• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Our Corrupt Legal System

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
The United States legal system needs some major reform. First off, let's discuss the alarming ease at which someone can be sued. If someone punches my arm and I get a bruise, I can sue them for the damages if I wanted to. And that is ridiculous. There was a man who actually sued God just to prove this point. People should not live in fear of being sued for the slightest thing that is not their fault. For instance, at my high school, you cannot leave campus for lunch because it is a liability for the school. Well how in the hell is it the school's fault if a student leaves campus? They can't keep track of 1600 kids and whether they leave school or not when they're not supposed to. People should only be able to sue when something was intentionally or carelessly done to ruin their lives.

Now let's discuss prisons. Our prisons are ridiculously inhumane. The guards don't give a **** if people get raped or beaten because if they did care, it wouldnt be happening so frequently. In prison, peoples' lives are endangered for messing with the wrong prisoner and there's nothing they can do about it. The prison system is also corrupt because of the fact that it outsources the prison labor to private companies. Prisons should be GOVERNMENT-RUN and have nice facilities free of danger. In fact, prisons should be a holding place, not a hellish world of punishment. Perhaps a large segregated area in uninhabited parts of the US where they are at least allowed to live semi-bearable lives.

Also, capital punishment must be abolished if we are going to actually be humane people. What is this, 1600s Europe?? Are we REALLY still murdering people for comitting crimes? I mean I hate rapists and pedophiles as much as the next person, but we have no right to kill them.

And one last point I have to make is that it is ridiculous how people can be jailed based on technicalities such as statutory rape and such. If an 18 year old and a 15 year old have consensual sex, and the 15 year old testifies that it was consensual, the 18 year old should not go to jail or be on the sex offenders list. It's ridiculous. Now it would be different if it was with say, a 12 year old because even if that was consensual, they havent even hit puberty most likely, and their brain is still in the concrete operations stage (psychology term) which therefore makes it immoral.

BAM

The United States legal system needs some major reform. First off, let's discuss the alarming ease at which someone can be sued. If someone punches my arm and I get a bruise, I can sue them for the damages if I wanted to. And that is ridiculous. There was a man who actually sued God just to prove this point. People should not live in fear of being sued for the slightest thing that is not their fault. For instance, at my high school, you cannot leave campus for lunch because it is a liability for the school. Well how in the hell is it the school's fault if a student leaves campus? They can't keep track of 1600 kids and whether they leave school or not when they're not supposed to. People should only be able to sue when something was intentionally or carelessly done to ruin their lives.

Now let's discuss prisons. Our prisons are ridiculously inhumane. The guards don't give a **** if people get raped or beaten because if they did care, it wouldnt be happening so frequently. In prison, peoples' lives are endangered for messing with the wrong prisoner and there's nothing they can do about it. The prison system is also corrupt because of the fact that it outsources the prison labor to private companies. Prisons should be GOVERNMENT-RUN and have nice facilities free of danger. In fact, prisons should be a holding place, not a hellish world of punishment. Perhaps a large segregated area in uninhabited parts of the US where they are at least allowed to live semi-bearable lives.

Also, capital punishment must be abolished if we are going to actually be humane people. What is this, 1600s Europe?? Are we REALLY still murdering people for comitting crimes? I mean I hate rapists and pedophiles as much as the next person, but we have no right to kill them.

And one last point I have to make is that it is ridiculous how people can be jailed based on technicalities such as statutory rape and such. If an 18 year old and a 15 year old have consensual sex, and the 15 year old testifies that it was consensual, the 18 year old should not go to jail or be on the sex offenders list. It's ridiculous. Now it would be different if it was with say, a 12 year old because even if that was consensual, they havent even hit puberty most likely, and their brain is still in the concrete operations stage (psychology term) which therefore makes it immoral.

BAM

No.

BAM
BAM
BAM
BAM

Four threads here. I'm dizzy.

BAM
Yeah, you "hate" them so much you want to set them up in condos. :roll:

Yeah, you "hate" them so much you want to set them up in condos. :roll:

Hahaha I see your point. I do hate them but we aren't a bunch of wild animals, we can't just kill them. We can't let emotion overtake our humanity.

Hahaha I see your point. I do hate them but we aren't a bunch of wild animals, we can't just kill them. We can't let emotion overtake our humanity.
Well we don't kill rapists and pedophiles, we just kill killers.

But isn't that hypocritical? We punish a murderer by comitting murder ourselves?
It's not hypocritical at all and it's not murder. It actually shows we value life by exacting the highest price possible for taking it.

It's not hypocritical at all and it's not murder. It actually shows we value life by exacting the highest price possible for taking it.

No it actually shows that we are indeed hypocrites by doing something that we are trying to discourage. We have no right to take someone's life and the government is evil for allowing it.

No it actually shows that we are indeed hypocrites by doing something that we are trying to discourage. We have no right to take someone's life and the government is evil for allowing it.
Is it evil to destroy evil? I don't think so.

BAM

I would like to know what you base the statement that the guards dont care about beatings and rape etc.
Are you aware that most prisons per shift the ratio is 10 convicts to 1 officer and not all officers are on the floor. There are administrative duties, door duties etc. Do you realize that a typical wing could have 200 or more convicts and one officer. Are you aware that they are not locked in all day long. They are out for work all day inside the prision, they are out to eat and they are out for recreation. Its utterly impossible to stop violence in prison. Its the prisoners that are violent not the officers. There are relatively few incidents compared to the numbers incarcerated and the number of keepers. I do agree that privatized prisons are wrong they are run for profit and that should not be.

I basically agree that something needs to be done about frivilous lawsuits. However just to let you know...that person that tried to sue God? Got his case thrown out. So not really a good example.

Actually private companies are more economical than government ones. So from a money standpoint...I have no problem with private companies controlling prisons.

As far as other peoples lives being put in danger...what did you expect from murderers, rapists, thugs etc etc? Tea and cake? The only way that you could get what you want is if you kept them all in their own little seperate cells 24/7.

And no, prisons SHOULD be a hellish place to live. If they're not then why care about commiting a crime? Besides...there is no place on this planet that is totally free from danger. You ask for the impossible.

Actually...yes we do have the right to kill murderers. They are no better than animals and should be treated as such. When a dog contracts rabies and goes nutzoid what do you do? You put em down. Otherwise more people get hurt...including those prison guards that are innocent.

Actually 12 year olds are hitting puberty quite often. So I wouldn't be using that. Hell, my niece was 10 years old when she had her first period.

As far as brain development goes the human brain doesn't achieve maturity (adulthood if you will) until early 20's. So if you are going to go by still developing brain wouldn't having consensual sex at 18 years old also be immoral? Going by your logic of course.

You say that as if what you said should have ended all arguements....obviously it didn't. It didn't even come slightly close.

Last edited:
The United States legal system needs some major reform. First off, let's discuss the alarming ease at which someone can be sued.

The legal system is a method of allowing individuals to address harms done to them by other citizens/entities. It would be against the desired nature of government to intervene and prevent people from using the legal system to seek remedy for ills.

If someone punches my arm and I get a bruise, I can sue them for the damages if I wanted to.

True. Though the damages you received in most jurisdictions would be limited and wouldn't be worth the time and effort of going through the legal process.

And that is ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is having a legal system that ignores the rights of individuals to seek remedy.

There was a man who actually sued God just to prove this point.

And his case was very likely dismissed with prejudice.

People should not live in fear of being sued for the slightest thing that is not their fault.

Fault, legally, is something to be determined by a jury. Not you or I.

For instance, at my high school, you cannot leave campus for lunch because it is a liability for the school.

The school is responsible for students safety on campus. Leaving campus and then returning to campus allows for students easier access to bring contraband onto school grounds. And, the ability not to leave for lunch isn't just about their liability, it's about your education; ensuring you are on time for your next class.

Well how in the hell is it the school's fault if a student leaves campus?

Again, it's not the schools responsibility what happens OFF campus. It's not that type of liability.

They can't keep track of 1600 kids and whether they leave school or not when they're not supposed to.

Partially true.

People should only be able to sue when something was intentionally or carelessly done to ruin their lives.

But the suit is designed to PROVE intentional, careless, or reckless behavior. It is for the jury to decide if such conditions existed.

Now let's discuss prisons. Our prisons are ridiculously inhumane.

Some would argue the opposite. Television, three square meals...

The guards don't give a **** if people get raped or beaten because if they did care, it wouldnt be happening so frequently.

False. It's happening frequently because of overcrowding and under-staffing. NOT because the guards don't care. Are there some crappy guards? Sure. Is that the primary reason for these things occurring? Absolutely not.

In prison, peoples' lives are endangered for messing with the wrong prisoner and there's nothing they can do about it.

Again, it goes back to overcrowding and under-staffing.

The prison system is also corrupt because of the fact that it outsources the prison labor to private companies.

That doesn't automatically equate corruption.

Prisons should be GOVERNMENT-RUN and have nice facilities free of danger.

Perhaps they should be government run. Perhaps the should be free of "danger". They should not be "nice".

In fact, prisons should be a holding place, not a hellish world of punishment.

Punishment is one of the primary reasons for prison.

Perhaps a large segregated area in uninhabited parts of the US where they are at least allowed to live semi-bearable lives.

If they are criminals (murders and rapists and such) on the outside, what makes you think they wouldn't be in your scenario? Your suggestion would only allow for the formation of gangs and increased criminal activity.

Also, capital punishment must be abolished if we are going to actually be humane people.

I tend to agree, but not for "humanitarian" purposes. Capital punishment is a legitimate form of punishment when all doubt is removed. Unfortunately, our system does not have that requirement. Until that requirement is imposed, I would agree that capital punishment should not be used.

What is this, 1600s Europe?? Are we REALLY still murdering people for comitting crimes? I mean I hate rapists and pedophiles as much as the next person, but we have no right to kill them.

Actually, we have every right to eliminate threats to society.

And one last point I have to make is that it is ridiculous how people can be jailed based on technicalities such as statutory rape and such.

Some criminal laws don't make sense. Work to change them by being active in the political process.

If an 18 year old and a 15 year old have consensual sex, and the 15 year old testifies that it was consensual, the 18 year old should not go to jail or be on the sex offenders list. It's ridiculous. Now it would be different if it was with say, a 12 year old because even if that was consensual, they havent even hit puberty most likely, and their brain is still in the concrete operations stage (psychology term) which therefore makes it immoral.

BAM

The statutory laws are in place to protect impressionable minors. There must be some standard. Just because someone has reached puberty does not mean they have the presence of mind to be able to consent. I would suggest a case by case review, but that is VERY difficult because it tends to eliminate standards.

Don't worry, the whole world needs a reboot. :lol:

The legislation has become so heavy (in general) and bureaucratic that is already overwhelming.
I think laws should be simple and comprehensible, not spanning over (tens of ) thousands of pages.

Anyway, I love the idea that in America you can sue your neighbor for not cutting his grass. :peace

Anyway, I love the idea that in America you can sue your neighbor for not cutting his grass. :peace
That's nothing, if you spill hot coffee on your stupid self, you can sue McDonalds.

If McDonalds keep making their coffee unnecessarily hot despite previous warnings then you deservedly win....

If McDonalds keep making their coffee unnecessarily hot despite previous warnings then you deservedly win....
Coffee's supposed to be hot. It's not McDonald's fault if you can't keep it out of your lap.

Coffee's supposed to be hot. It's not McDonald's fault if you can't keep it out of your lap.

However, internal memos that show they were aware of the problem with their cups and that the temperature of their coffee could cause serious injury and yet they fail to act DOES create culpability. The case was a little more complex than a simple spilled cup of coffee.

However, internal memos that show they were aware of the problem with their cups and that the temperature of their coffee could cause serious injury and yet they fail to act DOES create culpability. The case was a little more complex than a simple spilled cup of coffee.
What was the problem with the cups? They weren't idiot proof? Stupid lawsuits like that one are the reason we get luke-warm coffee and warnings on everything.

No.

BAM
BAM
BAM
BAM

Four threads here. I'm dizzy.
MaggieD you are not allowed to be dizzy without permission. Although BAM BAM made some good points, especially for his age I am impressed.

[
Kal'Stang;1059384010]
I agree with just about your entire post although I would say that there probably a boat load people who should be in prison. We as a people and our government needs to stop slamming people into prison for ridiculous reasons...what we call crimes.

Last edited:
What was the problem with the cups? They weren't idiot proof? Stupid lawsuits like that one are the reason we get luke-warm coffee and warnings on everything.

1) McDonalds served coffee at 180-190 degrees.
2) At 180 degrees coffee causes third degree burns in 2 to 7 seconds.
3) Between 1982 and 1992 McDonalds had received complaints from over 700 other customers about being burnt by the coffee(due to flimsy cups or spills or whatever). McDonalds settled these out of court. In addition McDonalds doubled down and suggested in internal memos that they should just set aside $500,000 to pay off victims.
4) While the Liebeck case might have been an example of needs caps on compensation, it is not an example of a frivolous lawsuit.

1) McDonalds served coffee at 180-190 degrees.
2) At 180 degrees coffee causes third degree burns in 2 to 7 seconds.
3) Between 1982 and 1992 McDonalds had received complaints from over 700 other customers about being burnt by the coffee(due to flimsy cups or spills or whatever). McDonalds settled these out of court. In addition McDonalds doubled down and suggested in internal memos that they should just set aside $500,000 to pay off victims.
4) While the Liebeck case might have been an example of needs caps on compensation, it is not an example of a frivolous lawsuit.
Yeah, 4 mil was just ridiculous. To many people look for reasons to sue business in the hope of winning a jackpot like that. I served on a civil jury awhile back where a lady had a box of paper fall on her at a Wal-Mart. By the end of the trial, the injury to her shoulder had supposedly spread to her other shoulder and she claimed she got PTSD because of it. :roll: Needless to say, we didn't give her near what she wanted.

Yeah, 4 mil was just ridiculous. To many people look for reasons to sue business in the hope of winning a jackpot like that. I served on a civil jury awhile back where a lady had a box of paper fall on her at a Wal-Mart. By the end of the trial, the injury to her shoulder had supposedly spread to her other shoulder and she claimed she got PTSD because of it. :roll: Needless to say, we didn't give her near what she wanted.

No, but she does and should have a right to be made whole based upon her actual injuries caused by Wal-Mart negligence. True?

BAM

I feel there are alot of things were assuming and the situation is more complex than your post assumes. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom