• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Our Best in Time of Need

vesper

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This thread is dedicated to those among us who are stepping up to help people in need during this health and economic crisis . If you know of an organization that is doing great things, post a link in hopes it can move others to give. If you want to share what you are doing personally to help those in need, please share and maybe it will move others to do the same in their areas. Or maybe you found a story about someone doing something exceptional to share as inspiration.

For me it is about food pantries. Everyone needs to eat. A lot of folks are not getting a paycheck at this time even though they have money coming but as always with the federal government it doesn't happen as quick as it is needed. So while you are out shopping for your family grab a few extra non-perishables and drop them off at your local food pantry. Also many grocery chains ask if you want to round up to the next dollar the store uses that money to donate food items to food banks in the area. Do it! That handful of change could provide an item for someone in need.

You can also if you find yourself with free time these days check with your local senior citizens and make sure they have what they need because they are high risk for this virus.

Share what you have with your neighbors. We were lucky this week because being senior citizens we get to shop the first hour the store is open after being stocked the night before. We wear masks, glasses to protect our eyes and my hair is shoved up into a baseball cap. Have you noticed how much your face itches since they told you to avoid touching your face? Getting ready to go to the store is quite a ritual. But this last time at least 60% of the people in the store were wearing some kind of mask. We had plenty of toilet paper to pick from but no paper towels. We picked up two large packages of toilet paper. Six rolls of these mega rolls was equivalent to 24 rolls. The young man across the street with two young boys said they needed toilet paper and nobody had any by the time he got to the stores. All he could find was a couple boxes of tissues so we gave him one of the packages we were fortunate to find. He wanted to pay us for it but we told him no but if he was out and saw paper towels to grab us a few rolls.

And last but not least here is a link to a story I found heartwarming. A Brooklyn landlord told his tenants they didn't owe any rent for the month of April due to the crisis.
What a peach!

This Brooklyn Landlord Just Canceled Rent for Hundreds of Tenants

Please share to uplift but please do not turn this thread into politically weaponizing this crisis. Thank you.

This thread is dedicated to those among us who are stepping up to help people in need during this health and economic crisis . If you know of an organization that is doing great things, post a link in hopes it can move others to give. If you want to share what you are doing personally to help those in need, please share and maybe it will move others to do the same in their areas. Or maybe you found a story about someone doing something exceptional to share as inspiration.

For me it is about food pantries. Everyone needs to eat. A lot of folks are not getting a paycheck at this time even though they have money coming but as always with the federal government it doesn't happen as quick as it is needed. So while you are out shopping for your family grab a few extra non-perishables and drop them off at your local food pantry. Also many grocery chains ask if you want to round up to the next dollar the store uses that money to donate food items to food banks in the area. Do it! That handful of change could provide an item for someone in need.

You can also if you find yourself with free time these days check with your local senior citizens and make sure they have what they need because they are high risk for this virus.

Share what you have with your neighbors. We were lucky this week because being senior citizens we get to shop the first hour the store is open after being stocked the night before. We wear masks, glasses to protect our eyes and my hair is shoved up into a baseball cap. Have you noticed how much your face itches since they told you to avoid touching your face? Getting ready to go to the store is quite a ritual. But this last time at least 60% of the people in the store were wearing some kind of mask. We had plenty of toilet paper to pick from but no paper towels. We picked up two large packages of toilet paper. Six rolls of these mega rolls was equivalent to 24 rolls. The young man across the street with two young boys said they needed toilet paper and nobody had any by the time he got to the stores. All he could find was a couple boxes of tissues so we gave him one of the packages we were fortunate to find. He wanted to pay us for it but we told him no but if he was out and saw paper towels to grab us a few rolls.

And last but not least here is a link to a story I found heartwarming. A Brooklyn landlord told his tenants they didn't owe any rent for the month of April due to the crisis.
What a peach!

This Brooklyn Landlord Just Canceled Rent for Hundreds of Tenants

Please share to uplift but please do not turn this thread into politically weaponizing this crisis. Thank you.

Teachers! I just heard of one who spent on average 10-20 minutes on the phone with each of their thirty students' parents.
Now multiply that by the eight sections that particular teacher teaches a day. That's dedication.

200317_coronavirus_food_02_0.jpg

Local restaurant cooking lunch for hospital staff. Free burritos.

Local food bank distribution at an industrial nursery. Not extraordinary, but the line of cars snaked over a mile through the area. Watching semis try to maneuver was quite a spectacle. I know many have lost work but this was the first thing I've witnessed indicating the extent of the suffering. I've never seen anything like it.

Local food bank distribution at an industrial nursery. Not extraordinary, but the line of cars snaked over a mile through the area. Watching semis try to maneuver was quite a spectacle. I know many have lost work but this was the first thing I've witnessed indicating the extent of the suffering. I've never seen anything like it.

I've been living like this since 2011 so I am used to it.

Back
Top Bottom