• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Osama Bin Laden. Did the White House just give up?

Actually I was referring to post 183 and misunderstood your text as I just re-read it. My apologies.......I made no sense as I misunderstood the thread....my bad

alphieb said:
Actually I was referring to post 183 and misunderstood your text as I just re-read it. My apologies.......I made no sense as I misunderstood the thread....my bad

Oh ok I thought it was something. But its cool. It was just kinda wierd though for a while.

SKILMATIC said:
Oh ok I thought it was something. But its cool. It was just kinda wierd though for a while.

I was watching a movie and dealing with my kids at the same time. I can imagine how weird that sounded.....sorry

alphieb said:
I was watching a movie and dealing with my kids at the same time. I can imagine how weird that sounded.....sorry

Nah its cool. I can only imagine how crazy that is. :lol:

You have your hands full.

SKILMATIC said:
IMO any inhumane agressor needs to be taken out. Whethor it be right then and there or later. I also IMO I beleive we need to do this in other countries as well but I doubt that will happen. The WMD thing never really was a thing for me I was more concerned about the safety of the Iraqi people than anything.

Then we should invade Lybia?

I disagree it is our job to determine the types of government other nations have. IMO, with some exception, people of a nation have the right to self determination as to the type of goverment they want, and if that includes a dictator, that is up to them. Even a dictator needs a fundamental level of support or he cannot take and maintain power.

I disagree it is a wise policy to make this decision unilaterally. Especially because we are the sole superpower, we should be more hesitant to use our power. Imagine that instead of the US, Russia was the superpower, and announced a policy of invading and occupying countries when it decided it didn't like their government. Doesn't sound like such a great policy in that context, does it? That is how other countries look at us. And then people wonder why Iran and other countries decide they want nukes and China decides it next to rapidly expand its military potential? They do not trust us. And given US actions over the last few years and particularly since 2000, I don't blame them. I don't trust the US either. US leaders have shown they will not be good international citizens, but instead be a bully because they are the most powerful.

If there is a case where there is a disaster, usually there will be a regional if not international consensus that action is appropirate. It that case use of power is legitimate. So is self defense.

Finally, even though we are a the sole superpower, our capabilities are far from limitless. Fighting wars all over the world because we don't like the government is a good way to eventually bankrupt the nation.

Now in terms of comparing the 2. There really is no argument becasue both were agressors in their time. Both broke the rules of international law. Both were unstable leaders. Both were inhumane to people. Both committed attrocites. Both were dictators.

Germany invaded another country in 1939. Iraq did not in 2003.

However, I will admit that we should have gotten him originally however you know what they say, "Better late than never." :lol:

That is what we are finding out.

Last edited:
Then we should invade Lybia?

I wouldnt always do a large scale invasion operation on every known country. But we can easy do the same tactics by using covert operations. Or using air power and make them concede that way.

I disagree it is our job to determine the types of government other nations have. IMO, with some exception, people of a nation have the right to self determination as to the type of goverment they want, and if that includes a dictator, that is up to them. Even a dictator needs a fundamental level of support or he cannot take and maintain power.

This is exactly what I am saying. However, if its a gov that will be and/or already has been caustic to society then its time for them to go for the security and safety of the world. Now of course if a gov is adored by the people and is no threat to the stability of mankind then I wouldnt invade even though they be a dictatorship.

I disagree it is a wise policy to make this decision unilaterally.

I somewhat disgree. It all depends on the situation. Do you think its right that we let warlords in africa kill millions and starve millions? Well this is what we did because we wanted to be multi-lateral.

I don't blame them. I don't trust the US either. US leaders have shown they will not be good international citizens, but instead be a bully because they are the most powerful.

Well when was the last time you could totally trust any gov? In terms of trust I have never trusted any politician or gov. Thats just a common fact throughout history. I feel ya there brutha.

If there is a case where there is a disaster, usually there will be a regional if not international consensus that action is appropirate. It that case use of power is legitimate. So is self defense.

I agree too. However, the major countries that didnt want to go(ie france, germany, aand Russia) they all had huge contracts with Iraq in the area of military armamment and supplies. Of course they didnt want to ruin their money trails. This is also the reason why they would rather let sadaam rule than taking him down.

Finally, even though we are a the sole superpower, our capabilities are far from limitless. Fighting wars all over the world because we don't like the government is a good way to eventually bankrupt the nation.

I also agree, however, if the nimrodds in the white house start using their heads and take Iraqs oil for awhile to pay back what we did for them we wouldnt have this problem. I think having to pay 25cents a gal for gas is a great way to say thank you dnt you think?

Germany invaded another country in 1939. Iraq did not in 2003.

But Iraq did in 91.

That is what we are finding out.

Yeppers

This thread kinda died down...and I HATE IT when someone restarts a "dead thread", but in this instance, it has relevance...I could've started another thread, but why dilute the forum?...I'm restarting it with new information and not replying to something somebody said 5 weeks ago...

This thread was started because one member was questioning what was going on in Afghanistan and the hunt for Bin Laden...a few other members believed the hunt drifted away...

Today, proof has been shown otherwise...

I have a theory which I've stated on more than one occasion...go here it you feel like reading it...

I'm not saying I'm absolutely correct, but recent news suggests that I'm going in the right direction, AND the hunt is still very much in effect...

2 hours ago

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - One of al-Qaida's top five leaders, said to be responsible for planning overseas strikes, was killed by Pakistani security forces in a rocket attack near the Afghan border with U.S. help, American and Pakistani officials said Saturday.

Hamza Rabia, a key associate of al-Qaida No. 2 Ayman al-Zawahri, died Thursday in an explosion in the North Waziristan tribal area, and his remains were identified in DNA tests, Information Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed said...

The officials said Rabia was believed to be an Egyptian and head of al-Qaida's foreign operations, possibly as senior as the No. 3 official in the terrorist group. That would put him in a tier just below Osama bin Laden and al-Zawahri...

As head of operations, Rabia would have been responsible for training, recruiting, networking and, most importantly, planning international terrorist activities outside the Afghan-Pakistan region.

One of the officials said Rabia also may have been involved in operations inside the region...

A senior Pakistani intelligence official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media, said a missile attack triggered a huge explosion in a stockpile of bomb-making materials, grenades and other munitions.

Other Pakistani intelligence officials, also not identifying themselves for the same reason, said U.S. assistance played a critical role in tracking down Rabia and "eliminating the threat" that he posed...

The Dawn newspaper, citing sources it did not identify, reported that the attack on a mud-walled home near Miran Shah may have been launched from two pilotless planes. Miran Shah is a strategic tribal region where remnants of al-Qaida are believed to have been hiding and where Pakistani forces have launched several operations against them.

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2005/12/03/276142.html

The Bush admin never had any intention to capture Bin Laden.

He is worth too much to them as an invisible bogey man to ever risk capturing him.

The reason the Bush admin has created new bogeymen such as "Al Zarqawi" is to try and make the public forget about capturing Bin Laden. It doesnt seem to be working though, despite what Fox News might say.

With the technology available to the US, which includes being able to read a car's licence plate from outer space, there is nowhere on Earth that Bin Laden could hide, if they were serious about finding him.

Blake Johnson said:
The Bush admin never had any intention to capture Bin Laden.

He is worth too much to them as an invisible bogey man to ever risk capturing him.

The reason the Bush admin has created new bogeymen such as "Al Zarqawi" is to try and make the public forget about capturing Bin Laden. It doesnt seem to be working though, despite what Fox News might say.

Ummmm, are you stoned? When we get him the Administration will be parading him in front of the camea, dead or alive. Why would we keep it a secret. There are too many political points to gain by bragging about it. Personally I want him alive, I want him to face justice in an American court.

Blake Johnson said:
With the technology available to the US, which includes being able to read a car's licence plate from outer space, there is nowhere on Earth that Bin Laden could hide, if they were serious about finding him.

Spoken like somebody who has no idea how remote and mountainous the region is over there. It's thousands of square miles of mountains, caves, and rocks.

As advanced as our technology is and as capable as our military is, it's going to take some help in finding OBL. Just like it took help to find Saddam, somebody ratted him out.

BTW, great job by the CIA and Pakistani security forces in taking down another AQ leader, Hamza Rabia. The hunt continues.

Back
Top Bottom