• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Organ of Putin Propaganda: Turkey Might Leave NATO

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan envisioned himself the Sultan of a new Ottoman Empire, but now faces the bleak reality that he is the annoying little brother of the US and Europe who will never get his way.
The move by US and European officials to push Turkey aside may soon result in fracturing the alliance and, at minimum, looks to undermine the effectiveness of the organization’s efforts in Syria and abroad.

NATO?s Collapse: Turkey May Exit Over Refugee Blockade, Arming of Kurds

I would expect Erdogan to threaten to do this, but then again most of his moves recently have been bad moves.I have seen some experts pondering whether Turkey is the next failed state. Yikes, that would really suck.

Last edited:
I would expect Erdogan to threaten to do this, but then again most of his moves recently have been bad moves.I have seen some experts pondering whether Turkey is the next failed state. Yikes, that would really suck.

Hm. Interesting. But fortunately, we and most of Europe have rational actors for leaders. Let the slow, ugly process of diplomacy run its course, and then decide whether the sky is actually falling.

Hm. Interesting. But fortunately, we and most of Europe have rational actors for leaders. Let the slow, ugly process of diplomacy run its course, and then decide whether the sky is actually falling.

Erdogan has impressed you as a diplomat?

Cant say that I agree.

Erdogan has impressed you as a diplomat?

Cant say that I agree.

Where did I say he was a diplomat? I said that we and most of Europe are led by rational actors, and that diplomacy would run its course. I never said Erdogan was a diplomat.

Look at Iran - would you say that their prime minister was a diplomat? Maybe you would, but I'm guessing you wouldn't. BUT just a couple days ago, the word came out that Iran was buying $25B worth of airliners from Boeing...which means thousands more American jobs, too...

...and I don't think any of us are so naive to think that wasn't part of the negotiations that weren't made public beforehand.

The point is, diplomacy is diplomacy, even if none of the participants are actual diplomats.

Where did I say he was a diplomat? I said that we and most of Europe are led by rational actors, and that diplomacy would run its course. I never said Erdogan was a diplomat.

Look at Iran - would you say that their prime minister was a diplomat? Maybe you would, but I'm guessing you wouldn't. BUT just a couple days ago, the word came out that Iran was buying $25B worth of airliners from Boeing...which means thousands more American jobs, too...

...and I don't think any of us are so naive to think that wasn't part of the negotiations that weren't made public beforehand.

The point is, diplomacy is diplomacy, even if none of the participants are actual diplomats.

Diplomacy does not work if the actors dont have skill in diplomacy, and especially of they dont view themselves as diplomats, so you are asking for us to believe in the unlikely.

Iran is a bad example you know, they expect to be the sole regional superpower, and they know very well that skill at diplomacy is required to get there and to be successful once they are there, and have been upping their game.

At least turkey can't drag the US into WW3

Back
Top Bottom