• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oregon Food Tax.

Lord of Planar

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
We have a ballot measure 103 coming up on our next election. I would normally agree to vote YES on the idea of this banning of a food tax, but I have to vote NO. My reason is the measure is made for the big soda companies loiike Coke and Pepsi, so their products cannot be taxed. The measure basically says that groceries cannot be taxed. They currently aren't and it is unlikely that Oregon would ever tax food. However, the measure, which would be a constitutional amendment, also includes beverages.

I'm sorry. I think soda pop should have the same type of taxation as cigarettes and alcohol. I'll bet the lawyers would argue this includes candy. If they had just kept sugary beverages and candy out of the bill, I would vote YES.

Thoughts?

https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Measure_103,_Ban_Tax_on_Groceries_Initiative_(2018)

Since Oregon, like others, has a mojority of ignorant voters.... This constitutional change will pass. Sad but true. Corporate Pepsi and Coke will be laughing to the bank.

Last edited:
We have a ballot measure 103 coming up on our next election. I would normally agree to vote YES on the idea of this banning of a food tax, but I have to vote NO. My reason is the measure is made for the big soda companies loiike Coke and Pepsi, so their products cannot be taxed. The measure basically says that groceries cannot be taxed. They currently aren't and it is unlikely that Oregon would ever tax food. However, the measure, which would be a constitutional amendment, also includes beverages.

I'm sorry. I think soda pop should have the same type of taxation as cigarettes and alcohol. I'll bet the lawyers would argue this includes candy. If they had just kept sugary beverages and candy out of the bill, I would vote YES.

Thoughts?

https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Measure_103,_Ban_Tax_on_Groceries_Initiative_(2018)

Since Oregon, like others, has a mojority of ignorant voters.... This constitutional change will pass. Sad but true. Corporate Pepsi and Coke will be laughing to the bank.

Makes sense to me, this sounds very much like payoff for the beverage companies. I bet we can guess who the sponsors received money from.

Makes sense to me, this sounds very much like payoff for the beverage companies. I bet we can guess who the sponsors received money from.

The authors of the bill also make it retroactive so 2017 taxes aren't imposed on grocery stores. I'm fine with such a thing after a similar measure passes, but retroactive will not be retroactively put in employees pockets, or cheaper food. Just corporate profits, of which... guess what... Major food stores are heavy contributors to the YES vote.

I am all for such a measure to lower food prices. I never thought necessities should be taxed. However, soda is not a necessity, and with mandated health insurance... I am one that wants to see soda and candy taxed!

Thoughts?

So, you're fine with the additional cost to Oregonians as long as those evil corporations get stuck? Is this a point of sale tax or does it apply on supplier levels as well. It would seem to me that point of sale only would do minimal damage t corporations but punish ordinary Oregonians.

So, you're fine with the additional cost to Oregonians as long as those evil corporations get stuck? Is this a point of sale tax or does it apply on supplier levels as well. It would seem to me that point of sale only would do minimal damage t corporations but punish ordinary Oregonians.

No, there is no additional cost. Oregon will never impose a tax of food. I do like that it essentially makes grocery stores pay less taxes, to pass along lower prices.

I simply disagree with a constitutional amendment that prevents taxing soda, energy drinks, etc.

I actually believe corporations should pay no tax, because it is a production tax. You read me wrong.

Thoughts?

Soda contains large amounts of caffeine, a drug that has been shown to be toxic in enough doses. That should put it in the same category as alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana.

Sugar on the other hand is not a drug and should not be treated as one.

No, there is no additional cost. Oregon will never impose a tax of food. I do like that it essentially makes grocery stores pay less taxes, to pass along lower prices.

I simply disagree with a constitutional amendment that prevents taxing soda, energy drinks, etc.

I actually believe corporations should pay no tax, because it is a production tax. You read me wrong.
Ok, makes sense. Sorry for the confusion.

I expect to see both the tax related measures on the Oregon ballot to go down with a "no."

Back
Top Bottom