• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Out with old, in with the...older?

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Kevin Rudd has prevailed in a dramatic Labor leadership ballot, defeating Julia Gillard and paving the way for him to return to the prime ministership.
Labor caucus returning officer Chris Hayes informed the nation that Mr Rudd won the leadership ballot 57-45.

Kevin Rudd defeats Julia Gillard 57-45 in Labor leadership ballot, paving way for a return to PM - Labor in Turmoil - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

So, Ruddy's back. Betcha Libs win the next election. Gotta admit, Abbott played smart for once (or he listened to his advisors), by saying he wouldn't lead a vote of no confidence, he opened the way for this to happen, ensuring him a decent chance to win the election.

Australian politics is crap.

You think Abbott's more likely to win against Rudd than against Gillard? I thought Rudd was generally more popular with the electorate than Gillard.

I still struggle to see how Aussies could possibly vote for a gorilla and dinosaur like Abbott, but I guess they kept Howard going for long enough.

I wanted to live in Australia at one point but then I saw your housing prices and how socially Conservative the country is.

Too late... Much too late. And for the wrong reasons, as well.
Blue Ties for everyone.

I wanted to live in Australia at one point but then I saw your housing prices and how socially Conservative the country is.

We are socially conservative?
News to me.

You think Abbott's more likely to win against Rudd than against Gillard? I thought Rudd was generally more popular with the electorate than Gillard.

I still struggle to see how Aussies could possibly vote for a gorilla and dinosaur like Abbott, but I guess they kept Howard going for long enough.

Rudd's the more popular one, but the leadership changes will isolate people who voted for Gillard. I imagine the smaller parties and independents will be getting a lot more votes come September, but it still might tip the balance to favor Abbott.

Rudd's the more popular one, but the leadership changes will isolate people who voted for Gillard. I imagine the smaller parties and independents will be getting a lot more votes come September, but it still might tip the balance to favor Abbott.

IDK. I think it will tip the vote more towards Labor. I think Mr. Abbott is pretty unpopular really. The main adversary that Rudd will have to overturn will be Labor's Legacy and the decimation of it's upper echelons members. Conroy, Combet etc. Promoting new blood will feed strongly into the incompetency the opposition promotes. As well they have plenty of attack material courtesy of the former Gillard defenders including Shorten and Crean who previously ranted strongly on Rudd's character. They can also criticize the government as a bunch of self-serving bastards, who now support Ruddy to save their own skin.

However it's most likely turned the election for an Abbot decimation to a manageable loss, even victory(the campaign trail might unseat Abbott*) one that will probably return Labor to government in 2016-2020. This is of course compared to losing both houses under Gillard.

*The spectre of Work-choices, social conservatism plus his gaff-prone nature might sink him.

We live in interesting times.

Congrats to Gillard for taking a country that basically flew past the financial crisis and putting it 250B into debt. It takes talent to do that.

Well compared to Canada they seem to be pretty socially conservative also the fact they have states not provinces.

The only way Oz is socially conservative is our politicians approach to sex and violence, we're the most heavily censored first world nation. Plus, how are states conservative?

The only way Oz is socially conservative is our politicians approach to sex and violence, we're the most heavily censored first world nation. Plus, how are states conservative?

I suspect he believes that there's something essentially different about the federal structures of Canada and Australia because of the difference in terminology. As far as I can see, the two countries are remarkably similar in terms of their constitutions and organisation.

I guess we'll have to wait for him to explain what he means. Of course, he might have just been trolling you. :)

I suspect he believes that there's something essentially different about the federal structures of Canada and Australia because of the difference in terminology. As far as I can see, the two countries are remarkably similar in terms of their constitutions and organisation.

I guess we'll have to wait for him to explain what he means. Of course, he might have just been trolling you. :)

The only difference between Canadian provinces and Australia states is that their provinces are more independent of their federal government compared to our states (due to differences in taxation).

No gay marriage (you seem to be far away form it), welfare system sucks, sex and violence, censorship, abortion, no Charter of Rights and freedoms, etc.

No gay marriage
Agreed. But only in our political system, there is wide support for it in the community, i believe. Outside of religious groups.
censorship
Only sorta. The video games is about it. The government's internet filter won't go anywhere.
welfare system sucks
Debatable. The NDIS is pretty good and both AUS and CAN Medicare's have their share of problems.
Is available here.
Charter of Rights
So? Our rights/freedoms are established by the judiciary/legislature. they still exist.

Anyway. Let's not turn this into an AU v Canada thread. Let us just be joyus that we are way better than the American.

Agreed. But only in our political system, there is wide support for it in the community, i believe. Outside of religious groups.

Only sorta. The video games is about it. The government's internet filter won't go anywhere.

Debatable. The NDIS is pretty good and both AUS and CAN Medicare's have their share of problems.

Is available here.

So? Our rights/freedoms are established by the judiciary/legislature. they still exist.

Anyway. Let's not turn this into an AU v Canada thread. Let us just be joyus that we are way better than the American.

We are both better than Americans and both of our housing prices are ridiculous which is the main reason I don't want to live in my native Canada or Australia. I'm going to South Africa.

We are both better than Americans and both of our housing prices are ridiculous which is the main reason I don't want to live in my native Canada or Australia. I'm going to South Africa.

What a great upgrade that is.

What a great upgrade that is.

Well in South Africa I can afford to live in rather large homes while still having a fairly large disposable income. I don't want to live in a ****ty home in the suburbs of Toronto.

Well in South Africa I can afford to live in rather large homes while still having a fairly large disposable income. I don't want to live in a ****ty home in the suburbs of Toronto.

In a poverty stricken and economically disparate country ripe with fervent nationalism in all camps and volatile politics where one party holds an absolute monopoly.

In a poverty stricken and economically disparate country ripe with fervent nationalism in all camps and volatile politics where one party holds an absolute monopoly.

Cape Town and the rich neighborhoods offer the same quality of life as in Canada or other developed countries while remaining far cheaper and the DA (Democratic Alliance) rule Cape Town and Western Cape and have done amazing work reducing crime by 90%, reducing unemployment by 10%, etc. they win more seats against the ANC every year and are expected to win Gauteng (Johannesburg and Pretoria) next year.

Why would I want to live in this:
W26767031.jpg

when I can live in this or this.

Last edited:
The recycled failure....Rudd. Many Australians wanted Juliar to be destroyed in the election and now we won't have the opportunity to vote against her. Rudd is an egotistical arsehole and I cannot fathom why any Australian would vote for him. His own party loathed him so much that three years ago they worked hard to be rid of him, and now those same hypocrites have reinstalled him. And Shorten.....wow, what a backstabbing, hypocritical bastard he is, turning on Juliar like he did. Still, typical Labor Party.
I want Tony Abbott to be Australia's next Prime Minister, however, I never underestimate the stupidity of large groups of people with the power to vote and it would not surprise me if there are enough stupid large groups to put Rudd and Labor back in power again.
There is a good pic doing the email rounds. Someone has placed Rudd's head over Juliar's head in that atrocious Women's Weekly knitting pic. I don't know how to add pics here or I would post it.

Back
Top Bottom