• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oregon hotel calls cops on black guest talking to his mom in lobby

In all these years I have never had a hotel staff member ask me to prove I was a guest there.

But you say when you are asked if you are a guest you answer the question. Do you get confronted often about your status?

Usually only when it's late at night.

In all these years I have never had a hotel staff member ask me to prove I was a guest there.

But you say when you are asked if you are a guest you answer the question. Do you get confronted often about your status?

My wife & I were staying at a Hilton in Phila & the security people were giving a young guy a very hard time to prove that he was a registered guest or not. This was right next to us & not in a closed office where I would think such interrogations would happen.

Last edited:
The police were called because Massey would/could not answer the security guard's question of what room he was staying in. He reportedly responded to the guard, "leave me alone".
Have you ever had anyone visit you while staying in a hotel? How about you running up to your room to get something while you friend was waiting in the lobby?
The only real question here that has not been answered is why did Earl ask him anything? The fact that both Earl and the manager are incompetent morons is amply evident.

In one of the videos, the two employees do tell their version. They say they called the police because he was sitting in the lobby.

If you have evidence that there is more to this story, post it and I will be happy to consider it

What they actually say is they asked if he had a room, and he declined to answer. But sure, they also indicate he was sitting in the lobby. That prompted the initial ask for information. But they called the cops because he wouldn't confirm he had a room. He felt privelaged to ignore a normal question of hotel security.

@_@

People are carrying around phones in their hands for a reason. Many reasons.

So then why use a pay phone or land line?

:doh

They use pay phones so no one would hear what is said. Police scanners can pick up cell phone calls if they are not scrambled. Of course you can intercept a call but by the time the police arrive the culprit is long gone after making the connections. A few "urban" neighborhoods still have them.

So its clear to me you just want Massey to be guilty of something, even though there is no evidence for it. Speaks more about you than anything else.

Those two former employees made their beds, so now they have to sleep on it. Both Hotel Earl and the manager could have easily deescalated the situation, instead they called the cops in. A very dumb move on their part and they deserved to get fired. I wouldnt want to stay in a hotel with those two clowns running the place.

The security guard and the manager were pretty level headed. Based on what I see in the video, Massey was in the wrong here. Massey obviously did or said something that prompted the guard to ask for the cops to be called. Unfortunately that's not in the video. Why would Massey video tape that part. If he had the whole thing on video this may be a story. It amazes me how many people get beat up or shot by the cops or kicked out of a place after doing something they shouldn't be and then complain about it. Massey was Antagonizing the guard and not being cooperative....Period! All he had to do was be respectful to the guard and This would be a non story.

I do not want anyone judged before all the facts can be analyzed. Not the black guest. Not the hotel employees. Not those advocating for proper judgment and justice in the matter instead of rushing to stupid racist narratives without having heard all the facts.

The facts are that those two idiots threw out a paying customer for no apparent reason. As to whether they were racist, being assholes or just plain dumb, they deserved to get fired.

The security guard and the manager were pretty level headed.
They were idiots. You dont confront a man and force him out for no apparent reason if he has paid for his room.
Based on what I see in the video, Massey was in the wrong here. Massey obviously did or said something that prompted the guard to ask for the cops to be called. Unfortunately that's not in the video.
That's what you seem to believe, yet there is nothing to back your assertion up.

Why would Massey video tape that part.
Because that was the time that the guard threatened him to leave. He was talking to his mom prior to that.

It amazes me how many people get beat up or shot by the cops or kicked out of a place after doing something they shouldn't be and then complain about it.
Because there are times that they are actually right. This is one of them.
Massey was Antagonizing the guard and not being cooperative....Period! All he had to do was be respectful to the guard and This would be a non story.

What exactly did you want Massey to do? Get down on his knees, and say "yes, sir, no sir?"

He was a paying customer using the hotel facilities. The guard is not a cop, and there was no probable cause here.

If you are a hotel guard and the customer tells you to stop bothering him and he hasnt done anything illegal you do it. If he tells you he has a room then you take him at his word. It's called customer service. America isnt a police state.

It amazes me how those claiming racism and hotel men bad don't seem to have any acknowledgement of how many facts have to be assumed to find racism and wrongdoing here and how the other conclusions can actually be reached on real evidence.

The facts are that those two idiots threw out a paying customer for no apparent reason.
There is no apparent reason due to the fact that all the details and facts are not known and not reported. Ignorance is the fertile ground underlying nearly all racist narratives propagated by ignorant race baiting idiots.

The security guard and the manager were pretty level headed. Based on what I see in the video, Massey was in the wrong here. Massey obviously did or said something that prompted the guard to ask for the cops to be called.

They were both in the wrong. Massey easily could have answered the question with a "yes, I am a hotel guest, here is my key". It would have been done.

Once he finally digs out the key, the guard should have just said thank you and canceled the police call. That was poor customer service, and likely the reason he was fired and wanting to avoid the chain being called racists.

Massey made it a bit more difficult, by saying he would rather just wait for the cops, when the manager was trying to make some progress on the whole thing.

No one comes out of this looking good and had Massey been white, this wouldn't be news and if it somehow did everyone would just be saying they were both jerks.

Do those of you supporting Massey think what he did is going to help or hurt race relations?

I think every time people see stuff like this it both fuels the fire of those who are already racist and creates more racism. It's also like crying wolf. Unfortunately real acts of racism are less likely to be taken seriously.

They were both in the wrong. Massey easily could have answered the question with a "yes, I am a hotel guest, here is my key". It would have been done.

Once he finally digs out the key, the guard should have just said thank you and canceled the police call. That was poor customer service, and likely the reason he was fired and wanting to avoid the chain being called racists.

Massey made it a bit more difficult, by saying he would rather just wait for the cops, when the manager was trying to make some progress on the whole thing.

No one comes out of this looking good and had Massey been white, this wouldn't be news and if it somehow did everyone would just be saying they were both jerks.

Except if he were white this would have probably not even happened at all.

And why is Massey not coming out looking good? He was on his phone, obviously in a conversation when he was interrupted without real reason IMO. As he said he had his key in his hand, he had already stated he was a guest. That should have been enough. The guard could have let him alone and watched if he went up to his room but he overreacted and escalated this to levels that were totally uncalled for.

Also why would he have to do one more step by showing his key, he had stated he was a guest there and no other people were asked the same question at all if they were guests. Hence the reason that they were fired from their job.

And why is Massey not coming out looking good? He was on his phone, obviously in a conversation when he was interrupted without real reason IMO. As he said he had his key in his hand, he had already stated he was a guest. That should have been enough. The guard could have let him alone and watched if he went up to his room but he overreacted and escalated this to levels that were totally uncalled for.

Also why would he have to do one more step by showing his key, he had stated he was a guest there and no other people were asked the same question at all if they were guests. Hence the reason that they were fired from their job.

The security guard had said he had asked other people loitering in the lobby for evidence they were guests. Did you watch the video? I can't say 100 percent, but I would certainly be willing to bet he has asked white people for proof they were guests in similar situations.

You can tell he didn't have the key in his hand. Listen to the rusting as he goes through his stuff before showing it on camera.

Oh... and there was no one else for them to ask. Massey was the only one there.

Massey was trying to equate people walking to their destinations through the lobby to himself who was siting in the lobby for quite some time, apparently.

I agree they both were wrong. I don't understand why people have to lose their jobs automatically because of one mistake. I also hate how quickly these idiots pass judgment on a person they don't know.

One guy loses his job while the other becomes a celebrity and potentially rich. This crap needs to stop.

The security guard had said he had asked other people loitering in the lobby for evidence they were guests. Did you watch the video? I can't say 100 percent, but I would certainly be willing to bet he has asked white people for proof they were guests in similar situations.

You can tell he didn't have the key in his hand. Listen to the rusting as he goes through his stuff before showing it on camera.

Well, still does not make him guilty of anything. He was a guest and there was no reason to give him the first degree purely because he was talking on the phone.

Why do I have a feeling that both Earl and Massey are gonna get a lot of hate from this. This is not going to end well for either of these guy's.

Can't we all just get along?

Peter King;106948b3461 said:
Well, still does not make him guilty of anything. He was a guest and there was no reason to give him the first degree purely because he was talking on the phone.

The guard had no way of knowimg that and it seems to me the guard has every reason to ask people hanging out in a hotel lobby for quite a while for evidence they are a guest.

Had I been approached I would have given him that evidence right away. Massey chose not to. Probably because he just assumes he is only being asked because he is black and is offended.

This is a nothing that turned into a something that turned into a potentially profitable something.

Give him the first degree.......??

The staff security asked to see his room key.

Apparently you have lived a pretty delicate life. This wasn't an unreasonable request.

Back
Top Bottom