• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Outrage as Newt Gingrich says Capitol attack investigators could be jailed

If they take the Congress they will probably drop all investigations that could indite and send any Republican or Trump supporter to jail and start up a bunch of new investigations into any and all Dems they think even spit on the side walk and try to send them to jail.
They are not interested in finding out the truth they are all for promoting the Party at any cost Screw the American people and the Country the Republican Party comes first
Have a nice day
No, that is not the GOP way. Their way is to determine who the Dem frontrunner is and to focus on them, not simply use a scattershot approach. They did this to Bill Clinton back in the 90's as he approached his 2nd term. They held "hearings" and "investigations" all focused on Bill Clinton. They appointed a 'special' prosecutor to dig up dirt on the Clintons in the land investment scandal known as Whitewater. And that special prosecutor came up with NOTHING after spending $50 million of taxpayers' money - until someone decided to drop a stained dress in his lap. And that became the "big scandal" of the Clinton years. A willing intern gave the president a BJ in the WH. Oh, clutch your pearls!

Then they went after Al Gore, the frontrunner for the Dems in 2000 and defeated him handly. Then they focused on John Kerry, a Vietnam vet, whom they trashed with outrageous lies about his military service, including his purple hearts. To hear the GOP tell it, Kerry was fighting on the side of the Viet Cong.

Then of course, Hillary was the frontrunner during the primaries of 2008, so she had to be stopped by telling big lies like she led a pedophile ring, she was a lesbian, and she ordered people murdered. Then a funny thing happened. A BLACK MAN FROM KENYA was trying to be president. Change the FOCUS, QUICK!

Then there was Hillary again in 2016. So, let's whadda got? Oh yeah, BENGHAZIIIIII!!!!!! What was it? She personally grabbed the phone and ordered the U.S. Marines to stand down as our diplomatic staff was being slaughtered. Remember that? Oh, and then there was HER SERVER! She was selling government secrets out of the basement? Or was it the trunk of her car? Let's have some hearings. Yeah, that's the ticket! Hearings! Let's put her under oath right in the middle of her campaign and see if she sweats! The GOP even admitted they had no intention of seeking prosecution (based on nothing BTW), they simply wanted to hurt Hillary politically. Mission accomplished!

Then in 2020, Trump tried to strong arm an ally country to "announce" an investigation into Joe Biden (the frontrunner). When that didn't work, he ordered the AG to order all US AGs across the country to "investigate" any "credible" allegations against anyone named Biden. When that didn't pan out, he appointed a "special prosecutor" to investigate anyone named Biden and return indictments before the election. That too, fell flat.

So, don't worry. The GOP will not waste its political capital on nothing. They will launch "investigations" into whatever happens to be the 'scandal' of the day, provided it is focused on whomever is perceived to be the frontrunner for the Dems at the moment. Wannabes and pretenders need not apply.

I do not think your characterization of the brief is right, no.
Hmm, I don't think you did any research before you responded.

As a threshold matter, the Court lacks subject matter jurisdiction to hear this dispute. The Constitution’s Speech or Debate Clause provides absolute immunity to Members and committees when performing legislative acts. That clause and the constitutional separation of powers doctrine prohibit courts from, among other things, “ordering a congressional committee to return, destroy, or refrain from publishing” subpoenaed documents.....

Denying any court has jurisdiction to review actions by the committee. Congress is claiming more power as an investigative body than the Executive branch possesses and stating there is no oversight or denial available by any branch. That should scare the hell out of you, because this is terrible precedent.

Do we have thousands of hours of footage which reveals the activity of the perpetrators leading up to the assault of the Capitol? How about inside the White House? Where do we get information about what calls went out to the National Guard and law enforcement? What conversations took place before and during the attack? And between whom?

It sounds like you would like to hang this on some poor fools like the burning of Germany's Reichstag was. No point in seeing how far up the conspiracy goes, right? Let's just blame it on a bunch of stupid knuckleheads and call it a day.
i would think they arent so stupid if the FBI & DOJ hasnt been able to tie evidence down to anyone but them.....and according to you, it should be everywhere

I mean.....we are over a year into the investigation.....if there was a THERE there, you would think someone might have found it by now, no?

You guys have around 10 months left to pull a rabbit out of your asses.....someone better find that magic hat somewhere

I can't believe that he's a far right wing extremist. He just always seemed so reasonable.
If you want to see who changed, look in a mirror. This is nothing more than another in a long line of Democrats trying to get us to think that the Republicans are who's doing what the Dems actually are.

Newt Gingrich says Capitol attack investigators could be jailed

---That's the very kind of thing a fascist dictator would say.

I can't believe that he's a far right wing extremist. He just always seemed so reasonable.
He still is. It's your frame of reference which has shifted.

Calling the members of the 6 January committee “wolves [who] are going to find out that they’re now sheep”, he said that if Republicans take Congress in November, “this is all going to come crashing down … they’re the ones who in fact, I think, face a real risk of jail for the kinds of laws they’re breaking”.

I dunno if the people on the committee have broken any laws....i would hope not. But if they have, shouldnt they have to answer for their supposed crimes?
Yes.

The House 1/6 Committee is just conducting a broad based politically driven smear campaign, which apparently is within the law.
It doesn't change what they are actually conducting, specific to legality. But don't make their politically driven smear campaign particularly appealing either.

I have zero clue if he has any proof of these claims, but i would hope he does....otherwise, why say it?

But i have no issue with ANYONE who breaks the laws paying the price....ANYONE.
Also agreed. May the criminal justice system chips fall where they may.

Exactly.

If these people broke laws during the investigation, they should be prosecuted.

That includes lying, evidence fabrication, tampering and omission.

I don't know if that happened. But if it did, they should be prosecuted.
Thought that already had happened?

TodayThe Federalist reports, however, that Schiff doctored text messages he presented to the committee, altering the text and creating the false impression in a visual presentation that he was quoting original text messages rather than fabrications.​

TodayFollowing reporting by The Federalist that Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., and his staff doctored a text message between Rep. Jim Jordan and former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, the House ...​

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Witchhunt) has once again been caught manipulating evidence: the House Jan. 6 committee on Wednesday admitted that Schiff had altered a text message from Rep. Jim Jordan (R ...​

The full text message, which was forwarded to Meadows from Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, on the evening of Monday, Jan. 5, was significantly longer than what Schiff read and put on screen, but Schiff ...​

Adam Schiff Appears To Fake Evidence In Text Messages At January 6 Committee. The committee discussed its motion that Mark Meadows, former chief of staff to the White House, be held in contempt of Congress for refusing to disclose information about Trump's executive privilege. Schiff altered the text messages he presented to the committee.​

I don't know. Why does the right object to an actual investigation to start with?

If...IF there was an actual violation of law by the committee, then yes appropriate measures can be taken. But this appears as nothing more than another cog in the 1/6 Obstruction campaign the Right has waged.
. . . .
To call the Democrat politically motivated and politically driven political smear campaign of the 1/6 House Committee an 'investigation' is as much a laugh as it 'Searching for truth' or its trying to prevent a recurrence.
Why is this committee not interested in any of these topics?
If the committee were really in search of the truth to prevent a recurrence, why are they apparently disinterested in these topics?

So, no, this 1/6 House Committee isn't an investigation, it's a Democrat politically motivated and politically driven political smear campaign.

Hmm, I don't think you did any research before you responded.

Denying any court has jurisdiction to review actions by the committee. Congress is claiming more power as an investigative body than the Executive branch possesses and stating there is no oversight or denial available by any branch. That should scare the hell out of you, because this is terrible precedent.
Only Congress has power over legislative acts? No I don't agree that this is a terrifying claim.

You should read the rest of that document.

If you want to see who changed, look in a mirror. This is nothing more than another in a long line of Democrats trying to get us to think that the Republicans are who's doing what the Dems actually are.
Projection

Yes, it's a cog on the 1/6 Obstructionist machine. All they can do now is scramble to attack the committee itself and try to discredit it, as we are seeing more and more Trump's role in the 1/6 Sedition.
How is:
"questioning the procedures, evidence and methods used. Seems reasonable to me. It should all be done by the book. No more Adam Schiff shows."

equate to 'a cog on the 1/6 Obstructionist machine'?

How is:
"questioning the procedures, evidence and methods used. Seems reasonable to me. It should all be done by the book. No more Adam Schiff shows."

equate to 'a cog on the 1/6 Obstructionist machine'?
How is "investigate an actual attack on Congress in a violent attempt to overthrow the election results" some partisan "witch hunt"?

How is "investigate an actual attack on Congress in a violent attempt to overthrow the election results" some partisan "witch hunt"?
I'm not afraid of anything.

To call the Democrat politically motivated and politically driven political smear campaign of the 1/6 House Committee an 'investigation' is as much a laugh as it 'Searching for truth' or its trying to prevent a recurrence.
Why is this committee not interested in any of these topics?
If the committee were really in search of the truth to prevent a recurrence, why are they apparently disinterested in these topics?

So, no, this 1/6 House Committee isn't an investigation, it's a Democrat politically motivated and politically driven political smear campaign.

Democrats have always before been spineless cowardly weasels that caved to republican bully tactics.

Seems they are finally showing a spine.

Drives the right crazy. You will see Republicans double down on the bullying. They will look like Giuliani with spittle flying and sweat and hair die running down his face.

All for naught! Trump is going down!

Democrats have always before been spineless cowardly weasels that caved to republican bully tactics.

Seems they are finally showing a spine.

Drives the right crazy. You will see Republicans double down on the bullying. They will look like Giuliani with spittle flying and sweat and hair die running down his face.

All for naught! Trump is going down!
Pure projection. As has been demonstrated in the public record, that what the left accuses others of, is what they themselves are guilty of and trying to hide.

Only Congress has power over legislative acts? No I don't agree that this is a terrifying claim.

You should read the rest of that document.
I did read it all. Congress is holding that it has unlimited power in its investigative duties and is stating no jurisdiction from the judicial branch.

What rationale do you find for this sort of power grab?

Newt Gingrich's comments are the equivalent of threatening a jury.

An unorganized and chaotic riot is not the same thing as a "violent insurrection".

If it was, the siege of the Portland courthouse and the destruction of numerous police precincts across America by democrat party activists would be "violent insurrection" too.

The only trivial difference in any of this is that one complete set of riots was funded, organized and supported by the democrat party and the corporate media and one single riot was opposed.

An unorganized and chaotic riot is not the same thing as a "violent insurrection".

If it was, the siege of the Portland courthouse and the destruction of numerous police precincts across America by democrat party activists would be "violent insurrection" too.

The only trivial difference in any of this is that one complete set of riots was funded, organized and supported by the democrat party and the corporate media and one single riot was opposed.
lol

What a stupid crockpot conspiracy theory that bullshit is. The riots do need to be shutdown and people arrested and properly charged. But there was no sedition or insurrection there.

The 1/6 Sedition, on the other hand, was a coordinated and conspired attack on Congress in an effort to undermine the Constitution and American Democracy.

We don't need to hear your sedition excuses and your OAN conspiracies. We've heard that ignorant nonsense before.

lol

What a stupid crockpot conspiracy theory that bullshit is. The riots do need to be shutdown and people arrested and properly charged. But there was no sedition or insurrection there.

The 1/6 Sedition, on the other hand, was a coordinated and conspired attack on Congress in an effort to undermine the Constitution and American Democracy.

We don't need to hear your sedition excuses and your OAN conspiracies. We've heard that ignorant nonsense before.

Coordinated and conspired by who?

That had to have the absolute lamest coup attempt in human history if what you say is true.

Jr high School ROTC members could've planned it better.

That's ridiculous.

On the other hand, the Portland riots were undeed organized by University trained activists. Funded by corporate America and organized by democrat party operatives. They don't even deny it.

Coordinated and conspired by who?

That had to have the absolute lamest coup attempt in human history if what you say is true.

Jr high School ROTC members could've planned it better.

That's ridiculous.

On the other hand, the Portland riots were undeed organized by University trained activists. Funded by corporate America and organized by democrat party operatives. They don't even deny it.
We've already seen about 11 Seditious Conspiracy charges. Might want to pay attention.

We've already seen about 11 Seditious Conspiracy charges. Might want to pay attention.

Just imagine what we could see if the law was applied equally.

I mean if a gimped up old man, unarmed and decrepit can be a "seditionist" then imagine what a crowd of radicalized white leftist youths burning down a police station while changing "death to America" would be considered by sane objective people?

Back
Top Bottom