punishment and ascribe some measure of culpability to the guy.

Uhh....the story I heard was she was completely unconscious, two other guys discovered the rape while it was in progress, chased down the accused and held him until the police arrived. Since then multiple juries (I've heard three juries so far) have all found the accused guilty.

The f'n kid and the f'n judge should both serve time in jail and perhaps while they're in there they might come to understand what non-consensual sex is all about.

This outcome is a complete and total travesty of the justice system. Being drunk and unconscious is NOT consent to sex.

To suggest the girl is somehow at fault here is frighteningly disgusting.

Having sex with someone who's unconscious is assault.

That is rape. In that case, I agree that the sentence is not even close to harsh enough. IMHO, rape should be second only to murder in the amount of time a person must serve. There is no other crime, short of murder, that is as heinous as rape.

I liked the judge's reasoning that a prison sentence would have severe impact on the perp.

While I agree that to avoid being raped while drunk at a frat party, one solution is to avoid being drunk at a frat party. The sentence having a severe impact should not be a factor when sentencing.

Bottom line is this.

Rich family. White. Male. Star Athlete.

HE MUST BE PROTECTED!!!!!

The Judge followed the Probation Department's Recommendation.

I think that judge needs to forced into retirement or kicked out because clearly he has failed to do his job.

Another affluenza baby, he's too precious to go to jail! Give me a break.
This has absolutely nothing to do with "affluenza".

If she was truly unconscious, then obviously she could not consent, and yeah that might sustain a serious sexual assault charge.

They were both inebriated.
Her consenting doesn't prohibit her from passing out while in the act, nor does his drunken stupor necessitate that he notice.
"If" that is what happened it shouldn't be considered rape.

Yeah that slut had it coming, should't of been drinking. She prolly had her face all painted up like trash too.

Her consenting doesn't prohibit her from passing out while in the act, nor does his drunken stupor necessitate that he notice.

Then clearly both that judge and the people on the probation recommendation board need to be fired because clearly both failed to do their job then. He found her unconscious and raped her, whether he or she was drunk or not has nothing to do with it.

He found her unconscious and raped her, whether he or she was drunk or not has nothing to do with it.
Those are not the totality of the facts in this case.

Then clearly both that judge and the people on the probation recommendation board need to be fired because clearly both failed to do their job then.
The Probation Department is the one doing the Presentence Investigation and recommending. They are far more knowledgeable of this case than you or I are and they are usually as biased as the Prosecution is.
The fact that they only recommended a six months sentence should tell you that there are facts involved in this sentence that we are not aware about.

Never stated it had anything to do with the so called "affluenza" defense.
And that does not hold the Judge to adhering to it. This was a BS sentence.
3 felony charges, rape and receives 6 months.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/u...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

The judge, identified by The Guardian as a Stanford alumnus, handed Mr. Turner, a champion swimmer, far less than the maximum 14 years after he was convicted, pointing out that he had no “significant” prior offenses, he had been affected by the intense media coverage, and “there is less moral culpability attached to the defendant, who is ... intoxicated,” The Guardian said.

The probation officer weighed the fact that he has surrendered a hard-earned swimming scholarship. How fast Brock swims does not lessen the severity of what happened to me, and should not lessen the severity of his punishment. If a first-time offender from an underprivileged background was accused of three felonies and displayed no accountability for his actions other than drinking, what would his sentence be? The fact that Brock was an athlete at a private university should not be seen as an entitlement to leniency, but as an opportunity to send a message that sexual assault is against the law regardless of social class.

Then the Judge has the audacity, oh he was intoxicated at the time he was raping her for assigning a lesser sentence.

The above bolded, is that opinion on your part?

This should help you see the light.

Those are not the totality of the facts in this case.

The Probation Department is the one doing the Presentence Investigation and recommending. They are far more knowledgeable of this case than you or I are and they are usually as biased as the Prosecution is.
The fact that they only recommended a six months sentence should tell you that there are facts involved in this sentence that we are not aware about.

Two students riding their bikes spotted him on top of her. She wasn't moving. He ran, they chased and caught him for the police. (They're hero's) The victim had no memory of the rape. Those are the facts. He was convicted of three felony counts and must register as a sex offender. This judge stated that a harsher penalty would have a "severe impact" on the aspiring athlete. What about the severe impact on the victim? Rape isn't about alcohol. It's about choices, to rape or not.

Back
Top Bottom