• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Orrin G. Hatch, longest-serving Republican in Senate history, dies at 88

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Orrin G. Hatch, a conservative Utah Republican who came out of political nowhere to win a U.S. Senate seat in 1976 and ended his career 42 years later as the longest-serving Republican in the chamber’s history and one of his party’s most influential lawmakers of recent decades, died April 23 in Salt Lake City. He was 88.

Rest in peace

Rest in peace.

Hatch was strongly opposed to abortion and was the author of the Hatch Amendment to the Constitution, which stated that there is no constitutional right to abortion and empowered the states to restrict abortion as they saw fit.

"I wouldn't want to see homosexuals teaching school anymore than I'd want to see members of the American Nazi Party teaching school."

Hatch was a founder and co-chair of the Federalist Society, an organization of conservative lawyers.

Hatch was strongly opposed to abortion and was the author of the Hatch Amendment to the Constitution, which stated that there is no constitutional right to abortion and empowered the states to restrict abortion as they saw fit.

"I wouldn't want to see homosexuals teaching school anymore than I'd want to see members of the American Nazi Party teaching school."
Cool...whatever blows your hair back....stick with then RIP theme.

Hatch was a founder and co-chair of the Federalist Society, an organization of conservative lawyers.
He was loyal to his Country. While disagreeing with his political beliefs, well start a tread
RIP and my condolences to his family and loved ones

i was researching for something positive to post in this RIP thread
and i seized on the Hatch Act
but that was named after senator carl hatch (NM)
so, nevermind

RIP - wasn't a fan.

R.I.P.

Utah sure traded down when he left.

Orin was a good man.

Level tone.

Principled (as you can be in the D.C. cesspool.

I'm not going to bother skimming his Wikipedia page again.

He tried to alter the constitution to make life rougher on gays.

Can't see anything positive, though.

RIP Senator Orrin Hatch

Cool...whatever blows your hair back....stick with then RIP theme.
I am sure he is looking up thanking everyone for being so cordial while he spent his years advocating to take rights from others.

R.I.P.

Utah sure traded down when he left.

Orin was a good man.

Level tone.

Principled (as you can be in the D.C. cesspool.
Longest "serving" G.O.P. U.S. Senator.
Who did he serve? Certainly not the majority of Utah residents.
He certainly did not represent the ill or the poor.

Sen. Orrin Hatch calls Obamacare supporters 'stupidest ... - CNN​

https://www.cnn.com › 2018/03/02 › politics › orrin-hatc...

Orrin Hatch calls Obamacare supporters 'stupidest, dumbass people' ... House of Representatives in Washington, DC, USA, 28 February 2017.

May 9, 2017,

He is most accurately described as a vigorous advocate of the interests of large corporations.
That description would appropriately serve as his epitaph.

The Legacy of Orrin Hatch​

The Utah Senator made a mark in economic policy and the judiciary.​

By The Editorial Board
April 24, 2022
"Hatch’s worst moment was a 1990 Senate floor speech defending a Justice Department settlement with the Bank of Credit and Commerce International on money-laundering charges. The speech was largely written by Robert Altman, a BCCI lawyer, and the bank got off easy. Hatch later said he regretted the speech..."

"In 1988, the bank was implicated for being the center of a major money laundering scheme. After a six-month trial, BCCI, under immense pressure from U.S. authorities, pleaded guilty in 1990, but only on the grounds of respondeat superior. While federal regulators took no action, Florida regulators forced BCCI to pull out of the state.

In 1990, U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch presented an impassioned defense of the bank in a speech on the Senate floor. He and his aide, Michael Pillsbury, were involved in efforts to counter the negative publicity that surrounded the bank, and Hatch solicited the bank to approve a $10 million loan to a close friend, Monzer Hourani.[25] "

BCCI SCANDAL: BEHIND THE 'BANK OF CROOKS AND ...​

https://www.washingtonpost.com › politics › 1991/07/28

Jul 28, 1991 — BCCI made phony loans, concealed deposits, hid huge losses, and was the bank for a host of shady customers ranging from terrorists and spies to ...

Hatch Gives Details About B.C.C.I. Ties - The New York Times​

https://www.nytimes.com › 1991/11/28 › business › hatch...

Nov 28, 1991 — Senator Orrin G. Hatch today confirmed a report that his defense of ... by Robert Altman, a friend who was serving as a lawyer for B.C.C.I..

Lawmaker's Defense of BCCI Went Beyond Speech in Senate​

https://www.nytimes.com › 1992/08/26 › business › lawm...

Aug 26, 1992 — Senator Orrin G. Hatch, the powerful Republican from Utah who is a member of the Judiciary Committee, worked behind the scenes on behalf of ...

"Back in 2010, Republican Senator Orrin G. Hatch publicly said that he had urged Obama to nominate Garland as "a consensus nominee" who would easily win Senate confirmation. On March 11, 2016, Hatch said that refusal to now consider any Obama nominee to the high court was "the chickens coming home to roost", and he cited historical episodes as well as old quotations from Democratic senators to explain why. .."

Back
Top Bottom