• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"OUR country"

Do you believe that your group is entitled to rule?

• Yes. I'm conservative.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. I'm liberal.

• Yes. I'm progressive.

• Yes. I'm religious.

• Yes. My family ...

• Total voters

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
With respect:

I'm wondering how many people believe that their group is entitled to the country, as in "America is OUR country."

Are you a special group? Is your family special?

I'm talking about you believing that you're superior to other Americans. Do you believe that your group is entitled to rule?

Note: You can select more than one.

America is my country, the same way its yours.

But you and I are entitled to nothing, save what is promised us via our constitution, and our rule of law.

Do you believe that your group is entitled to rule?
This is the US. No "group is entitled to rule". Groups are meant to "represent".

What you express is what is wrong with the country.

Group? Goodness no. I plan on presiding over a benevolent dictatorship.

I don't think my group is entitled to rule. I think my group is the fairest one to rule. We want child care, time off for new parents, universal health care
decent wages, mental health services, Complete separation of church and state, better education and more.

I have no answer to the question, but after weeks of watching constant Oklahoma political ads telling me what "Our Country" and "Our values" are I am damn sure ready for them to go away.

I voted Yes. I believe that my group, namely the male Asian numismatists of California who endorse pineapple on pizza, are best suited to rule this proud nation. Who’s with me!?
Honestly?

You had me, till pineapple on pizza.

Burn in hell.

With respect:

I'm wondering how many people believe that their group is entitled to the country, as in "America is OUR country."

I'm talking about you believing that you're superior to other Americans. Do you believe that your group is entitled to rule?
Trick question?

I certainly know a plethora of Democrats who both believe they're superior to other Americans and most definitely believe they're entitled to rule.
They've been making both points absolutely crystal clear and LOUD for decades now, but especially of late.
And funny enough, they've even been doing it here.

Side note: would you please stop with the puerile "With respect" crap? It's not fooling anyone.

I voted Yes. I believe that my group, namely the male Asian numismatists of California who endorse pineapple on pizza, are best suited to rule this proud nation. Who’s with me!?
Will it get us a free slice?

I don't think my group is entitled to rule. I think my group is the fairest one to rule. We want child care, time off for new parents, universal health care
decent wages, mental health services, Complete separation of church and state, better education and more.

Skip the pineapple & add anchovies or no deal

With respect:

Nope. IMO, no one group is entitled to squat. The very notion defeats the whole idea of America as a place "with liberty and justice for all." When I picture "our" country, I see all different shades of color and beliefs and the different ways cultures live to attain the ultimate goal --ie--"the good life." in my mind (ideally) America should be the furthest thing from a cookie cutter type society. America is really one of the most diverse nations on earth, practically speaking. I think that's where our strength lies.

"Aristotle said that some people were only fit to be slaves. I do not contradict him. But I reject slavery because I see no men fit to be masters."

Name that author.

I don't think this is really a rational issue. I think a lot of people, white Americans, think in term of America as a country founded by White Americans, and made of mostly White Americans, and that that's what America mostly is, with democracy, and 'great' things whether it was conquering the west, becoming the world's top economy and military power and so on.

I think most feel 'slavery was wrong', but that 'times change' and seemed right to a lot of people then, but we've improved. I think they don't think of themselves as 'White Supremacists' or hostile to other races, that they're for equality, but that it's in a sense of 'black people are 10% of the country', and we have some immigrants from all over the world, and that's fine, and that they can be equal and they can vote and so on, but they think of it in a way that those non-white people don't change the results in elections. So it's sort of 'you black Americans are totally equally, but your 10% of the won't decide the election, and that's fine'.

But if you start to get to an idea where White Americans can become a minority, can be ruled by government non-white people select that they oppose, that's when you get into the "our country" stuff, when they've 'lost the country', when they talk about wanting the country back.

As I said I don't think this is a rational thing many think about. I think it's more just how they feel, and then if they see a black person screaming about 'whites are racist', they feel attacked and offended and that they don't like that group who is saying that.

Funny thing - the actually powers that be don't give a crap about any of this. They'll support whites, or non-whites, or mixes or anything else that results in money and power for them. And if nothing else, whites and non-whites should unite against the plutocrats, not have racial conflicts.

Skip the pineapple & add anchovies or no deal
This is bullshit. The only thing better than pineapple or anchovies on a pizza is pineapple and anchovies on a pizza.

Personally, I don't think anyone should rule a free country; a free people should be ungovernable, with the administration of the (bare minimum) criminal law and (unconditional) social services being a miserable and thankless task whose financial rewards come only from the public sector.

With respect:

Identity politics 101. Thx

I would choose 'Yes, other.' I self-identify as a secular humanist. My 'group' is h. sapiens. All h. sapiens. I feel we are entitled to be the dominant force in not only the country in which I live, the United States of America, but all countries.

Next question?

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

Back
Top Bottom