• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Our Neighbor Was Ordered To Take Down Her LET'S GO BRANDON Sign

HOAs are unique with regards to free speech.

Common Areas (in this case the neighbor's front yard is considered part of the "common area") are subject to rules and regulations in accordance with the Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs).

Compliance is not optional. This is prerequisite to purchasing a property within an HOA.

The ACLU has no authority in an HOA.
Very wrong. That is protected political speech.
The Wilkoffs spoke with the ACLU, and Mark Silverstein responded, “Our Constitution guarantees everyone the right to speak and to publish freely. So, let’s protect that right, even in metro districts and homeowners’ associations.”

Our neighbor is an elderly widow. She is very nice, and lets us take as many fresh limes and pomegranates from her trees as we want, as she doesn't really like either fruit.

She likes Trump.

Monday (3 days ago) she put a Let's Go Brandon sign in her front yard. In most neighborhoods putting political campaign signs in the yard is not a problem, but we are in an HOA. There are strict rules and regulations regarding political signs and holiday decorations within the HOA grounds.

Basically, the (CC&Rs) rule of thumb is it's OK to have political signs or holiday decorations INSIDE the home, and visible from the street, but NOT OK to place them OUTSIDE the home, and visible from the street.

Naturally, the HOA ordered her to remove the sign. She has 7 days to comply. If the sign is still up by next Monday, the HOA will issue a formal citation, and the homeowner will be fined. The actual homeowner is her daughter and Son-in-Law who live elsewhere.

I doubt that the daughter and son in law know that mom has been warned about the HOA infraction, and that they could be fined.

I feel compelled to notify the daughter (years ago she gave me her ph# in case of emergencies), but my wife says to keep my nose out of other people's business.

What should I do?
Its not a pro malignant narcissist scumbag piece of shit grifter liar and seditionist sign. Its an anti-Biden sign. Tell her she's a crackpot and should take down the sign or get fined by the HOA.

Very wrong. That is protected political speech.

The article that you linked does not state if the ACLU was successful in overturning the HOA's restrictions on flags. We can therefore presume that they were NOT successful.

My statement is true - the ACLU has no authority in an HOA.

In an HOA, the CC&Rs are like the Bible.

In our HOA, the woman MAY post the Let's Go Brandon sign INSIDE her home in a window, or whatever.

She may NOT place the sign in the common areas (which her front yard is part of).

The owner is responsible for what happens on his/her property regardless of whether he/she is aware of it.
Legally, yes. However, the association bylaws may stipulate that fines may not be levied until the homeowner is notified of a violation. If the bylaws do not provide for notification of current tenants as fulfilling that obligation, then the requirement remains that it is the homeowners that must be notified.

It does seem hard to believe that the bylaws wouldn't permit notification of a tenant to meet the requirement, but strange things do happen.

Legally, yes. However, the association bylaws may stipulate that fines may not be levied until the homeowner is notified of a violation. If the bylaws do not provide for notification of current tenants as fulfilling that obligation, then the requirement remains that it is the homeowners that must be notified.

It does seem hard to believe that the bylaws wouldn't permit notification of a tenant to meet the requirement, but strange things do happen.
It is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the HOA/property manager has current contact info. The tenant and owner would both be contacted.

It is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the HOA/property manager has current contact info. The tenant and owner would both be contacted.
It depends on the language.

Our neighbor is an elderly widow. She is very nice, and lets us take as many fresh limes and pomegranates from her trees as we want, as she doesn't really like either fruit.

She likes Trump.

Monday (3 days ago) she put a Let's Go Brandon sign in her front yard. In most neighborhoods putting political campaign signs in the yard is not a problem, but we are in an HOA. There are strict rules and regulations regarding political signs and holiday decorations within the HOA grounds.

Basically, the (CC&Rs) rule of thumb is it's OK to have political signs or holiday decorations INSIDE the home, and visible from the street, but NOT OK to place them OUTSIDE the home, and visible from the street.

Naturally, the HOA ordered her to remove the sign. She has 7 days to comply. If the sign is still up by next Monday, the HOA will issue a formal citation, and the homeowner will be fined. The actual homeowner is her daughter and Son-in-Law who live elsewhere.

I doubt that the daughter and son in law know that mom has been warned about the HOA infraction, and that they could be fined.

I feel compelled to notify the daughter (years ago she gave me her ph# in case of emergencies), but my wife says to keep my nose out of other people's business.

What should I do?
I would say that your wife is correct. They are the ones that have let the mother to live in their house. They know her. It is their own responsibility not yours. For al you know, they might be the ones that told the mother to put up the sign. Your involvement might only lead to problems for you.

No one likes a "busybody"...;)

Last edited:

She likes Trump.

What should I do?
This kind of stuff is why I refuse to live in an area with a HOA

Actually it's kind of careless of the lady to put herself out there like she did with that flag.

The left and right have plenty of nut jobs living among us who would gladly put a rock through someone's window or do something worse......... just because.

This kind of stuff is why I refuse to live in an area with a HOA

Not all HOA's are alike.

I live in a HOA neighborhood and they do their very best reacting to the concerns property owners within the sub division. The monthly meetings get a little heated some times but things work out in the end. I've had a couple serious disagreements with a the board members a few years ago about their decision to allow short term rentals and section 8 housing. It only took a couple years for them to realize themselves how fast Section 8 renters could run down a neighborhood.

No more short term rentals and no more Section.8

She likes Trump.

What should I do?
Maybe she's just waiting for Sunday night to take it down.

You have the number to the owners which was given to you in case of an emergency.
This is not an emergency, it is a situation that will resolve itself without any effort on your part, and no one is in any danger.
I side with your wife. Stay out of it.

You have the number to the owners which was given to you in case of an emergency.
This is not an emergency, it is a situation that will resolve itself without any effort on your part, and no one is in any danger.
I side with your wife. Stay out of it.
As it turned out, this is good advice. I did not contact the daughter.

The LGB sign has been removed from the front lawn, and placed in a window inside the house.

The signage now complies with CC&R (HOA) rules, and no fines were imposed. *phew*

Back
Top Bottom