• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oregon voters are angry and worried

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Oregonians, you are an unhappy bunch.

You think the state is heading in the wrong direction.

"Is Oregon heading in the right direction or wrong direction ?"

18% right
73% wrong

You’re worried about housing costs, homelessness, crime, wildfires and droughts.

You’re mad at the president, at the governor, at elected officials in general.

The candidates for governor feel your pain and in many cases, are echoing it right back at you – even if those frustrations you’re feeling are not always based in data.

If Republicans lead by 18 for Governor in frigging Oregon, you know that November will be a bloodbath for Democrats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oregon voted for Biden, Hillary and 2x Obama by margins of over 15 points and while gubernatorial election results there were closer in the past (Democratic winning margins of 2 to 10 points), a Republican lead of 18 points is unheard of.

Oregon actually had Republican governors before, but that was in the 1970s and 1980s.

The poll might point to a realignment of Oregon politics in November, but the poll could also be an outlier.

Oregon brings this shit on themselves.

Here's a fun read about basically the entire state outside of Portland.

Realignment ?

Seriously doubtful given the high degree of wokeness in Portland.

They can be pissed. Their candidate created a bunch of expectations he had no way of fullfilling (and, of course turned out to be a moron with a bigger moron standing behind him).

As long as you tell people you will do for them what they should be doing for themselves......you'll disappoint.

Realignment ?

They can be pissed. Their candidate created a bunch of expectations he had no way of fullfilling (and, of course turned out to be a moron with a bigger moron standing behind him).

As long as you tell people you will do for them what they should be doing for themselves......you'll disappoint.
So you think Portland is the whole state?

Damn, I see what you mean. 18 bucks a month and they would rather not have ANY cops at night? Some kind of idiocy.

The vast majority of the state is rural farmland, sheep, cattle, and hay. The entire eastern half of the state is desert. So you're not talking about high wage earners. Along the coast, it's all small seaside towns with active fishing ports, mom and pop shops and motels. The state is covered with national forests state parks, camping and jeep trails, hiking trails, hundreds of water falls.

The place is wild. We've got huge elk herds, antelope, bear, cougar, bobcat, and deer, Salmon steelhead, sturgeon, trout and Dungeness crab, clams and oysters. The state is beautiful.

Then you've got Portland and Eugene - two run down cities with passed out addicts laying on the sidewalk downtown and camper-poopers everywhere. derelict RV's, mentally ill naked people, it's insane.

Guess who runs Portland and Eugene? Democrats.

That's crazy. I don't know much about local Oregon politics, or the financial situation of individuals in Josephine County, but to not pay the assessment for something as basic as an increase in law enforcement services seems really off.

The vast majority of the state is rural farmland, sheep, cattle, and hay. The entire eastern half of the state is desert. So you're not talking about high wage earners. Along the coast, it's all small seaside towns with active fishing ports, mom and pop shops and motels. The state is covered with national forests state parks, camping and jeep trails, hiking trails, hundreds of water falls.

The place is wild. We've got huge elk herds, antelope, bear, cougar, bobcat, and deer, Salmon steelhead, sturgeon, trout and Dungeness crab, clams and oysters. The state is beautiful.

Then you've got Portland and Eugene - two run down cities with passed out addicts laying on the sidewalk downtown and camper-poopers everywhere. derelict RV's, mentally ill naked people, it's insane.

Guess who runs Portland and Eugene? Democrats.

Austria is similar to Oregon or Colorado in this regard.

But homeless people and hippies and drug users will not stay in the rural countryside all too long and of course go to the cities.

That is also the case here.

But it doesn't mean that Portland and Eugene are "run down".

On the contrary, those are nice cities (just type it in under Google pictures).

Just because people there protested against the dictatorship of Donald Trump once, they are still cool cities embedded into the forests and nature of the West Coast.

oct2020_Oregon-State-University-University-of-Oregon-team-up-to-bring-TRACE-sampling-to-Lane-County.jpg

While the poll comes from the Oregon Public Broadcasting (a non-partisan entity of course), I definitely need to see another poll in the next months to see if this result is an outlier or not.

A 18% lead for Republican governor candidates is hard to believe.

Also, there is no "generic" Republican candidate vs. a "generic" Democratic candidate running in November as the poll asked.

There will be a definitive Republican candidate (with flaws) and a Democratic candidate (with flaws) running, so one would have to test these names in a poll then ...

That's crazy. I don't know much about local Oregon politics, or the financial situation of individuals in Josephine County, but to not pay the assessment for something as basic as an increase in law enforcement services seems really off.
As predicted, it didn't take long for the residents to feel the consequences of their actions. Criminal activity went through the roof. They voted down the increase at least twice that I remember. The county animal shelter had no employees for awhile either. Oregonians have been notoriously against tax increases in the nearly 50 yrs I've lived here.

As predicted, it didn't take long for the residents to feel the consequences of their actions. Criminal activity went through the roof. They voted down the increase at least twice that I remember. The county animal shelter had no employees for awhile either. Oregonians have been notoriously against tax increases in the nearly 50 yrs I've lived here.
On principle or because of financial hardship? I can't imagine the latter being that dire, but I don't want to assume.

Oregon voters could have some Democratic fatigue by now, because they only had Democratic governors since the 1990s.

In deeply Republican Kansas for example, voters got rid of the Republicans in 2018 too when their Republican governor Brownback fu**ed up the state and education system ... and they elected Laura Kelly, a Democrat, as Governor.

But it doesn't mean that Portland and Eugene are "run down".

All they do is move the homeless around, clean up the mess they made, claim the problem is gone now, then the campers come back in greater numbers. You know what they're not doing? Solving the problem.

Local papers are filled with fed up residents and business owners. many have made the choice to relocate to Beaverton, Hillsdale, or Lake Oswego. Several news sites have disabled comments it's gotten so bad. I'm up there for work at least once a week and it's bad.

Realignment ?

It is better to be woke, or awake, than braindead - like so many Republicans are.

Republicans, who still live in the past and dream how good everything was in the past while destroying the planet and its nature and while being racist and xenophobic.

Yeah, it's better to live a woke life based on science and tolerance, rather than turning America into a coal-digging drug infested West Virginia.

It's Oregon.

And apparently no emergency services.

All they do is move the homeless around, clean up the mess they made, claim the problem is gone now, then the campers come back in greater numbers. You know what they're not doing? Solving the problem.

Local papers are filled with fed up residents and business owners. many have made the choice to relocate to Beaverton, Hillsdale, or Lake Oswego. Several news sites have disabled comments it's gotten so bad. I'm up there for work at least once a week and it's bad.

You cannot "solve" a problem like homelessness or hippies if said person has no intention to get a home or a job due to personal struggles.

"Solving" this problem would mean a "final solution" like killing or gassing them like the Nazis did here with people who are "unwelcome".

But that's not how it works, even if many Republicans would prefer such treatment on the homeless or minorities.

You have to tolerate and live with them, even if you don't agree with them or their lifestyle !

How many Republicans have gone up to a homeless person or a veteran in Portland and spoken to them or help them ? Not many. They just walk by and do nothing and expect others to do it or that they get out of it themselves.

It is better to be woke, or awake, than braindead - like so many Republicans are.

Republicans, who still live in the past and dream how good everything was in the past while destroying the planet and its nature and while being racist and xenophobic.

Yeah, it's better to live a woke life based on science and tolerance, rather than turning America into a coal-digging drug infested West Virginia.

Can we get back on topic now.....or do need more time ?

There will not be a political shift.

Portland area is woke and left. End of discussion.

Does not matter how conservative the western part of the state might be......there are not enough of them to overcome the tree huggers.

You cannot "solve" a problem like homelessness or hippies if said person has no intention to get a home or a job due to personal struggles.

"Solving" this problem would mean a "final solution" like killing or gassing them like the Nazis did here with people who are "unwelcome".
LOL! WOw, you went strait off the cliff in flames.

But that's not how it works,
of course not. the drama....
even if many Republicans would prefer such treatment on the homeless or minorities.
bullshit. Conservatives would round them up, but liberal lawyers would be all over it.

That's why they live and shit on the streets and eat from garbage cans in Democrat run cities.
Never forget that. I just gave you a nugget of truth for free.
You have to tolerate and live with them, even if you don't agree with them or their lifestyle !
LOL!! LIFESTYLE!! haha

Why should I subsidize a lifestyle that produces nothing but expense?? LOL!

How many Republicans have gone up to a homeless person or a veteran in Portland and spoken to them or help them ? Not many. They just walk by and do nothing and expect others to do it or that they get out of it themselves.

I spent years volunteering. It's madness.

On principle or because of financial hardship? I can't imagine the latter being that dire, but I don't want to assume.
One of the highest poverty counts in the state are in rural Josephine County, near Cave Junction. Oregon had 20 yrs to figure out what to do when timber subsidies ran out and failed and we're still playing catch up decades later.

I spent years volunteering. It's madness.

You are only dealing with the symptoms, not the illness itself.

You also have to ask why these people are in these situations in the first place: because the US society is fu**ed up and lacks empathy.

If there were proper social policies in place in the US in the past 100 years such as we have here, there wouldn't be as many homeless people or mentally ill or drug users on the streets, as there are now.

A good social safety net, so to say. But instead, Republicans blocked everything that would have led to such a social welfare system.

The result is rampant capitalism, which people cannot adjust to and land on the streets.

It is like a chess game where you'd have needed to think 10 steps ahead to avoid such problems that are everywhere in the US right now, but all people are doing now is try running around with the fire extinguisher.

You are only dealing with the symptoms, not the illness itself.

You also have to ask why these people are in these situations in the first place: because the US society is fu**ed up and lacks empathy.

If there were proper social policies in place in the US in the past 100 years such as we have here, there wouldn't be as many homeless people or mentally ill or drug users on the streets, as there are now.

A good social safety net, so to say. But instead, Republicans blocked everything that would have led to such a social welfare system.

The result is rampant capitalism, which people cannot adjust to and land on the streets.

It is like a chess game where you'd have needed to think 10 steps ahead to avoid such problems that are everywhere in the US right now, but all people are doing now is try running around with the fire extinguisher.

Nothing is stopping the Democrats in charge of Portland from solving the problem.

They've been in charge for decades. It's grown even bigger.

Of course, people in Oregon are mad.

When I was young (I'm 85), Oregon was a dream state.

It was known as a very peaceful and happy state.

There was a joke that one was welcome to visit it but not stay.

Today Oregon has a lot of, well, not very nice people -- as we saw what happened in Portland during 2020.

I worry that some states near the Canadian border are in danger of becoming other Oregons.

What a shame!

Of course, people in Oregon are mad.

When I was young (I'm 85), Oregon was a dream state.

It was known as a very peaceful and happy state.

There was a joke that one was welcome to visit it but not stay.

Today Oregon has a lot of, well, not very nice people -- as we saw what happened in Portland during 2020.

I worry that some states near the Canadian border are in danger of becoming other Oregons.

What a shame!

People protested the autocratic dictatorship of Trump and the excessive police brutality all over the country.

Those are not bad people when they protest such things. They are freedom fighters.

Back
Top Bottom