• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ottawa's core locked down as police prepare to move on protesters

Best wishes to the brave truckers in Canada as they fight Canada's unlikely dictator.
The protesters aren't interested in fighting against a 'dictator'. Their manifesto calls for the Governor General and the Senate to overrule the democratically elected government. Setting aside the fact that such a thing would be Constitutionally impossible it flies in the face of opposing tyranny.

The protesters aren't interested in fighting against a 'dictator'. Their manifesto calls for the Governor General and the Senate to overrule the democratically elected government. Setting aside the fact that such a thing would be Constitutionally impossible it flies in the face of opposing tyranny.
Wonder how many will leave when they start clearing protesters block by block?

A convoy of tow trucks is moving toward the main protest area. The company names on the trucks have been painted over and "Police" put in their place.
Just saw that on CBC, had me wondering

Just saw that on CBC, had me wondering
It's a way of getting around tow rig owner's fear of boycott or threats I suppose. No doubt protesters can figure out who owns the trucks based on the overall colour scheme but I don't think a boycott would go very far. When a truck breaks down on a 400 highway they don't get to pick and choose which towing company gets dispatched.

Wonder how many will leave when they start clearing protesters block by block?
According to reporters many have left the past couple of days and overnight. Some are leaving voluntarily now. Rigs are being towed away now.

We have talked about this before and while I think it’s still a minority (and a vocal one at that) it’s more sizable than you think.

For years I’ve been talking about the rise of nativist thinking among white Canadians and they are becoming more vocal and visible and it is worrying to me.

I see conservatism in Canada becoming more extreme than when I first came, I see national identity becoming more rigid among many of its white supporters and when you look at Saskatchewan and Alberta and Kenny especially, his bid to appeal to these trucker protesters to build a new base overnight was so transparent it’s unbelievable you can see how much they want to pivot to these neanderthals.

In BC we seem to be slightly more reasonable, but I worry that Trudeaus actions may be slightly too aggressive and will cause more problems than it will solve in the long run with these wannabe Alabama trailer park freedumb folks.

But we’ll see…
I certainly agree with the bolded. I think Trudeau has no idea, yet, of the impact his recent actions will have! I won't be at all surprised if Canada looks like a very different country going forth. I don't think Trudeau has been "slightly" too aggressive. I think he's been drowning in his messes - from the illogical, unreasonable and very badly timed January 15th mandate to every action since. Like you expressed, we'll see.

I again repeat - my suspicion is that Justin Turdeau has invoked Emergency powers after getting a phone call from a worried Biden urging him to act quickly, before the Canadian truckers protest becomes a North American truckers protest (ie. before American truckers start getting similar ideas for asserting themselves in support of their rights). Biden has likely given Justin reassurances of Whitehouse backing if strong action is taken to eliminate these protests before they spread further. Otherwise, the spineless mama's boy Justin Turdeau wouldn't have the guts to act so megalomaniacally on his own. Note that the Whitehouse has been conspicuously silent on the invocation of Emergency powers by America's important neighbor and closest ally.

I strongly disagree with those actions. The police should absolutely arrest them and they should be tried, but the extrajudicial stuff is bullshit and kinda worry to me to be honest.
I think I remember you recently expressing great disagreement with the asset freezing. If I'm remembering correctly and it was you, oh how I agree with you!!!!!

I certainly agree with the bolded. I think Trudeau has no idea, yet, of the impact his recent actions will have! I won't be at all surprised if Canada looks like a very different country going forth. I don't think Trudeau has been "slightly" too aggressive. I think he's been drowning in his messes - from the illogical, unreasonable and very badly timed January 15th mandate to every action since. Like you expressed, we'll see.
I think he's far less aggressive than his father during the FLQ crisis. But it can be argued that the FLQ situation was a much more serious threat in that it included bombings and kidnappings by a terrorist group.

Those who muse whether this could have been accomplished by giving the Ottawa Police more resources have a good point and I think this will be controversial for years. What is happening today to clear away the protesters could have been accomplished without the emergency measures powers.

I don't think it will fundamentally change Canada though.

I again repeat - my suspicion is that Justin Turdeau has invoked Emergency powers after getting a phone call from a worried Biden urging him to act quickly, before the Canadian truckers protest becomes a North American truckers protest (ie. before American truckers start getting similar ideas for asserting themselves in support of their rights). Biden has likely given Justin reassurances of Whitehouse backing if strong action is taken to eliminate these protests before they spread further. Otherwise, the spineless mama's boy Justin Turdeau wouldn't have the guts to act so megalomaniacally on his own. Note that the Whitehouse has been conspicuously silent on the invocation of Emergency powers by America's important neighbor and closest ally.
You bet they've been conspicuously silent! I certainly think it possible the two leaders have been communicating on the topic.

Yet the EA was needed for specific actions needed by police to close this down
Checkpoints for entry to protest area. This is covered under the EA, otherwise police cannot just stop people asking for ID and reasons why they need to enter the area

Suspending insurance/ freezing bank accounts, also covered under the EA

Trudeau was right to issue the EA

Meanwhile Premier Ford did nothing from the beginning, but stand by. Premier has the authority to issue an EO for Ottawa which he did not

The police operation to remove protesters in Ottawa began about 20 minutes ago. The police seem to be arresting people on foot to start with. I'm sure Ottawa residents, sick of the disruption and noise will be cheering this on.

Link

maybe the Police will administer a few Wood Shampoos to get things briskly moving along?

I think I remember you recently expressing great disagreement with the asset freezing. If I'm remembering correctly and it was you, oh how I agree with you!!!!!
I was. I strongly disagree with the state freezing assets as a means of breaking up protest. I generally agree with Allan that if it ends here I don't think Canada will become 1984 or anything like that. But I think the action is worth criticizing. Some people are saying that the only assets that are being frozen are the people receiving large amounts of foreign funds, but that seems to be false.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said at Monday's news conference that banks would be able freeze personal accounts of anyone linked with the protests without any need for a court order.

Vehicle insurance of anyone involved with the demonstrations can also be suspended, she added.
Ms Freeland said they were broadening Canada's "Terrorist Financing" rules to cover cryptocurrencies and crowdfunding platforms
But the Canadian Civil Liberties Association disagreed, warning that the move "threatens our democracy and our civil liberties".

It is also still unclear what recourse protesters may have after their accounts are frozen. The emergency order protects financial institutions against civil liability for freezing or suspending personal or business accounts, which is permitted without a court order as long as the institutions act in good faith to use their temporary powers.

I think he's far less aggressive than his father during the FLQ crisis. But it can be argued that the FLQ situation was a much more serious threat in that it included bombings and kidnappings by a terrorist group.

Those who muse whether this could have been accomplished by giving the Ottawa Police more resources have a good point and I think this will be controversial for years. What is happening today to clear away the protesters could have been accomplished without the emergency measures powers.

I don't think it will fundamentally change Canada though.
And there is a mandatory review by the Govt/Parliament when using an EA

maybe the Police will administer a few Wood Shampoos to get things briskly moving along?

Heh heh heh, this reminds me of a story some years ago, prolly about 15 years ago a young friend of mine went over to Canada and was doing some rabble rousing and acting a damn FOOL.

And he was indeed on the receiving end of a Wood Shampoo administered by the RCMP BWAHAHAHAA, face was all busted up when he got out of the can several days later.

ya live and learn I always say! A nice hickory baton can be even more persuasive than a judge and jury sometimes IMO.(y)

And ya know....my buddy never went back to Canada ever again. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

You sympathize with trumpists and traitors and you believe anti vax nonsense.

No reason to take your opinion with any degree of seriousness.

I strongly disagree with those actions. The police should absolutely arrest them and they should be tried, but the extrajudicial stuff is bullshit and kinda worry to me to be honest.
It is legal, under the EA, and IMHO will be used sparingly

We should have a link - Canadian Politics/Laws/History as the vast majority know SFA about Canada
When the temp is 25 C do you consider that cold?

The police operation to remove protesters in Ottawa began about 20 minutes ago. The police seem to be arresting people on foot to start with. I'm sure Ottawa residents, sick of the disruption and noise will be cheering this on.

Link
As far as I can see the only law violated is if they blockade safe passage on streets. The tremendous overreach of the Canadian government, emergency act, freezes bank accounts, stifling free speech in some instances, is going to make a situation worse not better.
The king of black face, Trudeau has the nerve to call conservatives nazis. I hope the Canadians see the light and get rid of that guy in the next election.

As far as I can see the only law violated is if they blockade safe passage on streets. The tremendous overreach of the Canadian government, emergency act, freezes bank accounts, stifling free speech in some instances, is going to make a situation worse not better.
The king of black face, Trudeau has the nerve to call conservatives nazis. I hope the Canadians see the light and get rid of that guy in the next election.
He didn't call Conservatives nazis.

The problem we are experiencing is that these extremist on the left don't love America, they want to change America into something wicked and corrupt. They aren't trying to improve America, they are trying to destroy it. Supporting a narrative of alternative history that is false and creates division, stokes hate, falsely blames others isn't a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom