• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Our Friend DeSantis is Worried Our Kids Aren't Christian Enough

Loulit01

Leftist Filth
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

In trainings, Florida tells teachers that religion belongs in public life​

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — New civics training for Florida public school teachers comes with a dose of Christian dogma, some teachers say, and they worry that it also sanitizes history and promotes inaccuracies.

Included in the training is the statement that it is a “misconception” that “the Founders desired strict separation of church and state.”
Other materials included fragments of statements that were “cherry-picked” to present a more conservative view of American history, some attendees said. In a possible effort to inoculate some Founding Fathers against contemporary political complaints, some slides in a presentation pointed out that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson repudiated slavery; unsaid is that both men held enslaved people and helped worked toward a Constitution that enshrined the practice.

“My takeaway from the training is that civics education in the state of Florida right now is geared toward pushing some particular points of view,” said Broward County teacher Richard Judd, who attended the three-day training. “The thesis they ran with is that there is no real separation of church and state.”
The First Amendment prevents the government from “respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” which scholars widely interpret to require a separation of church and state.

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has made civics teaching a cornerstone of his education policy, and he says he’s fighting back against “woke indoctrination” of students by teachers from kindergarten to colleges.

“We’re unabashedly promoting civics and history that is accurate and that is not trying to push an ideological agenda,” DeSantis said at an event this week.

In Florida, he said, students are “learning the real history, you’re learning the real facts.” DeSantis has signed into law new civics curriculum standards, introduced last year for middle-schoolers, which met with little opposition from teachers, who say they are comprehensive and apolitical.
But the “civics bootcamps” DeSantis launched this summer to instruct teachers on how to implement the curriculum have alarmed many in public schools. Judd said the trainers told teachers, “This is the way you should think.”

“One of the insulting assumptions was that we’re all these woke indoctrinators, and so they were presenting a remedy for that,” Judd said.
The training sessions began last month and will continue through July for teachers who volunteer to take them. While not mandated by the state, they come with a $700 stipend for three-day sessions, with a chance to earn a $3,000 bonus and a “Civics Seal of Endorsement.”
Anna Fusco, president of the Broward Teachers Union, said she’s glad the state isn’t mandating the training, but that many teachers are signing up to get the stipends. She said union members who attended the training sessions said they were being told to present to students “only one side of history.”

“It was basically, it’s this way or no way, like there’s only one side to American history,” Fusco said. “Then they kind of slipped in a Christian values piece, ignoring the fact that this country is made up of so many different cultures and religions.”

Central Florida Civics teacher Abe Lopez supports DeSantis’s emphasis on civics and the way the governor believes the subject should be taught. DeSantis invited Lopez to speak at his June 30 event announcing improved civics assessment scores among middle-schoolers. Lopez, who was a member of former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s staff, said he was surprised during his first year of teaching last year that his seventh graders knew so little about civics.

“I used this opportunity as a blank slate to help my students understand that their rights are intrinsic and do not come from a man, they do not come from a government. Our rights come from a creator,” Lopez said in his speech. “And once you acknowledge that your rights come from a creator, they can’t be taken away by a man or a government.”

In an interview, Lopez, who was a national committeeman for the Republican National Hispanic Assembly and who in 2020 posted information on Twitter for “Stop the Biden Steal” rallies in Florida, said he keeps politics out of his classroom.
“We need excellence in civics education, and I think Governor DeSantis’s program is a model for the nation,” Lopez said.

The man's a ****ing nightmare.

Thankfully after thirty seven years of service in flori-duh's school system my almost sister in law finally retired, I'll bet she's glad she will not have to deal with this stuff any longer. DeSantis is one power hungry person, me no likee.

Every faith organization in the country needs to band together and work in unity to push back against this Christian indoctrination because it results in Christianity being hard baked into the country as some kind of preferred or "national" religion thus branding all others, or no those who have no religion, as second class citizens. They need to launch a series of lawsuits.
Do that and it is the end of what this country was founded on.

The United States of America is not theocratic no matter how badly the political Right insists it needs to be.

“The thesis they ran with is that there is no real separation of church and state.”
The First Amendment prevents the government from “respecting an establishment of religion,\
Establishment clause ( and the free expression of religion) simply say no religion can be favored over another
(no state religion) nor either promote nor inhibit religion.

in this case :
Included in the training is the statement that it is a “misconception” that “the Founders desired strict separation of church and state.”
-
it IS a misconception that there is a "wall of separation" -that government has to preclude religious freedom as we just saw with the Kennedy v Bremerton School District

It's complicated but i think the school can neither prohibit nor endorse prayer, and the prayer cannot be coercive to others

In trainings, Florida tells teachers that religion belongs in public life​

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — New civics training for Florida public school teachers comes with a dose of Christian dogma, some teachers say, and they worry that it also sanitizes history and promotes inaccuracies.

Other materials included fragments of statements that were “cherry-picked” to present a more conservative view of American history, some attendees said. In a possible effort to inoculate some Founding Fathers against contemporary political complaints, some slides in a presentation pointed out that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson repudiated slavery; unsaid is that both men held enslaved people and helped worked toward a Constitution that enshrined the practice.
The republicans are institutionalizing their brainwashing efforts.

It's the logical next step.

Establishment clause ( and the free expression of religion) simply say no religion can be favored over another

in this case :
-
it IS a misconception that there is a "wall of separation" -that government has to preclude religious freedom as we just saw with the Kennedy v Bremerton School District

It's complicated but i think the school can neither prohibit nor endorse prayer, and the prayer cannot be coercive to others
Do you not understand the circumstances the founding fathers were fleeing when they declared independence from England?

Every faith organization in the country needs to band together and work in unity to push back against this Christian indoctrination because it results in Christianity being hard baked into the country as some kind of preferred or "national" religion thus branding all others, or no those who have no religion, as second class citizens. They need to launch a series of lawsuits.
Do that and it is the end of what this country was founded on.

The United States of America is not theocratic no matter how badly the political Right insists it needs to be.
Preferred like the plague.

Do you not understand the circumstances the founding fathers were fleeing when they declared independence from England?
do you mean the Pilgrims in terms of religious freedom?
Or do you mean establishment of a state religion?
something else?

"Christian values". . .

I'll believe they exist when I see people acting like they do across the board, not just in whatever ways they do not find so odious but which will make them look righteous to others. It's personal values, and some like DeSantis have none that are not ugly.

Thankfully after thirty seven years of service in flori-duh's school system my almost sister in law finally retired, I'll bet she's glad she will not have to deal with this stuff any longer. DeSantis is one power hungry person, me no likee.
Sadly it appears he may be our next POTUS :mad:

Just because one is Christian doesn't make them a good person. I know atheists who have better ethics and morals

I am Catholic; not practicing because organized religion is just not my thing and there is not a Christian I know who is any better than me

My children are Catholic as well and it their choice as to whether or not they want to practice it

While watching the news and DeSantis appears, my dear wife breaks the light-speed barrier regarding muting the sound.
I'm pretty impressed. Hell, I thought the speed of light was constant..in a vacuum.. :)
Someone from Australia so involved with American politics she feels the need to mute someone (DeSantis) who is not even a national politician over here.
Somehow, that seems weird to me.
I wonder what she does when Trump appears on TV. Throws shoes at the TV?

DeSantis is one power hungry person, me no likee.
What a surprise. A popular politician who is power hungry.
I hope DeSantis and his family stays safe from crazy Leftists who think he is like Trump. It's a long long way to 2024.

Mind you, that righty governor could become our next president. :oops:
Only if we are lucky and avoid another Biden victory and a Kamala disaster.
What we need is a strong GOP president with great popularity who does not behave like Trump.

Only if we are lucky and avoid another Biden victory and a Kamala disaster.
What we need is a strong GOP president with great popularity who does not behave like Trump.

^ What happens when a righty tips their hand and admits they want a fascist president.

Someone from Australia so involved with American politics she feels the need to mute someone (DeSantis) who is not even a national politician over here.
Somehow, that seems weird to me.
I wonder what she does when Trump appears on TV. Throws shoes at the TV?
Ah..my friend. My wife and I are dual citizens. We get to gripe and moan on both sides of the world.

With respect:

I love Republican word scrambles!

"We’re unabashedly promoting civics and history that is accurate and that is not trying to push an ideological agenda."

=>

"We’re unabashedly trying to push an ideological agenda, and that is promoting civics and history that is not accurate."

With respect:

I love Republican word scrambles!

"We’re unabashedly promoting civics and history that is accurate and that is not trying to push an ideological agenda."

=>

"We’re unabashedly trying to push an ideological agenda, and that is promoting civics and history that is not accurate."
I'd love to see some of those children in 10 years...on Jeopardy! . "The three branches of Government are pine, maple and...ah..oak! :)

While watching the news and DeSantis appears, my dear wife breaks the light-speed barrier regarding muting the sound.
I'm pretty impressed. Hell, I thought the speed of light was constant..in a vacuum.. :)

Love it, that's how you know you married the right lady.
MY wife, roused from a deep sleep at the first sound of Sarah Palin on CNN: "I kin see Russia from my hous!" --- she threw a slipper at the TV set. 😆😆😆

I made her breakfast in bed that morning.

Love it, that's how you know you married the right lady.
MY wife, roused from a deep sleep at the first sound of Sarah Palin on CNN: "I kin see Russia from my hous!" --- she threw a slipper at the TV set. 😆😆😆

I made her breakfast in bed that morning.
I can certainly understand the reaction to Palin.
But my hope is that people will come to respect DeSantis' political acumen as well as his Conservative ideals.
Let me know if he does something to offend the snowflake Progressives who dislike everything about a GOP hopeful.

in this case :
-

For now.

I can certainly understand the reaction to Palin.
But my hope is that people will come to respect DeSantis' political acumen as well as his Conservative ideals.
Let me know if he does something to offend the snowflake Progressives who dislike everything about a GOP hopeful.

He's basically a fascist.

Back
Top Bottom