• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

"Outfoxed" Propagandists Smear Walmart

hipsterdufus said:
I hope you didn't spend too long on this post, because there are no facts here. Anecdotal evidence will not suffice when it comes to the countries largest employer; Walmart

BTW - American's complain about high gas prices when Big Oil is raking in record profits white gas prices are at a record high. Did you notice that as soon as big oil smelled a whiff of windfall profit tax the prices went down?

You just answered your own question, "the largest employer in the country" it's pretty easy to see where mistakes are in that field, they're only everywhere! What an easy target, and how heroic of you liberals to take aim, pffft.:roll:

hipsterdufus said:
I hope you didn't spend too long on this post, because there are no facts here. Anecdotal evidence will not suffice when it comes to the countries largest employer; Walmart

I have supplied you with ample hard facts, apparently you can't rebut them. The fact is Wal-Mart offers very competitive wages and benefits, fairly good products and very good prices. And you object to it.

BTW - American's complain about high gas prices when Big Oil is raking in record profits white gas prices are at a record high.

Duh. If the price is high yes the profits will be high, along with the cost to the producer. But the fact remains the actual profits are right in line with industry across the board, around 9.5%. If it were to fall lower then people would start to sell thier stock because it would no longer be a good investment. Is that what you want?

Did you notice that as soon as big oil smelled a whiff of windfall profit tax the prices went down?

No, I notice the world spot price and futures went down.

But it is telling that on the one hand the left complains that Wal-Mart doesn't charge enough and the oil companies charge too much.

I don't know about all this, but I do know that the Wal-Mart in our town is booming. I also know that Wal-Mart is kicking Winn Dixie and Food Lion's butts, so much that not only has Winn Dixie pulled out of our town, but they closed every grocery store in S.C. Food lion closed 1 of its 2 stores in our town. As a result, hundreds people have lost jobs in this town and across the state.

Don't get me wrong - I like Wal-Mart, and I wish they would knock down the military run BX on base and build a Wal-Mart because the BX has forgotten it is there to serve airmen who don't make a lot of money. They are, instead, bringing in cheaply made, high priced items! That being said, iam not so sure that Wal-Mart's success is great for the economy. I know of several 'Mom&Pop' stores who have closed up as well. I have also heard that, unlike founder Sam Wal-Mart who took pride in announcing to the world that only American-made goods were sold in his country at 1st, his family/the owners now are buying most of their goods from places like China where they have cheap labor, taking jobs out of the country. Yeah, they try to offset the difference by donating a portion of their large profits to communities, but they are making money from the guys they are putting out of business (the ex-Winn Dixie manager with no job is now shopping at Wal-Mart).

I am not Anti-Wal-Mart, but I also haven't made up my mind if their extreme success is a good thing for the country. Of course, bottom line here is 'welcome to Capitalism!'

easyt65 said:
I don't know about all this, but I do know that the Wal-Mart in our town is booming. I also know that Wal-Mart is kicking Winn Dixie and Food Lion's butts, so much that not only has Winn Dixie pulled out of our town, but they closed every grocery store in S.C. Food lion closed 1 of its 2 stores in our town. As a result, hundreds people have lost jobs in this town and across the state.

Both Food Lion and Winn Dixie simply could not compete, on price and on location and convienence. And if the same service can be provided by Wal-Mart then there was a glut of workers in the food industry in your area.

I am not Anti-Wal-Mart, but I also haven't made up my mind if their extreme success is a good thing for the country. Of course, bottom line here is 'welcome to Capitalism!'

What a strange economic theory consumer goods, in good supply and at low prices at convienent locations is bad for the country. I guess you think gas at high prices in spare locations and in short supply is therefore a good for the country?

hipsterdufus said:
I'll be going to see the new Walmart movie with about 150 people in at a local church on Friday, I'll give you a report. My family has boycotted Mal-Wart for the past five years. I think they're terrible for America, and I would be happy to get into in another thread.

Briefly my case against Mal-Wart is:
low wages : average pay is 9.26 an hour
workers on Medicare (often taxpayers pay for their healthcare)
outsourcing American jobs to China
putting the "Made In USA" label on products from people in forced labor and forced prostitution camps in Saipan. Mal-Wart isn't the only co. that does this

Do you have a link for your Tod Hunter story?
BTW- I'm still waiting to hear what "Academic Award" you won for you paper on the media.

If you want to talk about propoganda see below:

bush_propaganda_catapult.jpg

WOW .... 9.26 to ring a register and stock shelves... Can't say as thats all that bad for what your doing..... Way to go wal mart

Calm2Chaos said:
WOW .... 9.26 to ring a register and stock shelves... Can't say as thats all that bad for what your doing..... Way to go wal mart

It's not bad at all, and anymore then that would be Union wages, and we all know where that will lead the company, right down the toilet. I happen to know some folks that work at W.Mart, and they have moved up the ladder quite quickly, and now make 50 to 60 thousand a year. You should be motivated to move up through the ranks, not be satisfied with stocking shelves your entire life. I don't know of any company that does as much hiring from with-in as W.Mart does, they are not this evil company some are claiming them to be. As I said before, it's easy to target this company, they are huge, and of course they are going to have problems, kinda reminds me of our government.:roll:

Deegan said:
It's not bad at all, and anymore then that would be Union wages, and we all know where that will lead the company, right down the toilet. I happen to know some folks that work at W.Mart, and they have moved up the ladder quite quickly, and now make 50 to 60 thousand a year. You should be motivated to move up through the ranks, not be satisfied with stocking shelves your entire life. I don't know of any company that does as much hiring from with-in as W.Mart does, they are not this evil company some are claiming them to be. As I said before, it's easy to target this company, they are huge, and of course they are going to have problems, kinda reminds me of our government.:roll:

Not at all.....

They employe a lot of people at a fair wage for what they do. I love hearing about how there such a horrible company with there low wages. I get curious what these people think a fair wage would be for someone stocking shelves and ringing registers? If there wasn't the walmart you would be working at AA Hardware making less and still have no benifits and have no chance to move anywhere but to another job.

What a strange economic theory consumer goods, in good supply and at low prices at convienent locations is bad for the country. I guess you think gas at high prices in spare locations and in short supply is therefore a good for the country?

Wal-Mart is outsourcing jobs to attain goods at extremely low prices to Americans who no longer have jobs, thanks to Wal-Mart under cutting American businesses that use American goods and American workers but who can not compete with the low prices attained through the outsourcing of jobs, in order to make a profit.

This is good for WalMart, as they are destroying their competition, creating a monopoly-like atmosphere where they have a 'captured' market (as in being the only chain in our area now they have run the other 2 out of business - people HAVE TO shop at Wal Mart). This is good for Wal Mart employees, who are on the Wal mart Payroll.

How can it be bad for the country? Our deficit grows, as we are bringing in even more goods now, thanks in small part to Wal Mart than we are exporting. American business, large and small, who hire Americans, are going under because they can not compete with the low prices attained through outsourcing of labor. Americans are losing their jobs because chains like Winn Dixie, Food Lion, and eventhe Mom&Pop stores are failing to compete for the same reason. Sure, Wal Mart is selling more and doing better, but if they cut the number of jobs, who is going to be able to afford to shop there because no one will have a job (theoretically for argument's sake).

How can it be bad? Let's look at it from a much smaller scale. My dad use to be a Meat Market manager, glorified name for a Butcher. He knew everyone in our hometown, treated everyone like family, and cut their meat for them trimmed fat, made special orders, etc... From a purely 'convenience/friendly/neighborly stand-point, Wal mart had all meat pre-packaged. There are no 'special orders', no customer sevice, and the close-knit 'family feel id s gone - its all 'corporate'. I am not saying Wal Mart is evil for not having that - it is just that I have heard many people say they missed those 'good 'ol days', and the option to go to a place still like that is gone because they couldn't afford to compete.

Depending on how you look at it, there ARE things/aspects of Wal Mart's success and growth that impact negativelyonthe economy and other areas negatively impacting things.

As I said, I can see the great things about Wal Mart, but i am sot shutting my eyes to the negatives that occur as (a result of) Wal Mart grows.

easyt65 said:

Wal-Mart is outsourcing jobs to attain goods at extremely low prices to Americans who no longer have jobs, thanks to Wal-Mart under cutting American businesses that use American goods and American workers but who can not compete with the low prices attained through the outsourcing of jobs, in order to make a profit.

This is good for WalMart, as they are destroying their competition, creating a monopoly-like atmosphere where they have a 'captured' market (as in being the only chain in our area now they have run the other 2 out of business - people HAVE TO shop at Wal Mart). This is good for Wal Mart employees, who are on the Wal mart Payroll.

How can it be bad for the country? Our deficit grows, as we are bringing in even more goods now, thanks in small part to Wal Mart than we are exporting. American business, large and small, who hire Americans, are going under because they can not compete with the low prices attained through outsourcing of labor. Americans are losing their jobs because chains like Winn Dixie, Food Lion, and eventhe Mom&Pop stores are failing to compete for the same reason. Sure, Wal Mart is selling more and doing better, but if they cut the number of jobs, who is going to be able to afford to shop there because no one will have a job (theoretically for argument's sake).

How can it be bad? Let's look at it from a much smaller scale. My dad use to be a Meat Market manager, glorified name for a Butcher. He knew everyone in our hometown, treated everyone like family, and cut their meat for them trimmed fat, made special orders, etc... From a purely 'convenience/friendly/neighborly stand-point, Wal mart had all meat pre-packaged. There are no 'special orders', no customer sevice, and the close-knit 'family feel id s gone - its all 'corporate'. I am not saying Wal Mart is evil for not having that - it is just that I have heard many people say they missed those 'good 'ol days', and the option to go to a place still like that is gone because they couldn't afford to compete.

Depending on how you look at it, there ARE things/aspects of Wal Mart's success and growth that impact negativelyonthe economy and other areas negatively impacting things.

As I said, I can see the great things about Wal Mart, but i am sot shutting my eyes to the negatives that occur as (a result of) Wal Mart grows.

:yt

Nice post easy.

hipsterdufus said:
Briefly my case against Mal-Wart is:
low wages : average pay is 9.26 an hour
workers on Medicare (often taxpayers pay for their healthcare)
outsourcing American jobs to China
putting the "Made In USA" label on products from people in forced labor and forced prostitution camps in Saipan. Mal-Wart isn't the only co. that does this

Do you have a link for your Tod Hunter story?
BTW- I'm still waiting to hear what "Academic Award" you won for you paper on the media.

If you want to talk about propoganda see below:

bush_propaganda_catapult.jpg

1) Labor unions, frivolous lawsuits, tax hikes (things liberals support) kill/send way more jobs overseas than Walmart could come close to.

2) $9.26 is considerably high. And after you were caught using a tabloid site as a citation of fact, nothing you accuse Walmart of is going to be taken at face value.

3) The Tod Hunter thing was from a Fox News interview where Tod Hunter HIMSELF was interviewed and said these things. You can probably find it somewhere on their web site. (If the truth is actually what you are looking for here.:roll: )

4) My University gave me an award for an exceptional media research project-and these people were liberals. The award doesn't have a title, it just reads, "For Excellence in Media Writing."

You may presume that just because you lie through your teeth on this site and use conspiracy theories in place of facts, sheepishly regurgitating Move On's ridiculous rhetoric, that everyone else here needs everything they say scrutinized, but everytime you do this, you are proven wrong.

We aren't like you. Our facts and sources are sensible and credible. Why don't you just try to debate our points instead of trying to cast doubt on common knowledge statements? :roll:

Stinger said:
Both Food Lion and Winn Dixie simply could not compete, on price and on location and convienence. And if the same service can be provided by Wal-Mart then there was a glut of workers in the food industry in your area.

I disagree.
I shop at Food Lion and save a lot more money than when I grocery shop at Wal-Mart. (mostly because of the MVP thing at Food Lion)

Stinger, it sounds like you are one big Advertisement for Wal-Mart on this thread, you must work there.

Its funny.
A few friends of mine used to work at Wal-Mart.

They worked there for two years, neither one of them were getting paid more than $7 an hour.

Caine said:
I disagree.
I shop at Food Lion and save a lot more money than when I grocery shop at Wal-Mart. (mostly because of the MVP thing at Food Lion)

And I shop at Winn-Dixie, on occasion. But usually I need something that Wal-Mart has but Winn-Dixie does not. AND you just proved that Food Lion CAN compete. At one time I like the meat more at Winn-Dixie, but that has gone down now and the Wal-Mart now wins the price/quality equation. Wal-Mart has done nothing unethical or ontowards to it's competitors, it has merely competed. I have some good friends that live north of me and further from the Wal-Mart, there is a Bruno's close to them. They shop there an pay a higher price for the convienence. It's called business.

Stinger, it sounds like you are one big Advertisement for Wal-Mart on this thread, you must work there.

Why is it that either you have to hate Wal-Mart or work there? I appreciate them for the business they do. They are the American story. I don't have the figures but I have read that they created more millionaires from within than just about any other company. People who started there at the beginning and invested in the company. They bring me low prices with quality goods and convienence. No one forces anyone to shop there. ANYONE could have attempted to do what they did.

I do find it hilarious that the anti-business side condems the oil company's for charging to much and Wal-mart for not charging enough.

Caine said:
Its funny.
A few friends of mine used to work at Wal-Mart.

They worked there for two years, neither one of them were getting paid more than $7 an hour.

And after two years they did not get a raise? They never got a promotion? But what is your point?

Stinger said:
And after two years they did not get a raise? They never got a promotion? But what is your point?

Actually, my point has nothing to do with Wal-Mart per se.
But the data that is usually reported about median wages. Its usually higher than most actual wages for the guy who makes sure the toys are in the right place and sweeps the floors and stuff.

Same thing for anything, the "median" pay for Local Law Enforcement is advertised as higher than what you receieve unless your actually making it a career, that sort of thing.
Advertised "Median Pay" means nothing.
Most of the people who are on welfare and all that stuff who work at wal-mart are the ones who are working for the lower wages like 5.25 and hour or 7 per hour.

Oh, yeah, they did get raises, they were STARTED at 5.25 an hour....

Caine said:
Actually, my point has nothing to do with Wal-Mart per se.
But the data that is usually reported about median wages. Its usually higher than most actual wages for the guy who makes sure the toys are in the right place and sweeps the floors and stuff.

DUH

Same thing for anything, the "median" pay for Local Law Enforcement is advertised as higher than what you receieve unless your actually making it a career, that sort of thing.

DUH

Advertised "Median Pay" means nothing.

You think the only wage figure that has any meaning is the starting wage of the lowest paid job? That's absurd.

Most of the people who are on welfare and all that stuff who work at wal-mart are the ones who are working for the lower wages like 5.25 and hour or 7 per hour.

If they come in without a work record and minimal education yes. Do you think they should immediately make the same as someone with a good work record and a good education?

Oh, yeah, they did get raises, they were STARTED at 5.25 an hour....

So they increased their wages by about 30% in two years. But I would be curious why after two years they were not median employees but then I haven't the time to go off on such tangents.

Stinger said:
You think the only wage figure that has any meaning is the starting wage of the lowest paid job? That's absurd.
Never said that I did think that.... so go somewhere else with your ignorant assumptions... DUH
Stinger said:
If they come in without a work record and minimal education yes. Do you think they should immediately make the same as someone with a good work record and a good education?
Are you trying to say that my friend and his wife had a criminal record and poor educational background? They were in college, you figure that one out.

Your assumptions are ignorant, and I do not understand why you are so easily offended.

Yes, the only information that is relevant when considering the "welfare" status of employees that work somewhere IS the lowest paid wage, for those who are paid the lowest are most likely on welfare.

Calm2Chaos said:

Those people make much lower wages, somewhere around $7.00 an hour.
Remember this is average salary.

Bill Gates and I have an average net worth of 21 billion dollars.

hipsterdufus said:
Those people make much lower wages, somewhere around $7.00 an hour.
Remember this is average salary.

Bill Gates and I have an average net worth of 21 billion dollars.

Well the one rings a register... The other developed a product the revolutionized the world.. One has nothing to do with the other. Unles the register ringer develops some monster software she or he has no right or claim to any of bill gates money.

7.00 to ring a register is plenty. Still not sure what you think a decent wage is dor ring a register stocking shelves and sweeping a floor....

Calm2Chaos said:
Well the one rings a register... The other developed a product the revolutionized the world.. One has nothing to do with the other. Unles the register ringer develops some monster software she or he has no right or claim to any of bill gates money.

7.00 to ring a register is plenty. Still not sure what you think a decent wage is dor ring a register stocking shelves and sweeping a floor....

amen
if you want more money, learn a trade or get an education and move up the ladder
60% of walmart employees are women
40% of walmart management are women
More than 1.2 million Associates work at Wal-Mart in the U.S. - they must be their becuase the job sucks :roll:
http://judicial-inc.biz/wal_mart_health_care_supplement.htm#Walmart%20PS%20own%20stock

maybe it is just because i live in florida, but i see alot of old people working at walmart. which means their job is probably an income to supplement their retirement or just something to do, because doing nothign is boring and expensive

DeeJayH said:
amen
if you want more money, learn a trade or get an education and move up the ladder
Yes, Do you understand how hard that is for someone who works two jobs to pay rent/electricity/auto loan/credit cards used to purchase thier furniture/auto insurance/phone/etc (the basics)
I have a friend who is in this position, he has absolutely no time OR money to "get an education and learn a trade" ive told him that crap many times since I moved on and joined the army and 'learned a trade', but I haven't been in that situation so I can't even really speak on it.
60% of walmart employees are women
40% of walmart management are women
More than 1.2 million Associates work at Wal-Mart in the U.S. - they must be their becuase the job sucks :roll:
http://judicial-inc.biz/wal_mart_health_care_supplement.htm#Walmart%20PS%20own%20stock
You seem to have the attitude towards people who work at walmart that you are 'better' than them. I despiste this attitude, but its typical of a Republican fool.

because doing nothign is boring and expensive
As someone who is on unemployment until the Police Academy starts, I couldn't agree with this statement more. :mrgreen:

Caine said:
Yes, Do you understand how hard that is for someone who works two jobs to pay rent/electricity/auto loan/credit cards used to purchase thier furniture/auto insurance/phone/etc (the basics)
I have a friend who is in this position, he has absolutely no time OR money to "get an education and learn a trade" ive told him that crap many times since I moved on and joined the army and 'learned a trade', but I haven't been in that situation so I can't even really speak on it.

POOR LIFE CHOICES
why does he have credit card debt and a car and auto ins. if he is so poor off?
my parents always had 2 jobs if not 3.
if you want it, you can do it
if he was really so busy, he certainly would not have time for friends
its called suck it up
doesnt sound like he would be any worse off, if he took another job, entry level, to learn a trade hands on. there are plenty of jobs that still do that. you don't need to go to college to get a better job, or a trade school
as a matter of fact, from another thread on this board, tell him to join the military where he can make $4000 /month

You seem to have the attitude towards people who work at walmart that you are 'better' than them. I despiste this attitude, but its typical of a Republican fool.

just what part of my post suggested i have a problem with people who work there you democratic fool?
I have no problem with it at all. better than if they were on welfare or slinging rock

As someone who is on unemployment until the Police Academy starts, I couldn't agree with this statement more. :mrgreen:
well all you really have to do, is get yourself a $5-10 lawnchair, a nice 40 ounce and find yourself a good corner to hang on. see people doing it all the time. Well not so much here in Fl, but up in NY all day(and night) long

DeeJayH said:
POOR LIFE CHOICES
why does he have credit card debt and a car and auto ins. if he is so poor off?
my parents always had 2 jobs if not 3.
if you want it, you can do it
if he was really so busy, he certainly would not have time for friends
its called suck it up
doesnt sound like he would be any worse off, if he took another job, entry level, to learn a trade hands on. there are plenty of jobs that still do that. you don't need to go to college to get a better job, or a trade school
as a matter of fact, from another thread on this board, tell him to join the military where he can make $4000 /month
You ignorance on such issues is humorous.
Have you ever lived outside of a Metropolitan area? There is no friggin' public transportation in our town, and not everyone can afford to move into places that are right next to BOTH of thier jobs. He has credit card debt because he had to afford things at times when he didn't have money saved up, its hard to save up money when you work from paycheck to paycheck. So he has to have a vehicle, and in the state of NC, you have to have insurance to be licensed. When he worked 2 full time jobs where he never has a day off work, how does he have time to take another job? Also, some areas OUTSIDE OF THE METROPOLITAN WORLD don't have so many jobs avaliable where everyone with a HS diploma can get them. No time for friends? I was friends with this guy when we were in High School, thats how we are friends, He lives 500 miles from me so, yes, he doesn't have time for me, but that doesn't make us not friends. DURRRRRRRR. He can't join the military because he isn't healthy enough. There goes that thought! He is not "so poor off" as you stated, he is working two crappy ass low paying jobs to afford the things that he has, and he lives paycheck to paycheck, and ALOT of people out there live like this, you seem clueless to that fact. Until you understand more about how other people have to live thier lives, I advise you not to be so ****ing critical of them. Your remarks are an insult to anyone who wasn't spoon fed by thier parents, and those who are forced to live difficult lives because they didn't have the same opportunities as everyone else.

DeeJayH said:
what part of my post suggested i have a problem with people who work there you democratic fool?
I have no problem with it at all. better than if they were on welfare or slinging rock
You proved my point of your ignorance by calling me "democratic fool" showing your anger is not the way to get your point across.
DeeJayH said:
well all you really have to do, is get yourself a $5-10 lawnchair, a nice 40 ounce and find yourself a good corner to hang on. see people doing it all the time. Well not so much here in Fl, but up in NY all day(and night) long
You again, show how ignorant you are of the world outside of your own life.

Caine said:
Have you ever lived outside of a Metropolitan area?
grew up on Long Island, dirt poor after my father left
lived in Vermont, Florida, & manhattan

Caine said:
.When he worked 2 full time jobs where he never has a day off work, how does he have time to take another job?
how did my parents always manage to have 3 jobs when need be than?
could it be they took advantage of oppurtunities that came along, including starting numerous businesses (most of which failed)

Caine said:
.Also, some areas OUTSIDE OF THE METROPOLITAN WORLD don't have so many jobs avaliable where everyone with a HS diploma can get them.
move to where there are more oppurtunities

Caine said:
He can't join the military because he isn't healthy enough. There goes that thought! He is not "so poor off" as you stated, he is working two crappy ass low paying jobs to afford the things that he has, and he lives paycheck to paycheck, and ALOT of people out there live like this, you seem clueless to that fact.

sucks to be him. and if he is in poor health, there must be a government program he is eligible for, for aid
i grew up in a house, after my father left, not knowing if my mother would be able to buy food next week, EVERY WEEK
she cried every friday night at the dining room table trying to figure out how to rob peter to pay paul
in winter we didnt use our heat, we used an illegal kerosene heater, which had to be turned off when we went to bed. got a little chilly on those NY winter nights, especially since i was the first one up all through High School, so it was my responsibility to turn on the kerosene heater when i got up at 6 am

Caine said:
.Your remarks are an insult to anyone who wasn't spoon fed by thier parents, and those who are forced to live difficult lives because they didn't have the same opportunities as everyone else.
I have worked for everythign i have
i have been homeless in my adult life
but because i had family and friends i was never without a home
i started a courier company that was earning me $70k /year in less than 4 years, until a car wreck ended it
from there i went to wall st to take advantage of the raging 90's
i worked from 7am-9pm 4 days a week and a normal 9-5 on friday
for $250/week
add on 2 1/2 hours commute each day, and it was a long work week
that comes out to about $3 / hour before taking out the train pass and subway pass, which brought me down to about $1.75/hour before taxes
.i did that for over 6 months, until i made my bones and got to trade
and i did this with Migraines atleast once a week, from teh car accident
Now i am selling Real Estate in florida
I make my own jobs, and i make them successful
and if the RE market collapses i will make another job for myself, and make it successful
because i CHOOSE To
Caine said:
You proved my point of your ignorance by calling me "democratic fool" showing your anger is not the way to get your point across..
thanks for the laugh, i needed that after the past few weeks
you called me a Republican Fool, so i merely returned in kind.
might want to scroll back a few posts :2rofll:

DeeJayH said:
grew up on Long Island, dirt poor after my father left
lived in Vermont, Florida, & manhattan
Hmm.. your father left...

how did my parents always manage to have 3 jobs when need be than?
could it be they took advantage of oppurtunities that came along, including starting numerous businesses (most of which failed)
Then your parents had 3 jobs. Did your Dad come back?
Also, 3 jobs means compared to my argument if they are not full time. You can't work 3 full time jobs, 5-6 days per week. Why? Because there are only 24 hours in a day, 3 full time shifts would mean that they would be working around the clock with no sleep for days until they get one shift off, and they still wouldn't get the amount of sleep necessary. My friend has worked part time jobs here and there, but I did not count them because they are not full time.

move to where there are more oppurtunities
Do you realize how must it costs to move? Somewhere? I moved from Ft. Bragg to Charlotte, which is only 3 hours distance in driving, WITH the government moving all my possessions for me for free, and it was still extremely costly, with deposits for the home (900 dollars) plus getting electric setup (250), etc.
How does someone who lives paycheck to paycheck afford deposits in addition to moving thier belongings, if all thier money is used to pay for thier bills. You didn't think that one through very well.

sucks to be him. and if he is in poor health, there must be a government program he is eligible for, for aid
When I say poor health, I mean unable to perform the physical requirements for the Military, in addition to being overweight. But, let me guess, its his fault he has obesity in his genes right?

i grew up in a house, after my father left, not knowing if my mother would be able to buy food next week, EVERY WEEK
she cried every friday night at the dining room table trying to figure out how to rob peter to pay paul
in winter we didnt use our heat, we used an illegal kerosene heater, which had to be turned off when we went to bed. got a little chilly on those NY winter nights, especially since i was the first one up all through High School, so it was my responsibility to turn on the kerosene heater when i got up at 6 am
And yet, you wish to tell me my friend shouldn't be in the situation he is in because its all his fault. Not everything works out for people who grow up this way as you have described your life below. Sometimes people don't get the lucky breaks that you received, but also don't get some of the bad breaks you receivedl, and are content to work and pay thier bills and attempt to be happy. I dont understand how you can judge them.

I have worked for everythign i have
i have been homeless in my adult life
but because i had family and friends i was never without a home
i started a courier company that was earning me $70k /year in less than 4 years, until a car wreck ended it
from there i went to wall st to take advantage of the raging 90's
i worked from 7am-9pm 4 days a week and a normal 9-5 on friday
for $250/week
add on 2 1/2 hours commute each day, and it was a long work week
that comes out to about $3 / hour before taking out the train pass and subway pass, which brought me down to about $1.75/hour before taxes
.i did that for over 6 months, until i made my bones and got to trade
and i did this with Migraines atleast once a week, from teh car accident
Now i am selling Real Estate in florida
I make my own jobs, and i make them successful
and if the RE market collapses i will make another job for myself, and make it successful
because i CHOOSE To

Back
Top Bottom