• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

OSHA to Investigate Act of God

I'm quite sure the left will invent things to investigate if none are available. I wouldn't be surprised if this tornado will be blamed on Trump. If Obama failed to accomplish something, he blamed Bush for the failures of his leftist regime.
:ROFLMAO:

You are quite the comedian!

:ROFLMAO:

An “act of god”, eh

Which begs the question … why does an alleged ‘all-good’, ‘all-powerful’ god allow these kinds of disasters to occur?

Does it get its jollies watching its alleged creations being crushed to death?

And just a couple weeks before many of them were to celebrate the birth of the baby chee-suss, no less.

Can't the alleged god stop tornadoes … or earthquakes … or volcanoes from erupting and burning people to death?

If not, well then, it’s clearly either not ‘all-powerful’ … or not ‘all-good’.

Heard the homeland security dude say on NPR this morning that the per capita income in the town where that candle factory is located is just $18,000 per year.

Many people were working in the factory to earn some extra loot.

Aren't those peoples’ lives hard enough without 200 mph winds crashin’ into their faces?

Just what kind of a sick, rotten MOFO is this alleged god???

I'm quite sure the left will invent things to investigate if none are available. I wouldn't be surprised if this tornado will be blamed on Trump. If Obama failed to accomplish something, he blamed Bush for the failures of his leftist regime.

I posted the relevant regulation.

Nothing needs to be invented.

The truth is, while the tornado clusters were rated at F2, I have my suspicions that the speeds went drastically UP in some spots and I suspect that warehouse was hit at F3 or F4 speeds.
The damage doesn't LOOK LIKE 150 mph winds at all, I've SEEN what 150 mph winds can do.

Not sure what an investigation like this will accomplish when you have a tornado with winds of 150 mph. It's doubtful any building is built to withstand that kind of wind and from what direction it came from.

"
OSHA has six months to complete its investigation, issue citations and propose monetary penalties if violations of workplace safety and or health regulations are found, Scott Allen, a U.S. Department of Labor regional director for public affairs, said via email. He added that compliance officers have been on site since Saturday.

Six workers were killed when the Amazon warehouse in Edwardsville, Illinois, buckled under the force of the devastating storm, police said. A barrage of tornadoes ripped through six U.S. states, leaving a trail of death and destruction at homes and businesses stretching more than 200 miles (322 km).
"
Probably not looking at the structure but the workplace inside.

OSHA should be shuttered, along with at least 1/3 of our FedGov institutions.

And it's not just going to be an inspector. Whomever approved the plans that did not allow for shelter in place will also have his nuts on the hibachi.
Not necessarily. It depends on which building codes were in effect at the time of construction. Also, there may very well be different standards for different structures, depending on the stated purpose of the structure at the time of construction. Did Amazon build this building or did they move into an existing building? Further, older buildings may be grandfathered if codes subsequently are upgraded, particularly if retrofitting would be deemed excessively expensive.

As far as OSHA is concerned, Federal OSHA standards are the minimum and state OSHA regulations only take precedence if they are more stringent than the federal standards.

:LOL: Well, not to me. (still good to see you again!)
or to any reasonable person

ENHnr0vW4AMehf_.png

An “act of god”, eh

Which begs the question … why does an alleged ‘all-good’, ‘all-powerful’ god allow these kinds of disasters to occur?

Does it get its jollies watching its alleged creations being crushed to death?

And just a couple weeks before many of them were to celebrate the birth of the baby chee-suss, no less.

Can't the alleged god stop tornadoes … or earthquakes … or volcanoes from erupting and burning people to death?

If not, well then, it’s clearly either not ‘all-powerful’ … or not ‘all-good’.

Heard the homeland security dude say on NPR this morning that the per capita income in the town where that candle factory is located is just $18,000 per year.

Many people were working in the factory to earn some extra loot.

Aren't those peoples’ lives hard enough without 200 mph winds crashin’ into their faces?

Just what kind of a sick, rotten MOFO is this alleged god???
God could provide humans an environment where everything was always absolutely beautiful. There would be nothing unpleasant or sad - ever. No death, no illness, everything tasted delicious. There would be no fear or hardship of any kind. No poverty, or disease. No weakness or disability for anyone. No anger or jealousy, just love and happiness everywhere. There would be no greed, theft, or thievery. No murder or assaults. No wars or slavery anywhere. No natural disasters of any kind.

So, instead of asking "Just what kind of a sick, rotten MOFO is this alleged god???" You might do well to ask yourself "Why doesn't this alleged God give us this wonderful bliss?" The answer might surprise you. Here's a hint: It has to do with mankind's free agency and our ability to gain knowledge, some things God chose to give us. If he hadn't, we'd be little more than occupants of an ant farm.

OSHA should be shuttered, along with at least 1/3 of our FedGov institutions.
Yes, because life for American workers was so much better before OSHA. Just ask the coal miners of Virginia or the garment workers in New York or the factory workers in Detroit.

Unless, that is, you feel making workplaces safer for the workers and holding business owners accountable for safety is a bad thing.

Who is to say, who was right. If the employees were allowed to leave before the tornado but were caught up in the whirlwind while driving, then would there be another investigation of Amazon for allowing employees to leave early rather than shelter in place? It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. These Amazon facilities are nothing more than distribution warehouses, not built to withstand tornadoes. I doubt if this area considered tornado alley? There is a facility just built in my hometown and built the same way as all these facilities. Where was OSHA when the facility was being built? Did they sign off on its construction?
Short answer: No. Stop trying to shift the blame. It's unbecoming. Especially your headline.

Not sure what an investigation like this will accomplish when you have a tornado with winds of 150 mph. It's doubtful any building is built to withstand that kind of wind and from what direction it came from.

"
OSHA has six months to complete its investigation, issue citations and propose monetary penalties if violations of workplace safety and or health regulations are found, Scott Allen, a U.S. Department of Labor regional director for public affairs, said via email. He added that compliance officers have been on site since Saturday.

Six workers were killed when the Amazon warehouse in Edwardsville, Illinois, buckled under the force of the devastating storm, police said. A barrage of tornadoes ripped through six U.S. states, leaving a trail of death and destruction at homes and businesses stretching more than 200 miles (322 km).
"
Are you being sarcastic, or are you really that dense?

So if OSHA declares God exists do I have to start going to church?

Because different states choose to regulate different things differently. There’s always a cost-safety trade off. Mandating shelters in trailer parks means you’ll pay more for lot rental for your trailer, all else being equal.

So it’s possible some states may mandate this expense and others will not.

Of course the normal response is “what is your life worth”? But the truth is everyone makes cost benefit analysis

No, not everybody makes an informed cost benefit analysis. When you go to a job interview at Amazon, do you think they tell you that you'd be safer from tornados if you worked in a corner store made of bricks? It won't even be in the fine print of your contract.

To be balanced about it, suppose you follow your new partner back to Memphis and the only job you can get is night shift. Is the employer going to tell you what everyone there knows, that travelling late at night is really dangerous? No, no they're going to be glad some sucker took the job.

So if OSHA declares God exists do I have to start going to church?

Or work on your law degree. Suing God is a heavy lift.

No, not everybody makes an informed cost benefit analysis. When you go to a job interview at Amazon, do you think they tell you that you'd be safer from tornados if you worked in a corner store made of bricks? It won't even be in the fine print of your contract.

To be balanced about it, suppose you follow your new partner back to Memphis and the only job you can get is night shift. Is the employer going to tell you what everyone there knows, that travelling late at night is really dangerous? No, no they're going to be glad some sucker took the job.
Maybe so, but it’s impossible to statistically analyze life and live that way. If you knew you’d die staying in the warehouse you’d walk out and get fired because that’s preferable to dying. So clearly the danger wasn’t so obvious. Really this is like the N71CA crash in New Jersey, an experienced pilot flies into icing weather after knowing there was icing alerts and who routinely flew through ice and on that day everything went wrong. There was no reason to suspect in a tornado prone area with that forecast it would be different then normal tornado warnings
I happen to work nights out of East LA which has a reputation for being dangerous. Oddly enough I’ve never had a problem. Maybe I’m just tolerant and easy going.

Interesting that you mention Bush. Right wingers generally like to avoid the subject — or subjects: the way they turned on the nearly faultless GHW Bush is a sore point too.

Bush was already badly on the nose due to his wars, but what really killed him for the American people was one photograph of him looking out the window of Airforce One at the wreckage of Hurricane Katrina. I hate that pictures influence people more than words do, but that's how it is. He didn't land in Baton Rouge, to look down on the floods. He diverted his flight back from his ranch in Texas ... to look down on the floods. Deeply Republican Louisiana, now just a flyover state.

In this partisan age (which started in the 1990's) there is nothing worse than being disloyal to your own people.

This is in Illinois, which is quite blue. Of course Democrats should stand up for their own people. If States were doing what they claim the right to do, the Federal government would not need to do a thing. States (blue AND red) are all about claiming credit when things go well, but begging for help when they don't. Possible exception of CA and TX, but they're big enough to be countries.

Maybe so, but it’s impossible to statistically analyze life and live that way. If you knew you’d die staying in the warehouse you’d walk out and get fired because that’s preferable to dying. So clearly the danger wasn’t so obvious.

Illinois is not usually tornado country, so I guess you're right.

Unless required otherwise, I bet Amazon builds all their warehouses just the same. It's cheaper to standardize.

Really this is like the N71CA crash in New Jersey, an experienced pilot flies into icing weather after knowing there was icing alerts and who routinely flew through ice and on that day everything went wrong. There was no reason to suspect in a tornado prone area with that forecast it would be different then normal tornado warnings
I happen to work nights out of East LA which has a reputation for being dangerous. Oddly enough I’ve never had a problem. Maybe I’m just tolerant and easy going.

Or maybe the bad guys were done with mugging, and were smoking the proceeds. :LOL:

I lived in the worst area of my city for a while. I got burgled twice, but one of those times an old guy from down the same street offered to get my money back (he was an uncle I think of the burglars, but I declined.) But getting around on foot and obviously not having much money, I never got mugged. Harassed a bit for being too white, maybe for being gay. It's hard to tell when the muggers are all drunk and arguing with each other.

Funny thing when you get old. What used to be good memories are all worn out from retelling, and what used to be bad memories seem rather good. Is that nostalgia?

It seems fairly obvious that if you build a large warehouse in an area prone to tornadoes and extreme weather you should expect to have evacuation procedures and safe places for staff.

Not having those is extreme negligence and any country worth a damn will have laws requiring those things.

Illinois is not usually tornado country, so I guess you're right.

Unless required otherwise, I bet Amazon builds all their warehouses just the same. It's cheaper to standardize.

They’re similar. I worked for the River in Brazil for some time, they’re not all identical but they’re close.

They can’t always be built the same
Or maybe the bad guys were done with mugging, and were smoking the proceeds. :LOL:

I lived in the worst area of my city for a while. I got burgled twice, but one of those times an old guy from down the same street offered to get my money back (he was an uncle I think of the burglars, but I declined.) But getting around on foot and obviously not having much money, I never got mugged. Harassed a bit for being too white, maybe for being gay. It's hard to tell when the muggers are all drunk and arguing with each other.
I’ve never been harassed or the victim of a crime, although I’m tan and have dark hair and eyes and In East LA people only learn I’m white when they address me in Spanish and they can tell because of my accent even though I speak Spanish. (This is a near entirely Latino community)
Funny thing when you get old. What used to be good memories are all worn out from retelling, and what used to be bad memories seem rather good. Is that nostalgia?
Maybe. I’m not sure what constitutes nostalgia

Back
Top Bottom