• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Our educational system and women's belief in astrology

Moderate71

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Recent studies have shown that women are far more likely than men to believe in astrology these days. What has recently changed in our educational system to cause this to start happening? How can we fix this?

Additionally, although I have been unable to locate studies that have been done on the issue and can not verify what I have been told, an acquaintance claims that women are far more likely than men to call psychic hotlines these days. I'm still trying to verify if this is last one is true or not though.

Recent studies have shown that women are far more likely than men to believe in astrology these days. What has recently changed in our educational system to cause this to start happening? How can we fix this?

Additionally, although I have been unable to locate studies that have been done on the issue and can not verify what I have been told, an acquaintance claims that women are far more likely than men to call psychic hotlines these days. I'm still trying to verify if this is last one is true or not though.

As a woman I don't believe in astrology nor have I ever called a psychic hotline. And I know a LOT of women and don't know a single person, male or female, who believes in astrology. At least that they admit. Even one who is a flat Earther doesn't believe in astrology. So I am a bit skeptical of any study coming to such a conclusion.

I do think there are so many people going for advanced degrees these days, and they have to have something completely unique to write their dissertations on, that we are seeing a LOT of studies that are highly questionable these days. I have worked as research assistant and have a family member who pretty well funded her advanced degrees working as a research assistant, and we both have witnessed more than one instance of really bogus research being done.

I am not saying the studies on astrology consultation are bogus for I have absolutely no basis to judge that. But I don't think a bit of a raised eyebrow is out of line here either.

Of course women are more likely to seek a psychic. How is anyone not aware of gender based socialization in society?

I do think there are so many people going for advanced degrees these days, and they have to have something completely unique to write their dissertations on, that we are seeing a LOT of studies that are highly questionable these days.

Not "completely unique" as in based on nothing. What silly anti intellectual fantasy.

Not "completely unique" as in based on nothing. What silly anti intellectual fantasy.

Sorry you feel that it is an anti-intellectual fantasy, which it isn't, or that you assume that I was saying something that I didn't.

Sorry you feel that it is an anti-intellectual fantasy, which it isn't, or that you assume that I was saying something that I didn't.

You obviously have a laughably flawed view of how dissertations are conducted. You use that fantasy to validate typical anti intellectual crap, that we've "already learned all the important stuff and we've moved on to nonsense".

If your country hillfolk drivel was any more typical, I could quote it from a textbook. And you act like it's special insight. What a joke.

"We done learned it all! Don't bother with that there edumacational crap!"

You obviously have a laughably flawed view of how dissertations are conducted. You use that fantasy to validate typical anti intellectual crap, that we've "already learned all the important stuff and we've moved on to nonsense".

If your country hillfolk drivel was any more typical, I could quote it from a textbook. And you act like it's special insight. What a joke.

"We done learned it all! Don't bother with that there edumacational crap!"

As I have PhDs and other advanced degrees in my family and among close friends, and have worked as research assistant to four different people working on their dissertations, I have a pretty good grasp on how they are done. I am pretty sure I have a much better grasp than you do at this point. Do have a pleasant afternoon.

As I have PhDs and other advanced degrees in my family and among close friends, and have worked as research assistant to four different people working on their dissertations, I have a pretty good grasp on how they are done. I am pretty sure I have a much better grasp than you do at this point. Do have a pleasant afternoon.

I'm a phd candidate. You spew stupid anti intellectual horse sht. Textbook hillbilly education hating.

"We done learned everything! Smack ran out of good ideas!"

How stupid.

I am a woman and yes I am into astrology (I felt a bit embarrassed to say this). And on this astrology forum I go to, there does seem to be a lot more females than on a typical internet forum. I think it's because astrology is a "chick pursuit/interest". A lot of women are into soft, fluffy stuff, especially if it involves relationships, which astrology does a lot of the time (it's called synastry).

If you ask me, I don't really believe in astrology all that much, as in, I don't believe that stars have a whole lot of influence on how we behave. However, astrology really is a lot of fun to read and talk about (to me anyway). I find talking astrology online to be a very nice way to decompress.

I am a woman and yes I am into astrology (I felt a bit embarrassed to say this). And on this astrology forum I go to, there does seem to be a lot more females than on a typical internet forum. I think it's because astrology is a "chick pursuit/interest". A lot of women are into soft, fluffy stuff, especially if it involves relationships, which astrology does a lot of the time (it's called synastry).

If you ask me, I don't really believe in astrology all that much, as in, I don't believe that stars have a whole lot of influence on how we behave. However, astrology really is a lot of fun to read and talk about (to me anyway). I find talking astrology online to be a very nice way to decompress.

Bingo. End of thread. I like reading my horoscope too. Sometimes its even accurate.

I'm not trying to criticize astrology, I'm only curious about the gender ratio gap and what might be causing it. It appears women are also more likely to have religious faith and believe in an afterlife. Those that do have faith are more regular churchgoers, whereas men pray less frequently and in more solitude. I am also reading that women tend to be more concerned with spiritual well being and emotional bonding with others. I'm more interested in trying to determine the cause of something like this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rlife-Two-thirds-faith-compared-half-men.html

On the other hand, men are more likely to have ritual based OCD (as opposed to cleanliness based OCD). The ritual based OCD is founded on a superstition that they have to perform ritualistic behaviors that prevent bad things from happening. I myself spin in circles to the right, touch things three times, and put things into certain patterns. However, I don't actually believe it changes world events, so its normal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom