• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

O'Rourke to headline counter-Trump rally at border

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
This is a case where they are both right. Border cities can be enjoyed because law enforcement does its job. The danger of cartel led kidnappings, drug and human trafficking, cartel violence and other violent crime is present on both sides of the border. Trump is right regarding crime control at the border and O'Rourke is right that border cities have lots to offer.

O'Rourke to headline counter-Trump rally at border | TheHill

“Beto O’Rourke will join with his city on Monday evening to show the country the reality of the border -- a vibrant, safe, binational community that proudly celebrates its culture, history, diversity and status as a city of immigrants,” the statement said.

“While some try to stoke fear and paranoia, to spread lies and a false narrative about the U.S.-Mexico border and to demand a 2,000 mile wall along it at a time of record safety and security, El Paso will come together for a march and celebration that highlights the truth,” the statement continues.

This is a case where they are both right. Border cities can be enjoyed because law enforcement does its job. The danger of cartel led kidnappings, drug and human trafficking, cartel violence and other violent crime is present on both sides of the border. Trump is right regarding crime control at the border and O'Rourke is right that border cities have lots to offer.

O'Rourke to headline counter-Trump rally at border | TheHill

It seems to me that most, if not all, of the chaos, violence, and lawlessness at the border is due to the US "war on drugs."

But, maybe that's wrong. What do you think?

It seems to me that most, if not all, of the chaos, violence, and lawlessness at the border is due to the US "war on drugs."

That's what you've been sold and it's simply not true. There is no 'chaos, violence and lawlessness' at the border. That's only what Trump wants you to think. That's a lie that's been refuted and argued against by just about every Governor and Mayor of every city that's along the U.S. and Mexico border. They all say these are flat-out lies by Trump and they are only scare tactics by Trump and Republicans.

What about the drugs MADE IN THE USA and transported to other countries like Australia for example that just had one of the biggest busts of illegal meth in history. And two UNITED STATES citizens were arrested for that crime. There was more than $1.6 BILLION dollars worth of meth in that drug bust.

We should have just as much, if not more, fear of the drugs that are coming from right here in the U.S.

Meth drug bust: Record 1.7 tons of meth found hidden in loudspeakers bound for Australia - CBS News

Last edited:

Human trafficking has lots to do with it as well. With all the "medicine cabinet" drug abuse, I thought the old school drugs were less of a factor.

What do you think of this PSA?

Meth drug bust: Record 1.7 tons of meth found hidden in loudspeakers bound for Australia - CBS News

Record 1.7 tons of meth found hidden in loudspeakers bound for Australia

Updated on: February 8, 2019 / 3:44 PM / CBS/AP

Six people, including two Americans, were arrested after what authorities said Friday was the largest-ever seizure of methamphetamine on U.S. soil and the biggest drug haul bound for Australia.
More than 1.7 tons of methamphetamine, cocaine and heroin were discovered on January 11, concealed within a shipment of loudspeakers on a ship at the Los Angeles/Long Beach Seaport.

The drugs were in two containers that were destined for Australia.The drugs were found concealed inside
d
ozens of metal boxes that were declared as "Single Loud Speakers," CBS Los Angeles reported. The seizure included 3,810 pounds of methamphetamine, 55.9 pounds of cocaine and 11.5 pounds of heroin. Police estimated the street value at $1.29 billion.
Australian authorities said it was also the largest haul of the drug intercepted while bound for Australia and would have provided around 17 million hits of the substance also known as ice.
Police said the raid in the Melbourne suburb of Woodstock in which they were arrested also found "hundreds of thousands of dollars of proceeds of crime."
Police said that three of those arrested would appear in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday, charged with attempting to import illegal drugs. Two other Australians face the same charge

Loudspeakers that contained methamphetamine on Jan. 11, 2019 at the Los Angeles-Long Beach seaport. U.S. Customs and Border Protection/AP

Last edited:
That's what you've been sold and it's simply not true. There is no 'chaos, violence and lawlessness' at the border. That's only what Trump wants you to think. That's a lie that's been refuted and argued against by just about every Governor and Mayor of every city that's along the U.S. and Mexico border. They all say these are flat-out lies by Trump and they are only scare tactics by Trump and Republicans.

There have been over the border kidnappings by cartels. There have been flare-ups when law enforcement falls asleep at the switch. Border cities are also poor because their labor pool has been overrun by cheap labor. Go job hunting in Laredo, Presidio or El Paso and get back to us.

There have been over the border kidnappings by cartels. There have been flare-ups when law enforcement falls asleep at the switch. Border cities are also poor because their labor pool has been overrun by cheap labor. Go job hunting in Laredo, Presidio or El Paso and get back to us.

You don't need to wait very long for me to 'get back to you. Because I HAVE BEEN to El Paso, I HAVE BEEN to Laredo, I HAVE BEEN to San Diego, I HAVE BEEN to Tuscon. I have been through multiple border crossings between the US and Mexico and even spent 3 months in Mexico traveling. You are just making up stuff because I KNOW McAllen, I KNOW El Paso, I KNOW Tuscon and I KNOW San Diego and what you're falsely claiming could not be further from the truth, no way - no how.

You people really should not get into the habit of saying **** that's not true because on a public site like this you are bound to run into people who are able to prove you are lying and 100% wrong.

You don't need to wait very long for me to 'get back to you. Because I HAVE BEEN to El Paso, I HAVE BEEN to Laredo, I HAVE BEEN to San Diego, I HAVE BEEN to Tuscon. I have been through multiple border crossings between the US and Mexico and even spent 3 months in Mexico traveling. You are just making up stuff because I KNOW McAllen, I KNOW El Paso, I KNOW Tuscon and I KNOW San Diego and what you're falsely claiming could not be further from the truth, no way - no how.

You people really should not get into the habit of saying **** that's not true because on a public site like this you are bound to run into people who are able to prove you are lying and 100% wrong.

Such wage rate comparisons are difficult to gauge since the cost of living also varies considerably. To assert that an influx of foreign national folks willing to work for much lower wages and benefits does not affect US wages is dishonest.

Congratulations on getting a six figure salary in El Paso! The only other person I know of that pulled that off uses as Latino-sounding nickname with a last name of O'Rourke.

Still can't figure out what makes the Fake Hispanic so popular.

Congratulations on getting a six figure salary in El Paso! The only other person I know of that pulled that off uses as Latino-sounding nickname with a last name of O'Rourke.

There aren't a whole lot of U.S. cities in which ANYONE can get a six-figure salary.

47bd39b1-e98a-466c-9919-a7a9aad59f43.png

Almost all the drugs coming into the US are not through the border per se, but through legal points of entry. Last week there was a huge fentanyl bust through one of those legal points of entry.

There aren't a whole lot of U.S. cities in which ANYONE can get a six-figure salary.

I live in a city where the median household income exceeds $100,000 per year coupled with a reasonable cost of living. It was a planned and deliberate decision.

On the other hand, El Paso may be a fine place to visit or retire, but not to earn a living.

Last edited:

tRumpesque alternate facts... the numbers don't lie, border towns (who don't have YUGE budgets to hire massive police presence to use your claim of them being poor due to a low tax base) are not the crap holes tRumpers try and portray.... :roll:

Drug kidnappings, murders and crime occur across the Republic. Lawton America, no border town has drug murders and drive bys.

If you have no job skills and little education I can see where you fear immigrant labor (a big reason why the undereducated support tRump). But many factors figure into this. Take Oklahoma, not a border state by any means, and one of the Rabid Right's cherished fly-over states. Our pay sucks hind teat in every category- from teachers to IT. From Law Enforcement to manufacturing. There isn't a massive influx of illegal immigrants into teacher, IT or Police positions...

Nice try though... :peace

O'Rourke is going to have more eyes on him Monday than at anytime in his life. He needs to make the most of it and expose the wall as a divider of the USA from the world and a divider of one American from another. All in the interest of xenophobia and racism pushing an agenda of hate and fear designed to weaken America.

O'Rourke is going to have more eyes on him Monday than at anytime in his life. He needs to make the most of it and expose the wall as a divider of the USA from the world and a divider of one American from another. All in the interest of xenophobia and racism pushing an agenda of hate and fear designed to weaken America.

El Paso has a diverse population...trump will not be welcome...I guess he is counting on angry whites to drive in from from the pan handle

El Paso has a diverse population...trump will not be welcome...I guess he is counting on angry whites to drive in from from the pan handle

Let us hope that Beto outdraws the Trumpkins.

Your "xenophobia" rang the bell.

I have a hunch that "xenophobic" rather than "racist" just might be the driving factor. I'll have to think about that, because "foreigners" can be of any race, religion, ethnic/cultural background, or political philosophy. They don't even have to come from a different country, or belong to a different race, or practice a different religion, or have a different ethnic/cultural background, or belong to a different political alignment - all they have to do is hit one out of four and they are "foreigners" to many.

Kindly provide credible third party support for your statements.

Beto's crowd will be diverse....Young and old...Black white, Latino......Citizens from all over El Paso...trump will have angry middle aged white people only.....Mostly driving in from the rural areas......Cheering for trump's paranoia and intolerance...The Contrast will be glaring

Beto's crowd will be diverse....Young and old...Black white, Latino......Citizens from all over El Paso...trump will have angry middle aged white people only.....Mostly driving in from the rural areas......Cheering for trump's paranoia and intolerance...The Contrast will be glaring

And few.

Back
Top Bottom