• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Organize A Protest

Protest

• Yes

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

ban.the.electoral.college

Progressive, Green
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
We blow enough hot air here to melt the ice caps 100x's over. But, what does all this talk mean if that's all we do? Does anyone have a novel idea for an official "debate politics" public protest? Or is everyone simply content just banging thier poor defenseless keyboards to death?

1) You didn't post a poll, it's wrong to post a thread in "Polls" without a "Poll" (This will be fixed shortly)

2) Not everybody here agrees with each-other. In-fact, some of these people I would rather not have to talk to outside of debate politics.

3) How can you punch a keyboard to death? It's not actually alive, I must not have gotten the memo!

We could always protest stupid threads...

Arch Enemy said:
1) You didn't post a poll, it's wrong to post a thread in "Polls" without a "Poll" (This will be fixed shortly)

2) Not everybody here agrees with each-other. In-fact, some of these people I would rather not have to talk to outside of debate politics.

3) How can you punch a keyboard to death? It's not actually alive, I must not have gotten the memo!

Somewhere, there is always a moron who thinks they are the quintessential of clever by pointing out the obvious.

1) Sorry, I tried to post a "poll" but there was no GUI/dialog to help set it up. This is the first time I've tried to do it. Care to enlighten?

2) No ****, sherlock.

3) Ever heard of metaphor, simile, or personification? It called lit 101. Let me guess, you take the bible literally.

Last edited:
cnredd said:
We could always protest stupid threads...

And to you, poo. That's exactly the type of idiocy, people expect to read from you. Sorry to burst your bubble. But, then again... I'm sure you're too arrogant to see it.

ban.the.electoral.college said:
Sorry, I tried to post a "poll" but there was no GUI/dialog to help set it up. This is the first time I've tried to do it. Care to enlighten?

Under the Post new area is "additional options" - in there is a checkbox about making the post a poll.

Contrary to cnredd, I think this is a valid poll. There are just as many people here agreeing as disagreeing.

If something were a cause I am interested in, then yes - I would protest.

Is the person behind your keyboard willing to go the step to get the job done as well?

My god protesting in America seems the best deal in the world, its actually the most free country in the world but people here feel they shouldnt protest
example -Cindy Sheehan the fuss that everyone has made (even on this forum) about the ins and outs of it is very laughalbe

I was in Gleneagles and Edinburgh for the G8 to protest

Americans should organisea huge protest, i mean why not, in front of the White House, and this is a free country...

ban.the.electoral.college said:
Somewhere, there is always a moron who thinks they are the quintessential of clever by pointing out the obvious.

1) Sorry, I tried to post a "poll" but there was no GUI/dialog to help set it up. This is the first time I've tried to do it. Care to enlighten?

2) No ****, sherlock.

3) Ever heard of metaphor, simile, or personification? It called lit 101. Let me guess, you take the bible literally.

1) Then you should have told us about it! At least say "someone help me I need to figure this poll thing out". If you feel embarrassed (for whatever reason) to ask for help via the forums, then just PM any of the Moderators, we'd be glad to help!

2) You still didn't explain how DEBATE POLITICS can get a protest going if we all don't always agree on something? I don't think that protesting against "The world is flat" idea works anymore.

3) Haha, funny you should ask. I'm a Christian and I take the New Testament as history mixed with Catholic Bullshit, while the Old Testament is nothing more than metaphor after metaphor. You insults seem to lack any humor at all, at least try for some humor it'll make you look better.

We could protest Rational Ignorance.

I'm most folks here could get behind the idea that more Americans need to pay even more attention to what is going on around them.

Simon W. Moon said:

I'm most folks here could get behind the idea that more Americans need to pay even more attention to what is going on around them.

Agreed.

Now go get the banner, and we'll march in rows of 5.

vauge said:
Under the Post new area is "additional options" - in there is a checkbox about making the post a poll.

Contrary to cnredd, I think this is a valid poll. There are just as many people here agreeing as disagreeing.

Is the person behind your keyboard willing to go the step to get the job done as well?

In answer to your query, yes. The reason I posted this thread was to establish a dialogue to:

a) democratically choose a topic that we can all (or most of us) rally behind.

b) make a plan as to how we should approach the protest.

c) motivate members to join and participate in the protest.

Since browsing the forums, I have noticed that most people are:

1) disappointed with the media.

2) concerned about the current state of corporatism omnipotence.

The media 10 years ago was owned by approximately 50 multi-national corporations. Today it's down to about 8. The result? Well, the result is that the so called "news" stations have fired most of their journalists and replaced them with a few specialized pundits. This was done to gain a competitive edge in the market place. Rupert Murdoch boosted profits by an additional $300 million. CNN fired it's CEO (who resisted) and followed the leader. The ultimate result is that mainstream corporate news outlets are not delivering proper critical journalism. So, the citizens who rely on mainstream news are being depoliticized. Now, we have an already apathetic public being (mostly unknowingly) led further out of the picture.

The problem is that the less the citizens know, the easier it for corporations to pass legislation that allows them to operate tax free, and unfettered. Meanwhile the rich get richer while citizens both compete and work harder, and longer hours for less money. And yet, we carry the tax weight which in turn is often lent right back to large businesses. One in five american households have a net worth of $0.00 or less. All this goes on while we are inundated by advertisement campiagns, asking us to buy more and more stuff, while corporations spend hundreds of millions of dollars on PR campaigns to promote their larger than life positive image.

In effect, we are allowing a war motivated by corporate profit to go on largely unchallenged for fear of being called anti-american, or liberal crack-pots. I don't think dissenters should be allowed that power. Our nation was founded on people who were called the same thing by the status-quo. Recently, I read a sig, that say's "evil is done when good people do nothing". Well, I think there are a lot of good people here on the site (all personal, religious, political affiliations and squabbles aside). So, that's why I felt this poll should be posted.

Rational Ignorance is noted. That is a VERY good, point. I think it's safe to say that your notion is compounded by the current state of mainstream media

Last edited:
Originally posted by Vauge:

Vauge, sometimes I don't see where you get the wherewithall to put up with all of us. My hats off to you and ban.the.electoral.college. You both have got my respect. And Simon too. With every post, you guys show me the difference between wisdom and intelligence.

I'm for this protest and can't wait to take the next step. I would like to see if there is something in this world we could all agree on and make a unified statement about.

I'm for this protest and can't wait to take the next step. I would like to see if there is something in this world we could all agree on and make a unified statement about.

Its about time you guys actually did something about your comments. I will see how far this protest goes. I am all for protesting, but I have a feeling that we have heard it already. But hey, I like hearing my favorite songs more than once too.

Good luck guys.

PS. I am all for protest if its about overthrowing the electoral college.

Simon W. Moon said:

I'm up for that one!!!!!

I don't think a media protest would work, granted no-one seems to like the media much, but half of the posters think it's liberal while the other half believe it serves the elite interests of the corporate oligarchy that owns it. Sounds like fisticuffs to me, and as to your other idea of an anti-globalisation protest, well they tend to get pretty nasty anyway. Besides, unless you're all gonna fly to England for it, I doubt this involves me in any way other than ideas;

How about an anti-war protest, not an Iraq war protest, but just a general protest that war is inevitably a pretty bad thing. You could have WWII vets talking about the need for war as well though, and Vietnam vets talking about it's futility, and I think there is still a WWI vet or two in England, they could talk about the harsh realities of war. And I could recite "Dulce et Decorum est" over a live sattelite feed;

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped5 Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Wilfred Owen

I think that would be a good idea, we could get Murdoch to organise the sattelite link-up, and if(when) that doesn't work, I'll ask the BBC, although I imagine my role would quickly be usurped by Stephen Fry, or god forbid Bono or Bob f**king Geldof.

Back
Top Bottom