• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oregon's Swastika Mountain may have a new name soon

madman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Im gonna guess right now that someone on this very site will have an issue with the renaming. Something, something "wokeness."

swastika-mnt_custom-ec8289ee77bf30fc8c7558bfa44ddf18ccbfd3fb-s1100-c50.jpg

Mount Swastika is located in a remote part of the Umpqua National Forest outside Eugene, Ore. Named after a local cattle ranch in the early 1900s, the mountain is not well-known in the state, until recently. The mountain will likely be renamed Mount Halo, after a local tribal leader.
U.S. Geological Survey

Swastika Mountain, in Oregon's Umpqua National Forest, is in the process of being renamed after bearing the moniker for over a century. Due to its remote location, the mountain and its name have largely gone unnoticed until now.

Joyce McClain first heard of Swastika Mountain after reading about two hikers who were rescued from the peak in January. The 81-year-old couldn't believe that a mountain could still bear that name in 2022.

So, she decided to do something about it.

"People need to come forward and take action when they see something that isn't right or needs to be changed, because one person can make a difference, and this shows how that is so true," McClain told NPR.

I love the Swastika. It is an ancient symbol of my Hindu Vedic ancestors !

That Hitler co-opted it shouldn't make it his.

1661786289417.png

Named before 1918, so no need to rename.

That is a no-brainer.

Of course, it should be renamed.

Why - Because it's offensive to Jews ? To hell with that.
The Swastika is an ancient symbol used by dozens of cultures that have been around over 1000 years.
Just because Hitler co-opted the symbol doesn't give him ownership of it.
It's used by Buddhists, Hindus, early Danes, and other groups.
If the Jews are offended, I don't care.
I'm more offended at their pathetic, racist zionism and murder of Palestinians.

1661787962188.png
The Snoldelev Stone, 9th Century - Denmark

Named before 1918, so no need to rename.
Are saying that if something has a hateful or slur name but was named before it was recognized to be hateful then it's okay? Would you be cool with the name N===er Mountain if it was named in the 1850s?

You're right but it is still widely regarded as a symbol of hate--and rightly so.
Not rightly so. It is NOT a symbol of hate in most cultures. It is a primal symbol and by banning it, it is offensive to the countless cultures who've used it for thousands of years.

Not rightly so. It is NOT a symbol of hate in most cultures. It is a primal symbol and by banning it, it is offensive to the countless cultures who've used it for thousands of years.
Not denying any of that. Still the Nazi bastards are intimately associated with the swastika.

Not denying any of that. Still the Nazi bastards are intimately associated with the swastika.
Well, the beard is associated with j!ihadis. Why don't we ban that look ?
The star of David is associated with zionism which has murdered thousands of Palestinians over the course of several decades - why isn't that banned ?
The double standard is insane. It seems any symbol or look used by a group that does evil is permitted except in the case of White people.

contrarian is gonna contrary.

typical of the kons

The star of David is associated with zionism which has murdered thousands of Palestinians over the course of several decades - why isn't that banned ?
The double standard is insane. It seems any symbol or look used by a group that does evil is permitted except in the case of White people.
The mountain is in an area where the name "swastika" is offensive to a majority of people. Do you agree or disagree?

Well it is an example of 'wokeness' Consider:
The word swastika has been used in the Indian subcontinent since 500 BCE. The word was first recorded by the ancient linguist Pāṇini in his work Ashtadhyayi.[27] It is alternatively spelled in contemporary texts as svastika,[28] and other spellings were occasionally used in the 19th and early 20th century, such as suastika.[29] It was derived from the Sanskrit term (Devanagari स्वस्तिक), which transliterates to svastika under the commonly used IAST transliteration system, but is pronounced closer to swastika when letters are used with their English values.
But, considering the people who can only relate to things in their time, eschewing history, I can see changing the name to save them angst. Not that I would have a vote, I favor the renaming to Mount Halo except not to offend the woke taking it as a religious symbol I would use the full name of Halito.

We should just start randomly assigning geographic locations randomized alphanumeric identifiers. It will make for great back to school first projects. Nothing screams a fun summer like the week you spent at AZ24D576JCXL. The view was majestic.

The name needs to be changed because in general we are a society built on reactions using the least amount of information possible. Instead of using this as an opportunity to explain the locations history, how it got its current name, the history of the swastika prior to it being corrupte, and in general make people more educate. It is easier to score maximum political points by keeping people less educated about theor history and change the name. If you’re lucky you may even get a nice photo to hang on a office wall looking smug holding a gold shovel.

Are saying that if something has a hateful or slur name but was named before it was recognized to be hateful then it's okay? Would you be cool with the name N===er Mountain if it was named in the 1850s?
The N word has always been a slur. It was used by slave owners to degrade their slaves.

The Swastika has been a symbol of peace and luck long before the US existed, long before black industrialized slavery and long before even the Roman Empire existed.

My point is, that this name was placed on this mountain long before the Swastika symbol was degraded by Adolf and his goons so its name is not linked to that dark past.

It is the same for Nordic runes, often used by the SS and others. Should we remove this ancient runes now because of it? Of course not.

Now saying that, had the mountain been named in the 1930s then it is another thing.. just like most confederate statues were put up after the defeat of confederates and many of them decades later.

Now does it matter if they rename it? I dont care, just dont use the reason that the word is linked to Hitler and his goons, as it is clearly not.

I hope that every nazi moves to mount swastika to defend its name. Then we can cut off internet access to it permanently.

Reactions: AJG
Thank you for your comment.

1. I believe that the Israeli people just want to live in a tiny little area that is mostly or even 100% Jewish. I do not consider that "racist."

2. The Israelis are forced to shoot at Palestinians if attacked. Self-defense is considered the right of every nation.

I think the choice is stark: Would most people prefer to live in Israel or in an Arab nation?

The answer, I feel, is obvious.

Now does it matter if they rename it? I dont care, just dont use the reason that the word is linked to Hitler and his goons, as it is clearly not.
Are you saying that the name is not linked to Hilter? Or are you saying the call for a name change is not because the name is linked to Hitler but for some other reason?

The Swastika is an ancient symbol used by dozens of cultures that have been around over 1000 years.

View attachment 67409389
It has history, that's why

Beards are not associated with terrorism. The swastika is associated with Nazism.
There has never been a Palestinian:
1. People,
2. Nation,
3. Language,
4. Culture,
5. Religion, or
6. Economy.
And what is wrong with Zionism, anyway?
The double standard is insane.
There is no double-standard.
It seems any symbol or look used by a group that does evil is permitted except in the case of White people.
Really? You've never heard of the Confederate Flag?

Verboten!

Thank you for your comment.

1. I believe that the Israeli people just want to live in a tiny little area that is mostly or even 100% Jewish. I do not consider that "racist."

2. The Israelis are forced to shoot at Palestinians if attacked. Self-defense is considered the right of every nation.

I think the choice is stark: Would most people prefer to live in Israel or in an Arab nation?

The answer, I feel, is obvious.
Jews have a right to live in Israel - but not at the expense of putting Palestinians in literal refugee camps and then on occasion bombing their homes and murdering them to test their weapons.

Jews have a right to live in Israel - but not at the expense of putting Palestinians in literal refugee camps...
It's not the "Palestinians" (Arabs, really). They could leave at any time and go live in other Arab countries. I hear they've got Arab countries all over the place in the Middle East.
...and then on occasion bombing their homes and murdering them to test their weapons.
Israel only reciprocates. And often they don't even do that much.

The Arabs infesting Israel are the aggressors.

View attachment 67409389
Sadly, Hitler owns the symbol, despite its interesting background. You’ll have to live with that, though a century or more may change things. I imagine that most Jews would let you have the swastika if you would bring back the 6 million dead.

Back
Top Bottom