• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

O'Reilly: al-Qaida, please blow up Coit Tower

Inuyasha said:
With regrad to paragraph one. Not everyone needs to serve, TODAY. But again i remind you that my era was different. The conflict was larger and more important EVERYONE was more or less expected to serve (the draft was in effect). Those who purposly avoided it with dozens of deferments are not respected. That's just the way the mindset was and still is. Today you have an "all volunteer" military. I am i making it clear why there is a difference of thought and opinion between you generation and mine. That's something that is only going to change when my generation have all died.

In paragraph two, what this has to do with thesilly /and you are right on thr mark) statement O'Reilly made is that you ask "What's to condemn?" and I answered "The hypocracy." It well could have been any other silly statment that was hypocritial. Not JUST this one. I am condemning his hypocracy THROUGH his statment. "Hypocracy" is the key word. You'll find that many of my generation feel this way. It doesn't help to try yo compare it to these times any more than we can compare the war in SE Asia to the one in Iraq. It's apples and oranges. Do you see what i mean?

Yeah. I'm aware of your generation. Most active duty in my generation have no respect for the draft dodger. Especially the "Jane Fonda" attitude that was rampant. This is why the vast majority of us did not want to see Kerry in the White House. I was only addressing the rediculous attention the left is parading around regarding his statement. Was O'Reilly a draft dodger or one of the many that dodged the draft "legally?"

"Legally" but to me "immorally". After a half a dozen deferments then running off to England he certainly covered his @ss but to me that point is moot. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to take away his right to speak about the military in general.. hell he pays taxes too. But on certain points he would all do us a favor by keeping quiet. When it comes to enlisment, recuriting and the service of others etc he's got no candle in this parade.

The Big concern is how the military have been recruiting in schools, not so much their recruiting. I have a friend that lives near an army base, and very close friend that serves from that base. So I am pretty familiar with some of the goings on in around there.

The Friend that lives near the base is a member of his towns school board. One day during some school board meeting, or PTA meeting, two army recuriters showed up, unannounced and set up a recruitment area for the students there. This irked my friend (who himself was a vietnam vet). When he asked them to leave he was threatened with arrest.

See according the the no child left behind act (I believe), in order to get federal money, schools must let recruiters in. Of course, the feds don't tell the schools that beforehand (shady behavior), and another provision makes it an offense to "prevent" a recruiter for recruiting. This could even be simply talking to the student while the recuriter is talking to them.

Also, if you will "anti-recruiter" groups would have to get pre-approval to set up inside schools.

With all the pressure on recruiters lately, many recruiters have been fairly agressive also, and I don't really blame the recruiters for that.

So, it's these things, not just the anti-war and anti-militarism that play a role in the SF decisions.

I'm sure most schools would welcome the military recruiters on job-fair days, and the like. When it's one option of many on an appropriate day, not the only option ebcause they forced their way in.

GySgt said:
Yeah. I'm aware of your generation. Most active duty in my generation have no respect for the draft dodger. Especially the "Jane Fonda" attitude that was rampant. This is why the vast majority of us did not want to see Kerry in the White House. I was only addressing the rediculous attention the left is parading around regarding his statement. Was O'Reilly a draft dodger or one of the many that dodged the draft "legally?"

for clarity, how did you feel about Cheney being VP then, he had...seven deferments was it? (oh and didn't even fulfill some of the deferemnt requirements)

libertarian_knight said:
for clarity, how did you feel about Cheney being VP then, he had...seven deferments was it? (oh and didn't even fulfill some of the deferemnt requirements)

He's not the President. I don't have a thought towards it one way or the other.

If Clinton was a better Commander-in-Chief then his lack of military duty would have not mattered. As it was, he carried out his duties as one would expect from someone that had no deep sense of loyalty to the little guys that do the work. One does not have to serve to be President, though it helps, especially if that individual has to send the little guys off to combat. "Hypocricy" is the first branch the opposition will lunge at to hurt the Office. Maybe that is what made Clinton screw us over in Somalia when he made us tuck tail and run.

Presidents who never served in the military:

John Adams
Thomas Jefferson
John Quincy Adams
Martin Van Buren
Grover Cleveland
William Taft
Woodrow Wilson
Warren Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover
Franklin Roosevelt
Bill Clinton

Presidents who served but never saw action:
James Madison
James Polk
Millard Fillmore
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan - kept out of combat due to bad eyesight
George W. Bush

So now according to those you talk to on the left being in the military or serving in combat are prerequsites now for leading your country, being on t.v., or supporting the war effort? Well then fair enough I'll stop claiming support for the war if they quit protesting it.

Notice the two presidents who led us during the two most important wars in history were never in the military let alone see any action.

Comparing O'Reilly to the men on that list is an insult to them and it is like comparing apples to horsesh¡t. Sorry but that doesn't make it at all. They never spoke like O'Reilly has spoken on radio or TV. They were men of honor with class not sensationalists looking for ratings.. No one ever said you had to be a military veteran to serve as president. O'Reilly was out of line and there is not doubt about it.

Inuyasha said:
Comparing O'Reilly to the men on that list is an insult to them and it is like comparing apples to horsesh¡t. Sorry but that doesn't make it at all. They never spoke like O'Reilly has spoken on radio or TV. They were men of honor with class not sensationalists looking for ratings.. No one ever said you had to be a military veteran to serve as president. O'Reilly was out of line and there is not doubt about it.

He was actually just making a point to the individuals that are parading around that Bush didn't "really" serve and therefore is a hypocrit.

Inuyasha said:

Ya I was commenting on the acqusations that Cheney wasn't fit to serve as V.P. because he recieved deferments. I wasn't comparing O'Reilly to them I should have been more clear and in retrospect it is off topic.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Ya I was commenting on the acqusations that Cheney wasn't fit to serve as V.P. because he recieved deferments. I wasn't comparing O'Reilly to them I should have been more clear and in retrospect it is off topic.

Actually, without extra clarity, I understood just fine. It helps to follow the thread.

Yes I am not stupid Sgt. i made a point i wanted to make in refernece to O'Reilly (that's the mainstream of the thread.). If you think it drifted then i suggest you take a look at how we all (you included) drift to points we wish to make. If you want to be condesending try using a little more tact and irony. It works better that way.

Inuyasha said:
Yes I am not stupid Sgt. i made a point i wanted to make in refernece to O'Reilly (that's the mainstream of the thread.). If you think it drifted then i suggest you take a look at how we all (you included) drift to points we wish to make. If you want to be condesending try using a little more tact and irony. It works better that way.

Dude, every thread has drift in it. I didn't say anything counter to this, nor did I call attention to how it drifted. I am not a moderator. If you recall, I'm the one that thought (thinks) this thread is stupid. Don't be so defensive. It's only an Internet site.

Back
Top Bottom