• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Orrin Hatch: ‘The Senate as an Institution Is in Crisis’

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Senator Orrin Hatch (R., Utah) offered an ominous warning about the future of the Senate as an institution during his farewell speech on Wednesday.

“The Senate as an institution is in crisis,” Hatch said on the Senate floor. “The committee process lies in shambles. Regular order is a relic of the past. And compromise, once the guiding credo of this great institution, is now synonymous with surrender.”

“Things weren’t always as they are now,” he continued. “I was here when this body was at its best. I was here when the regular order was the norm, when legislation was debated in committee, and when members worked constructively with one another for the good of the country.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...speech-senate-as-an-institution-is-in-crisis/

Also this:

'Good riddance to a spineless dinosaur’: Orrin Hatch gets pummeled on Twitter as he gives farewell speech
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/go...-gets-pummeled-twitter-gives-farewell-speech/

He is right. He is also part of the reason why, and he has not been willing to join the anti-Trump mob, so I predict that his warning will be largely ignored.

Orrin is right and because he is right, we can't be rid of him and his ilk fast enough.

Adios, Orrin.

Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

Orrin Hatch is exactly the reason why we need term limits within the Senate and the House. The ****ing dinosaur couldn't be more detached from the American public.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...speech-senate-as-an-institution-is-in-crisis/

Also this:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/go...-gets-pummeled-twitter-gives-farewell-speech/

He is right. He is also part of the reason why, and he has not been willing to join the anti-Trump mob, so I predict that his warning will be largely ignored.

Of course it will. In today's hyperpartisan stupidity, those who are engaged in this dangerous, destructive stupidity do not want to be told that they are engaging in dangerous, destructive stupidity. So they'll ignore it and continue on their merry way. That's how you create this sort of hyperpartisan cult mentality in the first place; by ignoring the obvious and pretending your side and only your side is right.

I do believe that not only are the hyperpartisan cult idiots dangerous to the Republic, they're down right treasonous. Seeking nothing less than the destruction of the Republic and an establishing their own party oligarchy.

Also this:

This is the clown who admitted just hours ago that he did not care if Trump committed crimes.

He needs to shut his pie hole and just go away.

Of course it will. In today's hyperpartisan stupidity, those who are engaged in this dangerous, destructive stupidity do not want to be told that they are engaging in dangerous, destructive stupidity. So they'll ignore it and continue on their merry way. That's how you create this sort of hyperpartisan cult mentality in the first place; by ignoring the obvious and pretending your side and only your side is right.

I do believe that not only are the hyperpartisan cult idiots dangerous to the Republic, they're down right treasonous. Seeking nothing less than the destruction of the Republic and an establishing their own party oligarchy.

Until BIG PAIN gets here.
It is most certainly coming.
Pain is a great teacher.

Orrin Hatch said he doesn't care if Trump committed crimes. Screw that guy. If he feels the Senate as an institution is in crisis, he can look to himself as one of the causes.

Orrin Hatch said he doesn't care if Trump committed crimes. Screw that guy. If he feels the Senate as an institution is in crisis, he can look to himself as one of the causes.

It matters to America, making it all about him is foolish.

This is the clown who admitted just hours ago that he did not care if Trump committed crimes.

He needs to shut his pie hole and just go away.

And we have a winner!

Look in the mirror Sen. Hatch. It's scum-balls like you that broke the Senate.

In 2017 Hatch sent an e-mail to President Trump and [then] Interior Secretary Zinke about reducing federal land in Bears Ears National Monument, Utah.

You see, his wealthy friends that owned energy and mineral extraction firms had their greedy gaze on federal land that would be ideal for drilling.

And that is exactly what happened. Bears Ears was reduced almost exactly as outlined in the Hatch e-mail.

Also this:

Orrin Hatch is one of the biggest reasons why the senate is corrupt and dysfunctional today. Ironic that he is now lamenting "the good ol' days" he helped destroy.

Until BIG PAIN gets here.
It is most certainly coming.
Pain is a great teacher.

To idiots I suppose.

A person of moderate to lower intelligence burns their hand on a hot stove learns to not put their hand back on the hot stove. A person who is smart watched that guy burn his hand on the hot stove and decides not to put his own hand on the hot stove.

Also this:

Yes, Hatch hit it on the nail. He is correct. The senate was as he described it under different leadership. I remember and long for the days as Hatch put it, "Things weren’t always as they are now,” he continued. “I was here when this body was at its best. I was here when the regular order was the norm, when legislation was debated in committee, and when members worked constructively with one another for the good of the country.”

The senate was exactly that under the leadership of Daschle and Lott, of Mitchell and Dole, of Baker and Byrd.Then came the newer leaders, Reid, McConnell and now Schumer. The causes of the crisis.

Yes, Hatch hit it on the nail. He is correct. The senate was as he described it under different leadership. I remember and long for the days as Hatch put it, "Things weren’t always as they are now,” he continued. “I was here when this body was at its best. I was here when the regular order was the norm, when legislation was debated in committee, and when members worked constructively with one another for the good of the country.”

The senate was exactly that under the leadership of Daschle and Lott, of Mitchell and Dole, of Baker and Byrd.Then came the newer leaders, Reid, McConnell and now Schumer. The causes of the crisis.

I might even trace the sort of malignant brand of hyperpartisanship characterizing politics today to Newt Gingrich in the house during the "Gingrich Revolution" in the 90s. He really set the new standard on the take-no-prisoners, scorched-earth, never compromise, party-over-country brand of partisan politics.

Apprently, even Bush 41 had reservations about this type of no-holds-barred politics Gingrich was introducing. He apparently had a talk with him after the GOP's sweep of the house in '94, saying (I paraphrase):"I am concerned that your Idealism (clearly a euphemism) will get in the way of effective governance."

Last edited:
I might even trace the sort of malignant brand of hyperpartisanship characterizing politics today to Newt Gingrich in the house during the "Gingrich Revolution" in the 90s. He really set the new standard on the take-no-prisoners, scorched-earth, never compromise, party-over-country brand of partisan politics.

Apprently, even Bush 41 had reservations about this type of no-holds-barred politics Gingrich was introducing. He apparently had a talk with him after the GOP's sweep of the house in '94, saying (I paraphrase):"I am concerned that your Idealism (clearly a euphemism) will get in the way of effective governance."

I was talking about the senate. For the House I would go with Dennis Hastert who introduced the Hastert rule. Gingrich was deposed as Speaker as quite a lot of house members thought he wasn't hard enough on President Bill Clinton. I suppose you could say not partisan enough.

Gingrich almost made me leave the GOP in the 90's. W brought me back into the fold, and I stayed for another 15 years. Hatch was one whom I admired. So it is with much sadness and anger that I have watched him turn into such a hypocritical hack.

It is nice to find you and I agreeing.

It is nice to find you and I agreeing.

I've watched over the last 20 years or so Washington becoming hyper partisan. Just when it reaches a point to where I think it can't become more partisan than it is, it does. There use not be this huge ideological divide, there was a time when both major parties had their conservative and liberal wings. When the leaders of both parties would sit down and talk to each other, work things out. When the straight party line vote was rare if it occurred at all.

I'm showing my age, but when I first became interested in politics I saw Eisenhower having LBJ, then the Democratic senate majority leader over to the white house to discuss how to get IKE's agenda through congress. JFK and LBJ pretty much followed IKE's example with then Republican senate minority leader Everit Dirksen. Close working relationship all around. This type of working relationship between parties was there with a few exceptions all the way to Ronald Reagan and then Democratic Speaker Tip O'Neal.

I think where all of this started to fall apart was when Dennis Hastert took over the Speakership and introduced the Hastert rule. Ultra partisanship has snowballed from there.

I've watched over the last 20 years or so Washington becoming hyper partisan. Just when it reaches a point to where I think it can't become more partisan than it is, it does. There use not be this huge ideological divide, there was a time when both major parties had their conservative and liberal wings. When the leaders of both parties would sit down and talk to each other, work things out. When the straight party line vote was rare if it occurred at all.

I'm showing my age, but when I first became interested in politics I saw Eisenhower having LBJ, then the Democratic senate majority leader over to the white house to discuss how to get IKE's agenda through congress. JFK and LBJ pretty much followed IKE's example with then Republican senate minority leader Everit Dirksen. Close working relationship all around. This type of working relationship between parties was there with a few exceptions all the way to Ronald Reagan and then Democratic Speaker Tip O'Neal.

I think where all of this started to fall apart was when Dennis Hastert took over the Speakership and introduced the Hastert rule. Ultra partisanship has snowballed from there.

I go back to I think It was Tip Oneal who I heard say something like "If you dont feel like it is a great idea to go have some drinks and food and a cigar
and some laughs in the evening with these people that you have spent the day fighting with....well then....you should know that you are in trouble".

Something like that.

He got it.

I go back to I think It was Tip Oneal who I heard say something like "If you dont feel like it is a great idea to go have some drinks and food and a cigar
and some laughs in the evening with these people that you have spent the day fighting with....well then....you should know that you are in trouble".

Something like that.

He got it.

Close enough. Tip said something like this about Reagan, "I may disagree with a lot of his policies, but I sure do like the man." The important fact is they weren't enemies. They weren't out to destroy each other. Both were willing to play the game of give and take, to compromise. It was important to both to keep this country moving forward, even if it was by little steps. Neither desired to bring it to a screeching halt.

Neither took politics personal. Neither let politics get under their skin. You can't say that about today's politicians. It seems everything is personal.

Close enough. Tip said something like this about Reagan, "I may disagree with a lot of his policies, but I sure do like the man." The important fact is they weren't enemies. They weren't out to destroy each other. Both were willing to play the game of give and take, to compromise. It was important to both to keep this country moving forward, even if it was by little steps. Neither desired to bring it to a screeching halt.

Neither took politics personal. Neither let politics get under their skin. You can't say that about today's politicians. It seems everything is personal.

C-SPAN, I was long ago a cable news junkie.

Before that I haunted libraries.

This post is esoteric I know, but I know 2 that U Perotista R NOT an average Joe.

I need to have my fun U No.

I used to watch C-Span quite a lot. Hardly never these days. That is unless something important is happening, then I tune in.

Back
Top Bottom