• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Orlando Gunman had Used Gay Dating App, Visited Nightclub, Witnesses Say

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
ORLANDO, Fla. — The gunman who attacked a Florida gay nightclub had attended the club before the attack and had used a gay dating and chat app, witnesses said.

Kevin West, a regular at Pulse nightclub, said Omar Mateen messaged him on and off for a year before the shooting using the gay chat and dating app Jack'd.

...As soon as West saw photos released of Mateen after the shooting, he said, he drove to his local police station, where officers summoned FBI officials, who showed him a photo of Mateen on a computer screen. Orlando gunman had used gay dating app, visited nightclub, witnesses say

Isn't it a little odd that Mateen was going to gay bars if he was supposedly a devout Muslim who hated gays?
Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
hard to say if he was scouting it out or he was in the closet. who knows.

ORLANDO, Fla. — The gunman who attacked a Florida gay nightclub had attended the club before the attack and had used a gay dating and chat app, witnesses said.

Kevin West, a regular at Pulse nightclub, said Omar Mateen messaged him on and off for a year before the shooting using the gay chat and dating app Jack'd.

But they never met — until early Sunday morning.

West was dropping off a friend at the club when he noticed Mateen — whom he knew by sight but not by name — crossing the street wearing a dark cap and carrying a black cellphone about 1 a.m., an hour before the shooting.

"He walked directly past me. I said, 'Hey,' and he turned and said, 'Hey,' " and nodded his head, West said. "I could tell by the eyes."

At least four regular customers of Pulse, the nightclub where the massacre took place, told the Orlando Sentinel on Monday that they believed they had seen Mateen there before.

"Sometimes he would go over in the corner and sit and drink by himself, and other times he would get so drunk he was loud and belligerent," said Ty Smith, who also uses the name Aries.

He saw Mateen at the club at least a dozen times, he said.

"We didn't really talk to him a lot, but I remember him saying things about his dad at times," Smith said. "He told us he had a wife and child.

As soon as West saw photos released of Mateen after the shooting, he said, he drove to his local police station, where officers summoned FBI officials, who showed him a photo of Mateen on a computer screen.
"I said, 'That's him,' " West said, and turned over his phone and Jack'd log-in information to the FBI, which still had the phone late Monday, he said.

Also Monday, officials said Mateen appeared to have been radicalized by Islamic extremists on the internet but expressed sympathies with radical groups that violently oppose each other.

On Sunday morning, Mateen told a 911 dispatcher that he was attacking Pulse on behalf of the leader of Islamic State, FBI Director James B. Comey said at a news conference Monday. Mateen, 29, of Fort Pierce, Fla., was killed by a SWAT team and was among the 50 found dead at the site. Fifty-three more were wounded.
---------
Isn't it a little odd that Mateen was going to gay bars if he was supposedly a devout Muslim who hated gays?
Thoughts? Comments?
Orlando gunman had used gay dating app, visited nightclub, witnesses say

Maybe he wasn't that devout. Maybe the self-loathing got the best of him. Maybe he used "I support ISIS" as a cover so his family wouldn't find out what was really tearing him up inside. We don't know.

The whole "getting belligerently drunk" thing doesn't exactly scream "devout Muslim" either. The 9/11 hijackers were supposedly lushes. Radicalization is a weird animal.

hard to say if he was scouting it out or he was in the closet. who knows.

Seems pretty fishy to me. One guy from that club saw him so much on gay sites that he instantly recognized him the night of the shooting.

I've never been to a gay club, most straight guys wouldn't be that interested in going. I think Mateen may have been hiding quite a lot about himself. Good Muslim boy that hangs out at the gay bars.

Seems pretty fishy to me. One guy from that club saw him so much on gay sites that he instantly recognized him the night of the shooting.

I've never been to a gay club, most straight guys wouldn't be that interested in going. I think Mateen may have been hiding quite a lot about himself. Good Muslim boy that hangs out at the gay bars.

Wasn't just one oerson. Several people have come forward saying they recognize him.

Wasn't just one oerson. Several people have come forward saying they recognize him.

Yes, but some of it I'm treating with skepticism. One guy said a friend of his immediately recognized him from a chat that took place through one of these apps almost 10 years ago. I find that hard to believe. These are just rumors for now.

Who knows? Maybe scouting the target. But also some of the most vile homophobes are religious people in denial of their own homosexuality.

Ive been once with a group of people and I'm straight. well twice actually but the second time was to a lesbian bar. had a lot of fun there.

But they never met — until early Sunday morning.

West was dropping off a friend at the club when he noticed Mateen — whom he knew by sight but not by name — crossing the street wearing a dark cap and carrying a black cellphone about 1 a.m., an hour before the shooting.

"He walked directly past me. I said, 'Hey,' and he turned and said, 'Hey,' " and nodded his head, West said. "I could tell by the eyes."

At least four regular customers of Pulse, the nightclub where the massacre took place, told the Orlando Sentinel on Monday that they believed they had seen Mateen there before.

"Sometimes he would go over in the corner and sit and drink by himself, and other times he would get so drunk he was loud and belligerent," said Ty Smith, who also uses the name Aries.

He saw Mateen at the club at least a dozen times, he said.

"We didn't really talk to him a lot, but I remember him saying things about his dad at times," Smith said. "He told us he had a wife and child.

As soon as West saw photos released of Mateen after the shooting, he said, he drove to his local police station, where officers summoned FBI officials, who showed him a photo of Mateen on a computer screen.
"I said, 'That's him,' " West said, and turned over his phone and Jack'd log-in information to the FBI, which still had the phone late Monday, he said.

Also Monday, officials said Mateen appeared to have been radicalized by Islamic extremists on the internet but expressed sympathies with radical groups that violently oppose each other.

On Sunday morning, Mateen told a 911 dispatcher that he was attacking Pulse on behalf of the leader of Islamic State, FBI Director James B. Comey said at a news conference Monday. Mateen, 29, of Fort Pierce, Fla., was killed by a SWAT team and was among the 50 found dead at the site. Fifty-three more were wounded.
---------
Thoughts? Comments?
Orlando gunman had used gay dating app, visited nightclub, witnesses say

Some of the 9/11 hijackers went to strip clubs.

Not that suprising considering the history of these individuals.

The guy had smarts to look over the killzone? Considering that he killed 50 while holding territory for 3 HOURS AND HIS OWN??!! I think we can assume that he did.

I imagine he was gay and I imagine he did in fact hate himself for that fact. What I don't understand though is why he would torture himself by going to a gay bar. Clearly it caused him distress and clearly it wasn't working in getting him to accept his own nature. If anything it was making him respond violently to his emotions and doing very little to nothing to help resolve them.

Ive been once with a group of people and I'm straight. well twice actually but the second time was to a lesbian bar. had a lot of fun there.

There are a lot of straight women who go, so I could see a straight guy going for that reason. But gay date sites? Mateen was doing extra credit homework with that one.

Well it would make him the second gay ISIS terrorist, the Belgian who orchestrated the Paris attacks was also known to frequent gay bars.

Not surprising at all. Makes a lot of sense, actually.

Not surprising at all. Makes a lot of sense, actually.

To me too, and what irony...because I think this monstrous attack is going to unite Americans, period.

Too lazy to relink, but I read an article today at the Daily Mail in which Pulse patrons recalled how often Mateen had come to club and that he talked about his wife and little boy and father. Today the father said that he wouldn't "miss anything" about his son. There is part the story right there. Orlando shooter’s father: I won’t miss anything about my son | New York Post

There are a lot of straight women who go, so I could see a straight guy going for that reason. But gay date sites? Mateen was doing extra credit homework with that one.
:lamo

To me too, and what irony...because I think this monstrous attack is going to unite Americans, period.

Too lazy to relink, but I read an article today at the Daily Mail in which Pulse patrons recalled how often Mateen had come to club and that he talked about his wife and little boy and father. Today the father said that he wouldn't "miss anything" about his son. There is part the story right there. Orlando shooter’s father: I won’t miss anything about my son | New York Post

I saw the father being interviewed by Don Lemon on CNN. BTW. Props to Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper trying to do their jobs during all of this which hits their community close to home.

Anyway back to the father. He sounds like a pretty traditional Muslim guy perhaps a tad bit Americanized by the way he was dressed and acted. Traditional in the sense that Yes he is very religious, but that he raised his son, payed for his college, and sent him off to school. Helped him find a job and that was that. I don't think he ever expected anything like this to happen but then again, it didn't seem like he had his eyes glued to his adult son's life.

Though the father should stop talking about gay people and sins and just talk about his own son and his sin! His son was obviously a deranged and unstable individual. The history of the wife raises questions as does the fact that he was in a gay nightclub in the first place. I think it's a picture perfect case of a closeted gay man who couldn't deal with this part of his life. On top of the fact that he probably would have to listen to his father attack his sexuality at times. It's enough to make anyone crazy and snap.

I saw the father being interviewed by Don Lemon on CNN. BTW. Props to Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper trying to do their jobs during all of this which hits their community close to home.

Anyway back to the father. He sounds like a pretty traditional Muslim guy perhaps a tad bit Americanized by the way he was dressed and acted. Traditional in the sense that Yes he is very religious, but that he raised his son, payed for his college, and sent him off to school. Helped him find a job and that was that. I don't think he ever expected anything like this to happen but then again, it didn't seem like he had his eyes glued to his adult son's life.

Though the father should stop talking about gay people and sins and just talk about his own son and his sin! His son was obviously a deranged and unstable individual. The history of the wife raises questions as does the fact that he was in a gay nightclub in the first place. I think it's a picture perfect case of a closeted gay man who couldn't deal with this part of his life. On top of the fact that he probably would have to listen to his father attack his sexuality at times. It's enough to make anyone crazy and snap.

Ya Ya, but why did pops know nothing about what his kid was...or if he did know something why is he lying to us now.

I sure get the sense that he ain't too shocked.

I will wait for the report.

Ya Ya, but why did pops know nothing about what his kid was...or if he did know something why is he lying to us now.

I sure get the sense that he ain't too shocked.

I will wait for the report.

Because pops was on his nutty public access show proclaiming himself to be President of Afghanistan. He probably isn't real hip to a lot of stuff that's going on.

Because pops was on his nutty public access show proclaiming himself to be President of Afghanistan. He probably isn't real hip to a lot of stuff that's going on.

IDK...... when I see Israel, which I remind you is supposed to be our expert on these matters, bulldozing Palestinians homes because one person in the family is a criminal I kind of get the idea that family is important to the Islamists. Then I see the super low sexual assault rates across most islamic zones and so then this seems confirmed. I also hear that Iraqi men almost to a man openly weep to Lionel Richie, so I wonder (OK, this last bit is an exaggeration).

Ya see my point? If we were talking about white trailer trash I might believe it on assumption that pops is clueless, but here I am waiting before I make up my mind.

OK? Channeling Don

Last edited:
IDK...... when I see Israel, which I remind you is supposed to be our expert on these matters, bulldozing Palestinians homes because one person in the family is a criminal I kind of get the idea that family is important to the Islamists. Then I see the super low sexual assault rates across most islamic zones and so then this seems confirmed. I also hear that Iraqi men almost to a man openly weep to Lionel Richie, so I wonder (OK, this last bit is an exaggeration).

Ya see my point? If we were talking about white trailer trash I might believe it on assumption that pops is clueless, but here I am waiting before I make up my mind.

OK? Channeling Don

Lol, isn't Lionel Richie huge in Iraq? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere. It just sounds like it should be a thing.

THUD.

I was trying to show off that I know that.

Sounds like its 1984 in Iraq.
I bet Webster is haauuuge. Remember Webster?

CKA6I9V.gif

It's a somewhat interesting twist but the bottom line is - he was nuts.

If you murder 49 innocent people - you ARE nuts.

Was he a closet homosexual, scouting for victims, trying to understand them...who knows.

The bottom line is a madman had easy, legal access to massive amounts of firepower and used it to murder at least 49 people.

Focusing on the 'why' means far less to me then on the 'how'.

Back
Top Bottom