• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Out-of-work job applicants told unemployed need not apply

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Out-of-work job applicants told unemployed need not apply - Yahoo! Finance

Employment experts say they believe companies are increasingly interested only in applicants who already have a job.

"I think it is more prevalent than it used to be," said Rich Thompson, vice president of learning and performance for Adecco Group North America, the world's largest staffing firm. "I don't have hard numbers, but three out of the last four conversations I've had about openings, this requirement was brought up."

Some job postings include restrictions such as "unemployed candidates will not be considered" or "must be currently employed." Those explicit limitations have occasionally been removed from listings when an employer or recruiter is questioned by the media though.

That's what happened with numerous listings for grocery store managers throughout the Southeast posted by a South Carolina recruiter, Latro Consulting.

After CNNMoney called seeking comments on the listings last week, the restriction against unemployed candidates being considered came down. Latro Consulting refused to comment when contacted.

That's just bunk. I can feel for people like that because it's not like I had a job waiting on my doorstep the second I drove home from my graduation ceremony at U of M. Well, not any job I would want anyway.

I look forward to days when employment becomes a buyer's market again, instead of a seller's market. It's good to sometimes see the applicant hold a relatively upper hand, or at least an even hand.

It sucks because we all need a place to start somewhere. The job offers that I have been getting are almost all related to scam companies. I don't want to be scammed and I don't like the prevailing attitude of management that if a person is out of work then it means that there is something wrong with them that won't make them an asset a company. The small-mindedness of companies is what ruined the economy. That is not to say all managers are bad but they have proven themselves to being far too greedy and not viewing the big picture as what you'd expect from management.

Yeah, I will say that I have noticed a reversion back to a more "theory X" form of management lately, which is abhorrent. I've said before that I think anyone who holds a significant management position should have at least a minor in psychology, BA preferred. We as a workforce are coming up with ever more ingenious ways to piss off the man when we're treated like crap. If you don't command the morale of people underneath you, God help you. Crap can run upstream just as easily as downstream.

That must be very discouraging to the unemployed.

while the application of this criterion may appear distasteful, there is an element of logic to it

in this period of downsizing, it is not unreasonable to assume that firms shedding employees are not cutting their best employees before letting the weaker employees go
making an inappropriate hire can be emotionally and financially draining for a company
by assuming that those who are presently employed possess the requisite complement of life & work skills, the probability that they will hire a problem employee is minimized

Back
Top Bottom