• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Otto Warmbier's family seeks $1.1 billion from North Korea after son's imprisonment, death

I don't think that's a chance in hell that North Korea will pay a single dime.

I don't think that's a chance in hell that North Korea will pay a single dime.

You are most likely right, but if it were tied to sanctions like we did to force Libya to pay the victims of that Pan Am flight they blew up, it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that they could get something. Certainly not $1.1B, though.

But again, you are probably right.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...eek-1-billion-damages-north-korea/2369788002/

Interesting if they can come close to collecting on this if they were to "win" in front of the DC court in Washington DC

Several Americans falsely imprisoned by Iran decades ago have sued Iran for damages and they may have gotten those awards had Obama not unilaterally sent all the Iranian money being held in escroll back to Iran before he left office. Obama, in essence, said to hell with the American victims of outbreaks of mass Muslim terrorism from tribal Iranian rulers.

Last edited:
Getting a civil judgement (basically an IOU) is the easy part - collecting on it is an entirely different matter.

You are most likely right, but if it were tied to sanctions like we did to force Libya to pay the victims of that Pan Am flight they blew up, it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that they could get something. Certainly not $1.1B, though.

But again, you are probably right.

Gaddafi had a bit of economic activity, didn't have a population which was starving, and was trying to buy his way into the good graces of international community of nations to further grow his economy. How much of that applies to North Korea?

The same regime which lofts ICBMs over peaceful nation in the region and acts belligerently.

Several Americans falsely imprisoned by Iran decades ago have sued Iran for damages and they may have gotten those awards had Obama not unilaterally sent all the Iranian money being held in escroll back to Iran before he left office. Obama, in essence, said to hell with the American victims of outbreaks of mass Muslim terrorism from tribal Iranian rulers.

I am familiar with this-however, unlike Iran-which had substantial connections with the USA -NK I don't think has much money-if any in the USA.

Oh don't worry folks, Orange Man whipped Little Rocket Man good. The Marvel movie before last, right?

They'll pay up and they'll (promise to) never ever do it again. Don't worry.

Good luck to them but the possibility of winning a suit like this is close to zilch.

Otto Warmbier was a bible thumper, yes?
If he was proselytizing, he broke DPRK law.
Not saying that the law was just, or moral, but it is their law.

Oh don't worry folks, Orange Man whipped Little Rocket Man good. The Marvel movie before last, right?

They'll pay up and they'll (promise to) never ever do it again. Don't worry.

See you are still upset with the election results? :lamo

Otto Frederick Warmbier was an American college student who was arrested in North Korea in January 2016 for attempted theft, for which he was sentenced to 15 years' imprisonment. He was traveling to Hong Kong for a study abroad program when he decided to visit North Korea on a guided tour. Wikipedia

Otto Warmbier was a bible thumper, yes?
If he was proselytizing, he broke DPRK law.
Not saying that the law was just, or moral, but it is their law.

I live in a nearby area and at one time I was an asst solicitor for the city he comes from. I don't get that idea. That city is not what you would call heavy with bible thumpers. Mainly upscale Wasp, Catholic and Jewish families-with one of the best public HSs in the Country. I think his crime was allegedly trying to filch a propaganda banner

nothing I could find suggested he was a bible thumper. He went to UVa after graduating second in his class-rather than to a Christian college. His funeral was at the Wyoming HS where he graduated. His burial was at a cemetery that I do not believe has any church affiliation-one that I used to pass almost daily for 10 years.

I live in a nearby area and at one time I was an asst solicitor for the city he comes from. I don't get that idea. That city is not what you would call heavy with bible thumpers. Mainly upscale Wasp, Catholic and Jewish families-with one of the best public HSs in the Country. I think his crime was allegedly trying to filch a propaganda banner

nothing I could find suggested he was a bible thumper. He went to UVa after graduating second in his class-rather than to a Christian college. His funeral was at the Wyoming HS where he graduated. His burial was at a cemetery that I do not believe has any church affiliation-one that I used to pass almost daily for 10 years.

I clearly have his story confused with another person caught in North Korea. It happens.

I clearly have his story confused with another person caught in North Korea. It happens.

Yeah I recall hearing about something like that but since this happened to a kid (I never met him nor his family) who grew up in a town where my wife lived until she was 17 and since I did lots of legal work for that town when I was in private practice, It is something I followed pretty closely. I have no idea what his religion was-I'd guess catholic or Jewish based on most of the people I know who live there but that is pure speculation on my part. Bible thumper doesn't fit the demographics of that place

I am sure Kim Jong Un's best friends, Dennis Rodman and trump will convince him to pay the family $$$ for their son who broke North Korean law.

Let's tell it as it is:

1. That young man was absolutely wrong to take that banner as a souvenir. Being an American, he was used to the fact that people here often just get a slap on the wrist for "minor" crimes.

2. North Korea was absolutely wrong in giving him such a savage punishment (sent to a labor camp).

a. Several decades ago an American brat in Singapore keyed a car. The court ordered him to be caned. There was an uproar here in the States. I do not remember whether the sentence was carried out. Maybe if we caned a few of our young offenders, they might think twice before committing crime.

3. His parents should sue. One way or another, they may eventually get a cash settlement. Even if it is only for a nominal sum, it would help them with closure.

Let's tell it as it is:

1. That young man was absolutely wrong to take that banner as a souvenir. Being an American, he was used to the fact that people here often just get a slap on the wrist for "minor" crimes.

2. North Korea was absolutely wrong in giving him such a savage punishment (sent to a labor camp).

a. Several decades ago an American brat in Singapore keyed a car. The court ordered him to be caned. There was an uproar here in the States. I do not remember whether the sentence was carried out. Maybe if we caned a few of our young offenders, they might think twice before committing crime.

3. His parents should sue. One way or another, they may eventually get a cash settlement. Even if it is only for a nominal sum, it would help them with closure.

the young man in Singapore was caned. while not a pleasant experience, his health was safeguarded and other than a sore ass, had no repercussions. his sentence was consistent with what other miscreants received.

What nerve you have, we must never speak badly of the anointed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the young man in Singapore was caned.

Good to hear.

Chances are that he never keyed another car.

When I was a stupid teenager in the 1950s, I threw a stone at school. The teacher told me to bend over. He gave me one swat. I have never forgotten that and have never thrown another stone.

Good luck to them but the possibility of winning a suit like this is close to zilch.

No, winning the suit is easy: NK will not show up thus plaintiff will get a default judgment.

Collecting is the problem.

No, winning the suit is easy: NK will not show up thus plaintiff will get a default judgment.

Collecting is the problem.

was it Andrew Jackson who said-you now have your judgement-go ahead and enforce it

you are absolutely right-I believe all that is required is a finding that NK is a "terrorist state" to allow "Jurisdiction".

I don't believe that NK has any tangible assets subject to the jurisdiction of this court

What nerve you have, we must never speak badly of the anointed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admit there are likely more murderers out there who would love to kill people like me for speaking ill of their "anointed" black leader.

Back
Top Bottom