• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oscar

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It is nice to see The Favourite get so many nominations, I saw it a few weeks back and thought it quite good.... and I am the guy who is constantly yapping about how Hollywood turns out poor work now and how I cant finish 4/5 movies I start on Streaming because they are either nonsense or just bad.

Nice to see Amy Adams get nominated again, I have not seen Vice but I like her a lot.

I only saw 1/8 of the Best Picture nominees this year, probably my worst ever....I wanted to get to Bohemian Rhapsody but not enough to actually make it......I was going to see A Star is Born in fact I was for hot for it till the reviews came out about it being not very well done schmaltz....that the only thing decent here is the soundtrack and musical numbers.

Last edited:
My favorite from the year was GREEN BOOK. Just one great film.

I would love to see Viggo Mortensen win Best Actor as he turns in a marvelous performance.

A STAR IS BORN and BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY were both good but not in the class of GREEN BOOK.

Just look at this year’s eight best picture contenders: “Black Panther” (a one-film revolution, and long overdue: the first epically scaled African-American superhero movie), “BlacKkKlansman” (a racial police drama of searing relevance), “The Favourite” (a costume drama of intense post-#MeToo consciousness about issues of female oppression and power), “Roma” (a drama of class consciousness and luminous empathy for a Mexican housekeeper, in an era when immigrants are being demonized), and “Vice” (a pointed political-satirical attack on the sins of a clandestine conservative demagogue).

Plus, a pair of movies that wear their social agenda in such a retrograde way that a lot of woke media types consider them to be beneath contempt, yet the agendas are still very much there: “Green Book” (a classic Hollywood liberal message movie about racial understanding) and “Bohemian Rhapsody” (which presents its Live Aid concert climax as the drama of Freddie Mercury finally coming to full terms with his sexual identity). I would argue, in fact, that though some of us have a major problem with the way that “Bohemian Rhapsody” plays down Freddie’s gayness, for the vast mainstream audience that embraced the movie, its old-fangled liberal message of “self-acceptance” was a crucial element of the film’s appeal.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/oscar-nominations-social-message-black-panther-1203114265/

For Hollywood now the political agenda AKA UTOPIA is more important than the quality of the art, much more important.

2018 was meh for me. Nothing worthwhile so I wont be watching the Oscars.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/oscar-nominations-social-message-black-panther-1203114265/

For Hollywood now the political agenda AKA UTOPIA is more important than the quality of the art, much more important.

I don't think so. Many will talk about political agendas, some will show up at rallys for this cause or another. Some Oscar winners may use the platform to espouse a political view.
I will change your sentence:

For Hollywood now, the political agenda AKA UTOPIA the box office is more important than the quality of the art, much more important.

I don't think so. Many will talk about political agendas, some will show up at rallys for this cause or another. Some Oscar winners may use the platform to espouse a political view.
I will change your sentence:

For Hollywood now, the political agenda AKA UTOPIA the box office is more important than the quality of the art, much more important.

Look at how the Mind Molders have ruined the box office appeal of Star Wars, and have no intention of changing course.

I agree, though there's always been the tendency to focus on "prestige films." It's just that these days "prestige" means subscribing to liberal politics.

I just got back from Green Book.....this thing is straight up a lefty "Arent we just so awesome because we believe the right things" feel good movie.

It could well win Best Picture.

Saw the Queen movie at the Lacey Regal, a 150ish seat theater, one of three customers. Very good and I like how it is edgy by refusing to pander the queer and strange crowd, the LQ***** political pressure groups, buy refusing to make Mercury a victim.

Good enough for 10/10, and I will not be upset if this beats The Favourite.

Back
Top Bottom