• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Opposition to Obamacare Becomes Political Liability for GOP Incumbents

Show where it enables the Secretary to acquire the funds.

The GOP's opposition to helping middle class families access low deducible health plans isn't in dispute here! There's no question they spent years abusing the appropriations process to try and deny millions of families affordable health plans.

But as federal courts have found multiple times now, the section of the ACA I've already quoted is a money-mandating statute. The government is liable for damages for shirking its unambiguous obligation to make those payments. The GOP tried to block funds to help working families but the government is on the hook for those funds anyway.

i don't do alt reality.
That's the only thing you do

Republicans have been trying to sabotage the ACA for a decade.
More correctly, they have been trying to repeal it for a decade. Failing that, they have done damage control, which you are taking as an attack.

The GOP's opposition to helping middle class families access low deducible health plans isn't in dispute here! There's no question they spent years abusing the appropriations process to try and deny millions of families affordable health plans. But as federal courts have found multiple times now, the section of the ACA I've already quoted is a money-mandating statute. The government is liable for damages for shirking its unambiguous obligation to make those payments. The GOP tried to block funds to help working families but the government is on the hook for those funds anyway.
Still more propaganda. It would be more convincing if Democrats did not try to prevent competing products from entering the market.

An ACA plan is a Cadillac. Young singles don't need much of the mandated coverage. However, the ACA forced them to buy only those plans and forced them to pay inflated premiums to do so. Large numbers of middle class people took no coverage and paid the fine. Republicans repealed the individual mandate, which Helix treats as an attack, see above.

Last edited:
Still more propaganda.

You brought up the GOP's years-long refusal to appropriate funds to fulfil the government's obligation to pay insurers back for meeting the ACA's requirement that they provide low deductible plans to families. It's no mystery why the GOP did that: to try and make it harder for people to afford care.

Their efforts to sabotage access to care finally caught up to them in the 2018 midterms and stand to again in November.

Exactly. You have a steady diet.

It's a big site. i see a lot of adjustments, which goes with the part about keeping things running.

It was and is intentional sabotage.

You brought up the GOP's years-long refusal to appropriate funds to fulfil the government's obligation to pay insurers back for meeting the ACA's requirement that they provide low deductible plans to families. It's no mystery why the GOP did that: to try and make it harder for people to afford care. Their efforts to sabotage access to care finally caught up to them in the 2018 midterms and stand to again in November.
How is it the Republicans fault when they follow the law the Democrats wrote? It's that rule of law thing. You don't respect it when it bites you.

It was and is intentional sabotage.
:lamo

That's bringing the facts.

How is it the Republicans fault when they follow the law the Democrats wrote?

Their illegal attempt to defund the law to hurt working families is obviously their fault.

Their illegal attempt to defund the law to hurt working families is obviously their fault.

You're killing me. The law did not authorize the funding. I'll give you Obama's EO was illegal.

You're killing me. The law did not authorize the funding. I'll give you Obama's EO was illegal.

What's amazing is that your reading of the situation--that the GOP believed in good faith an annual appropriation was needed and then purposefully withheld one for years to hurt families--is the charitable one. Just a trash party top to bottom.

What's amazing is that your reading of the situation--that the GOP believed in good faith an annual appropriation was needed and then purposefully withheld one for years to hurt families--is the charitable one. Just a trash party top to bottom.
False statement. I said that the Republicans followed the law as it was written.

You are the one who wants to disregard the rule of law because it's inconvenient.

False statement. I said that the Republicans followed the law as it was written.

The law requires HHS to reimburse insurers who lower deductibles and out-of-pocket limits for families. Your position is that the GOP deliberately refused to appropriate funds to fulfill the government's legal obligation. That isn't "following the law as it was written," that's screwing people on purpose. The GOP way.

The law requires HHS to reimburse insurers who lower deductibles and out-of-pocket limits for families. Your position is that the GOP deliberately refused to appropriate funds to fulfill the government's legal obligation. That isn't "following the law as it was written," that's screwing people on purpose. The GOP way.
My position is that the law does not allow it.

You feel it's OK to disregard the law when inconvenient. That's more than simple cheating, it's contempt for the law.

As a reminder, in the 2018 midterms exit polls showed health care to be by far the most important issue in that election. Those voting on health care preferred Dem candidates by a 52-point (75-23) margin. The Dems gained back the House with the largest midterm vote margin of all time, nearly 10 million votes.

And now once again the GOP's opposition to the Affordable Care Act is shaping up to be a major albatross around its neck.

Opposition to Obamacare Becomes Political Liability for GOP Incumbents

Trying to take away people's health care wasn't popular when the GOP tried it in 2017. But trying it during a pandemic? Boy, I don't know.

Time for Biden to start in on this.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

How is it the Republicans fault when they follow the law the Democrats wrote? It's that rule of law thing. You don't respect it when it bites you.

That's bringing the facts.

i brought plenty of facts, thanks.

The law requires it.
You keep trying to change the subject. The law does not provide the funding. Never did. You can only ignore that if you ignore the rule of law.

i brought plenty of facts, thanks.
Perhaps you will finally share one with us. So far it has been a fact free diet.

Ladies and gentlemen, the priorities of the richest nation in the world:

UninsuredbyCountry.jpg

And the really sick thing about this is that this is after Obamacare added some 20 million people to the rolls of the insured--no thanks to Republicans.

I dont mean to brag but if you read my "Obama care is republican proof" thread you wouldnt be suprised.

President Obama has made Obamacare “republican proof”

and on a side note, the posts from the right in the Obamacare forum get more hilarious every year.

it must be somewhat Republican resistant, but when you look at what they've done to it so far, i wouldn't say "Republican proof." i wouldn't even say that SS and Medicare are safe anymore, especially if Republicans can either win or cheat their way to a win this November. i'm kind of getting tired of having every election be the most important election of our lifetimes because one side has gone utterly bat**** while the other side basically just sort of shows up when picking candidates.

That's the only thing you do

More correctly, they have been trying to repeal it for a decade. Failing that, they have done damage control, which you are taking as an attack.

Still more propaganda. It would be more convincing if Democrats did not try to prevent competing products from entering the market.

An ACA plan is a Cadillac. Young singles don't need much of the mandated coverage. However, the ACA forced them to buy only those plans and forced them to pay inflated premiums to do so. Large numbers of middle class people took no coverage and paid the fine. Republicans repealed the individual mandate, which Helix treats as an attack, see above.

First, it's not "damage control" to side with a lawsuit aimed at declaring the ACA unconstitutional.
Second, the reason why the ACA has mandated minimum coverage is because allowing people to buy junk-policies -- policies that provide very little coverage, would be a loophole to circumvent the mandate to have coverage.

Now, Court backs Trump administration’s expansion of ‘junk insurance’ health plans, which makes Americans more prone to health cost risk.

Third, "Young singles don't need much of the mandated coverage," until they do. Young singles do get cancer, heart ailments and other chronic illnesses.

and on a side note, the posts from the right in the Obamacare forum get more hilarious every year.

Always fun to go back and review the apocalyptic predictions from the right from back then--and realize that they missed along the way that the ACA works.

The actual vs the predicted has been astonishing in any number of ways, e.g. Good guesses, but wrong

I meant to revisit some of the funnier rightwing predictions from back then (Medicare Advantage would be driven to extinction, employer-based coverage would implode, the Medicare savings wouldn't materialize, high-deductible plans would be outlawed, etc, etc) around the ten year mark earlier this year but never got around to it. I suppose they aren't going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom