• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Orrin's hypocrisy

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Steve Schmidt nails Hatch on his hypocrisy

The man is 84 years old. The dichotomy between the lucidity of his Clinton era remarks about how Congress should react to Presidential dissembling and those he made this week suggest to me he's suffering from age-related dementia. I'm ascribing the difference to dementia because I don't want to think the man is fundamentally disingenuous and a hypocrite.

The fact that Orrin Hatch has served in the same job from the Gerald Ford Administration thru the Trump Administration is troubling. Hatch came to the Senate in 1976, FFS!

Hatch called Trump "a very good man".

That sums up Hatch's abandonment of reality/principles/however you want to call it.

The rest is details.

The man is 84 years old. The dichotomy between the lucidity of his Clinton era remarks about how Congress should react to Presidential dissembling and those he made this week suggest to me he's suffering from age-related dementia. I'm ascribing the difference to dementia because I don't want to think the man is fundamentally disingenuous and a hypocrite.

There is no evidence mr. Hatch is suffering from dementia.

If the Kanvanagh hearing showed us anything it was that we need age limits on our legislators.

I agree.

What he suffers from is the pain that comes with having made a deal with he devil.

Steve Schmidt nails Hatch on his hypocrisy

Thanks for passing this clip on. Steve Schmidt has been just totally insightful over the last two years in nailing Trump to the cross and betraying true Republican principles. Nice to see he found room for Hatch on the cross next to the Donald.

Well, if you'd watched my mother's dementia develop over the past 20 or so years, you'd think there is evidence....

Sure, we don't, for Hatch, have two psychiatrist's evaluation attestations, and we're not likely to get such a thing. If that's your idea of evidence, no we don't have it.

If the Kanvanagh hearing showed us anything it was that we need age limits on our legislators.

That probably isn't a bad idea...at least, I think it's a good enough one to evaluate implementing. I don't have a firm stance on the notion of establishing an upper age limit on holding elected office because I haven't to my satisfaction analyzed the matter.

Well, if you'd watched my mother's dementia develop over the past 20 or so years, you'd think there is evidence....

Sure, we don't, for Hatch, have two psychiatrist's evaluation attestations, and we're not likely to get such a thing. If that's your idea of evidence, no we don't have it.

No we don't have it. My mother is 92 and shows more signs than mr. Hatch and she does not have dementia, either --she's just 92. similarity mr. Hatch is just in his eighties. It's the difference between being normal at your age and having an actual case of dementia. I once worked in a home for the mentally disabled which had two Residents that were in their nineties and had dementia and assure you hatch is so far away from it that is ridiculous to even say so. He would have to actually develop later in the obvious and then you can say in retrospect this stage was happening towards dementia but in and of itself he could be just a normal 80 something year old.

I think it depends on the person involved.

Former representative John Dingell has an incredibly clever wit and is still lucid despite being 92.

Not bad for a guy who served in Congress for nearly 60 years between 1955 to 2015

The evidence is that he's a hate-filled, duplicitous social conservative, steeped in hypocrisy who takes delight in pissing on the rule of law and constitution.

He had a famous friendship with Ted Kennedy, supposedly helping Senator Kennedy onto an improved life path.

Maybe he's trying to repeat that magic with Trump.

But when he calls Trump a very good man and criticizes his supposed friend John McCain for not wanting Trump at his funeral ... whatever Hatch is trying to do, he is all kinds of wrong. I used to greatly respect Hatch. No more.

He had a famous friendship with Ted Kennedy, supposedly helping Senator Kennedy onto an improved life path.

Maybe he's trying to repeat that magic with Trump.

But when he calls Trump a very good man and criticizes his supposed friend John McCain for not wanting Trump at his funeral ... whatever Hatch is trying to do, he is all kinds of wrong. I used to greatly respect Hatch. No more.

When the DOJ out of the SDNY is calling Trump an unindicted co-conspirator in at least two felonies and he says, "I don't care", we should believe what he says.

He's not trying to improve Trump's life path. He's simply happy with raw power, and **** the country and **** the constitution.

That sums up Hatch's abandonment of reality/principles/however you want to call it.

The rest is details.

Sounds like dementia to me.

The fact that Orrin Hatch has served in the same job from the Gerald Ford Administration thru the Trump Administration is troubling. Hatch came to the Senate in 1976, FFS!

John Dingell recently was quoted as wanting to do away with the Electoral college-don't recall liberals talking about how long that guy was in office-or how long Byrd was. Sounds like partisan hackery to me

The rest is details.
Sounds like dementia to me.

Or an epic case of cognitive dissonance.

When a religious person has sold his soul to the devil, how does he deal with it? Maybe by calling the devil a very good man. Because he can't admit to himself what he has really done.

or Trump haters cannot fathom anyone disagreeing with them?

Really? You think Hatch was speaking accurately when he called Trump "a very good man"?

Or an epic case of cognitive dissonance.

When a religious person has sold his soul to the devil, how does he deal with it? Maybe by calling the devil a very good man. Because he can't admit to himself what he has really done.

I was being more flippant than anything. I don't think many of those who support him would call him a very good man. He is very good at filing for bankruptcy. He is also morally bankrupt.

Really? You think Hatch was speaking accurately when he called Trump "a very good man"?

You'd have to ask Hatch. there are plenty of people on this board who say Obama or Clinton or Chuck Schumer are "very good men" and while I think they are not-I only speak for myself

you all seem to think that your perspective should rule how Hatch thinks. I suspect Hatch knows far far more about Trump than any of us so perhaps his opinion has merit-above what a bunch of left-wingers on a message board think

So you think trump is a good man?

I couldn't care less- I care about his policies as a president. So far so good. I don't think Trump is any better or worse than Clinton or Obama. I think GHWB was a far better man. SO was Gerald Ford.

Back
Top Bottom