• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oregon hotel calls cops on black guest talking to his mom in lobby

Off the track completely now....... Ready for the explosion........................ :lamo

One doesn't ask random people. What the hell is that. "Excuse me fellow hotel guest, can you tell me where my room is". How does that work? One asks the desk.

But I'm starting to sense that some people gotta write stuff down and it's not because of cocktails.

Like Obama?

You mean his saying the George Zimmerman could have been his son if he had a son because Zimmerman and he are 50% the same race? Nothing racist about that. :lol:

No, wait, it was Martin could have been his son if he had a son because Martin and he were 50% the same race. That's ok because Obama was talking about his 50% black ancestry, not his 50% white ancestry.

Of course, to the Democratic Party he absolutely was NOT the first bi-racial president as that contradicted their "1 drop" rule of pure white race, so instead he was the first black president because from the start under white Democratic rules only pure white people can be white.

Deduction, Watson.

Nothing in the Hill article, the video, Massey's written statement states there was an indication of a racist motive. If it existed they would have been all over exploiting it. The out of context click bait title of the article identifying Massey's race is a pretty clear indication of fraud The Hill was perpetrating. A fraud fully embraced by JacksinPA.

You mean his saying the George Zimmerman

Whoa, slow down. I asked about Obama and you Zimmermaned me. How rude.

under white Democratic rules only pure white people can be white.

Citation needed.

"Maybe he was pushing crack on old ladies and stealing stuff from babies. And eating them. It's possible. I'm just sayin'."

There is more to this story then we are being told?
Security asked Mr. Massey what his room number was and he said he could not remember but the story said Massey had his room key in his hand?

those hotels have key cards and the numbers are not on them.

However if he had the key card...that should have been enough to end any charges of 'loitering.

You usually get a paper card holder and they write the room number on that paper sleeve! The plastic room key slips into the holder.

Yeah...and I never keep that sleeve.

Partially for the reasons given.

Do we have any more facts?

That does not show why he was told to leave the lobby, does it? He had a room. All he had to do is go to his room, which obviously he refused to do.

Hotel lobbies are empty much of the time except for the check-in desk, particularly late at night, which usually only has one employee for the desk. Anyone hanging around a lobby could steal anything they wanted to. It is not normal for people to hang around an empty lobby and it puts that one employee for the counter also at risk unless security abandons all other duties to watch that person hanging around in the lobby.

He rented a room to stay in, not the entire lobby to stay.

The desperation by the left to find any black person who cries racism due to reaction to their militancy is sickening and tiresome.

WHen I pay for a hotel, I am paying to use the entire facility including the lobby and all the other things that all the other guests have free access to.

they dont have all those couches and pamphlets and tourist brochures in hotel lobbies so that "no one" uses them. People are expected to spend time in those areas. Without needing to explain.

Last edited:
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...lls-cops-on-black-guest-talking-to-his-mom-in

A black man who was a guest at a hotel in Portland, Ore., was asked to leave by police and hotel staff while he was making a call in the lobby.

The Oregonian reported on Wednesday that Jermaine Massey, who is from Washington state, was visiting Portland for the first time to attend a Travis Scott concert when he received a late phone call from his mother.
=======================================================
This wave of 'living while black' incidents with the cops being called on innocent blacks is not only continuing, it seems to be accelerating. It should also be concerning.

Grow the F up.

I have had the same problem and I am white.

This blaming everything on color is not only continuing, it seems to be accelerating. It should also be concerning.

I bet there's more to this story.

No hotel likes a person just hanging around a lobby particularly with limited desk staff for obvious safety and security reasons. We'll stay at hotels/motels at least 50 to 75 times a year. I don't like being boxed in a room and get out of it often. I NEVER go hang out in the lobby. This would forces the desk person to have to stay at the desk - rather than other tasks - just to watch me so I don't steal anything or forces the sole security person to stop patrolling to instead just watch me.

This is pure BS. Please cite something that says hotel management doenst like people hanging out in their lobbies?

I have stayed at the same hotel chain as in this OP 4 times in the last yr, latest 2 weeks ago.

I have many times seen the front desk unmanned, with and without people hanging out in the lobby. THey likely do have some cameras somewhere.

I interview their managers because we hold training events at these types of hotels....never has this come up about having our 'random ultrasound models' hang out in the lobby waiting. Or anyone else. But we have another coming up in mid-Jan. I'll ask specifically.

Grow the F up.

I have had the same problem and I am white.

This blaming everything on color is not only continuing, it seems to be accelerating. It should also be concerning.

Rather reminds me of the claims of racism when a white man wanted to verify if a black man actually lived in the building. Obviously since a black man was involved, it had to be racist. At least according to the news accounts about 5 days ago.

But, today or yesterday a white couple released a video of the same man not letting them in to the same building. Racism or just a guy that is overly cautious of people that are coming in and out of the building he lives in that he doesn't recognize? I suspect in most of these cases of "racism", it is just people overly cautious regardless of race.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...n-berate-black-tenant-apartment-building.html

‘The arrogance is appalling but honestly, not surprising because far too many times people of color have been victims of this kind of behavior.’

Hours after the encounter with Okafor and Flemming, the same man was filmed in another argument with a white couple.

Another example, pool boy Adam who got fired for daring to ask a black lady (who didn't know her own address) why she was in the private community pool, despite no issues when he had previously asked white people the same.

You're, again, making assumptions not in the record. The report was written after the cops showed up, but you're making another assumption that the statement was referring to actions after the cops showed up, and not before.

No, I am going by the facts. The police could not possibly know if he was angry and loud BEFORE they got there. At best, the police may have been told that he was loud and angry before they got there but, if that were the case, they would report it as having been told that he had been so.

I don't know that. I didn't see that in the official record portions that were printed in either article.

The article clearly states that the guard accused him of loitering, and not creating a disturbance.
The fact that he is black was only mentioned by Massey, as far as the two articles I've read about it. Recognizing that he is of a certain race, does not prove that his race was the cause or reason for the actions taken by others. It only proves that his race is something that Mr. Massey feels is more important than potentially his own actions that may have caused this confrontation. However, like I said before, there is not enough information to determine that race was not the cause either, because just as there is no evidence that race was the root cause, there is not enough evidence that race was not the root cause. The police report tends to lean toward race not being a factor, but there is not enough corroborating evidence to support the police report, such as witness statements or security video showing Massey's actions.

There is corroborating evidence, as well as a complete lack of any other reasonable cause for having him evicted.
However, if you'd prefer to stick to the "Not Possible" position, then by all means continue to do so if you wish, since I will not address it further although others may.

And if you want to stick to the "there may be more" despite the complete lack of evidence that there is anything more, be my guest

No hotel likes a person just hanging around a lobby particularly with limited desk staff for obvious safety and security reasons. We'll stay at hotels/motels at least 50 to 75 times a year. I don't like being boxed in a room and get out of it often. I NEVER go hang out in the lobby. This would forces the desk person to have to stay at the desk - rather than other tasks - just to watch me so I don't steal anything or forces the sole security person to stop patrolling to instead just watch me.

At anytime he could have said "I'll just go to my room" - but he didn't. He wanted the issue and demanded that he had rented the entire lobby for the night, which he had not.

There also is the annoyance factor of making EVERYONE listen to someone else on a cell phone. NORMAL polite people do so away from other people. Not everyone checking in wanted to hear about his "family crisis."

Next some racist baiting white liberal will post on the forum how a black man at a theater was the victim of racism because he was told the leave the theater for refusing to stop talking on his cell phone during a movie - and you will rush to that thread ranting of "obvious racism," correct?

So, IOW, you've never actually stayed in a hotel, ever.

Thanks for coming clean about that.

Not normally. No. I tend to make a note of addresses I want to go to as well.

And how is that related? Probably difficult for him to ask directions to his room without the number also.

Do you realize that, if you forget your room #, you can go to the front desk, give them your key card and ID, and they will tell you which room you are in?

With all the biased press trying to show 'innocent' blacks getting disciplined unfairly, businesses and private citizens are going to find it more difficult to treat black people in the appropriate way.

A Race Consultant could be hired to be on hand whenever an employee has to deal with a black person. When a situation develops, such as a black person getting rude or disruptive, the RC would remind the white person that the black person is indeed black. There was slavery and Jim Crow, and Trump is racist. Therefore, the threshold to act on disruptive behavior is raised when the disruptor is black. Think of it as a behavior allowance in the spirit of affirmative action: Michael Brown was still a teddy bear even though he strong-armed the clerk.

For those private white citizens who can't afford an RC, perhaps a home course with weekly refreshers might suffice. For an even more frugal option, the mass media provides clues - for free - on how to adjust your reactions to behavior based on race.

Or people could simply treat blacks the same as everyone else. It isn't as hard as you seem to think.

No, I am going by the facts. The police could not possibly know if he was angry and loud BEFORE they got there. At best, the police may have been told that he was loud and angry before they got there but, if that were the case, they would report it as having been told that he had been so.
Yes they could, by eyewitness reports or electronic data such as security videos. I mentioned those and said that there is no evidence in the record regarding those, one way or the other, as to whether they exist or not.

Again, you're making assumptions.

The article clearly states that the guard accused him of loitering, and not creating a disturbance.
The article didn't say he that he "was not" causing a disturbance.

There is corroborating evidence, as well as a complete lack of any other reasonable cause for having him evicted.
That's opinion, not fact.

And if you want to stick to the "there may be more" despite the complete lack of evidence that there is anything more, be my guest
I'm not saying "there may be more." I'm saying "there isn't enough, one way or the other." I showed where there's at least some on each side, you stated, that regardless of evidence to the contrary, that anything other than your opinion of what you believe happened is "not possible."

Do you realize that, if you forget your room #, you can go to the front desk, give them your key card and ID, and they will tell you which room you are in?

Of course, you could ask the front desk. That's kind of inconvenient to do every time you go to your room.

My guess is that the hotel guest, and the person I was responding to, were both being buts.

One hint that this is agitation is that who he was talking to is irrelevant, but that it was "mom" is played up.

Well the hotel haven't put an alternative story out yet have they? I'm waiting for one other poster who will claim unless there are plenty of other examples of stories like this or racial slurs being used that this story is not "real racism...."

There’s really no need since it’s abundantly clear that both parties should have handled things differently. The security officer has a right and obligation to confirm that persons on the property are paying guests. Mr. Massey did not provide that confirmation nor did he seek to. He flashed a keycard which could have been from anywhere and/or any time and chose to make a scene in the lobby instead as the police described him as “angry and loud.” The hotel management appears to have zero tolerance for belligerent guests in the lobby so I find them wanting in customer service skills and I find Mr. Massey wanting in common sense and composure.

There’s really no need since it’s abundantly clear that both parties should have handled things differently. The security officer has a right and obligation to confirm that persons on the property are paying guests. Mr. Massey did not provide that confirmation nor did he seek to. He flashed a keycard which could have been from anywhere and/or any time and chose to make a scene in the lobby instead as the police described him as “angry and loud.” The hotel management appears to have zero tolerance for belligerent guests in the lobby so I find them wanting in customer service skills and I find Mr. Massey wanting in common sense and composure.

So if you dont tolerate guests in your home being belligerent you have a hosting skills problem?

I encourage a Re-Think.

Yes they could, by eyewitness reports or electronic data such as security videos. I mentioned those and said that there is no evidence in the record regarding those, one way or the other, as to whether they exist or not.

Again, you're making assumptions.

And again, if they had a witness, they would report what the witness told them and not pre-judge their credibility. They would also report any evidence, electronic or otherwise, they had seen or collected.

The article didn't say he that he "was not" causing a disturbance.

Right, because he was not causing any disturbance. The article clearly states that the guard was recorded saying that the complaint was loitering.

That's opinion, not fact.

Nope. Fact. There is absolutely no evidence that there is any more relevant facts
I'm not saying "there may be more." I'm saying "there isn't enough, one way or the other." I showed where there's at least some on each side, you stated, that regardless of evidence to the contrary, that anything other than your opinion of what you believe happened is "not possible."

There is plenty. We know he had a room and that he was evicted, by the police for loitering in a place he had every right to be.

Back
Top Bottom