• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Opportunity Amidst The Ground Zero Mosque Controversy

Carole

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
While the proposed building of a 13-story, $100 million Islamic Center and mosque near New York's Ground Zero has given all political sides plenty of ammunition for their talking points, it also provides opportunities for real leadership. But while a new poll shows New York voters oppose plans to build Cordoba House by a nearly 2-to-1 margin and 68 percent of Americans nationwide feel the same way, President Barack Obama and his supporters continue their attempts to turn the issue into a lecture on constitutionality rather than trying to bring about mutual tolerance.

That same poll found that an overwhelming majority of respondents understand that Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf has the constitutional right to build Cordoba House yet Obama & Company, along with their accomplices in the mainstream media, have taken their all-too-familiar position that the American people's opinions don't matter because they are just too dumb to understand the complexities of an issue. After all, Mr. Obama gave his professorial lecture on the constitutionality of the project in front of a select group of Muslims at a lavish White House dinner party. He just couldn't seem to understand why that didn't put the entire matter to rest.

Despite all the reasoned opinions from people who have spoken out against the project, the president remains reluctant to even acknowledge the validity of those opinions. In an attempt to "vote present" and avoid any more controversy, Mr. Obama stated he will not comment on the "wisdom" of building the Islamic Center just steps from where Islamic extremists slaughtered almost 3,000 human beings. Many of his critics have dubbed this a "He was for it before he was against it" moment, but it could have been (and possibly still could be) a "teachable moment."

The man who initiated the infamous "Beer Summit" after falsely accusing police of "acting stupidly" in a racially charged incident last summer, could show real leadership and potentially bring about some real healing by acknowledging the valid feelings and opinions of those opposed to the Cordoba House project and offering some meaningful ideas for compromise.

Since he decided to step into what his administration previously called a "local issue," why not wade in a little deeper to possibly improve the situation? Could there be room in that 13-story, $100 million colossus that could be dedicated to inter-faith understanding and cooperation? Community outreach to a community with such fresh scars? Some tangible demonstration from the owners and future occupants that they want to be a part of the community they are seeking to enter and not some shining monument to the worst day in so many of their soon-to-be neighbors' lives?

Today the developers of Cordoba House have rejected New York Governor David Paterson's offer to help them find a different site for the project. Were they emboldened to reject even the discussion of such a compromise by President Obama's constitutionality lecture? Would they be more willing to take a less confrontational approach if the president helped to initiate a dialog? Would those New Yorkers opposed to the project even want to participate in a discussion involving compromise and healing? Would such a "Cordoba Summit" stand a chance of bringing real and mutual tolerance? It's doubtful we'll ever know because President Obama will not risk the little political capital he has left trying to actually help the people of lower Manhattan.

He made his speech, got his standing ovation and has moved on to campaign elsewhere.

While the proposed building of a 13-story, $100 million Islamic Center and mosque near New York's Ground Zero has given all political sides plenty of ammunition for their talking points, it also provides opportunities for real leadership. But while a new poll shows New York voters oppose plans to build Cordoba House by a nearly 2-to-1 margin and 68 percent of Americans nationwide feel the same way, President Barack Obama and his supporters continue their attempts to turn the issue into a lecture on constitutionality rather than trying to bring about mutual tolerance.

That same poll found that an overwhelming majority of respondents understand that Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf has the constitutional right to build Cordoba House yet Obama & Company, along with their accomplices in the mainstream media, have taken their all-too-familiar position that the American people's opinions don't matter because they are just too dumb to understand the complexities of an issue. After all, Mr. Obama gave his professorial lecture on the constitutionality of the project in front of a select group of Muslims at a lavish White House dinner party. He just couldn't seem to understand why that didn't put the entire matter to rest.

Despite all the reasoned opinions from people who have spoken out against the project, the president remains reluctant to even acknowledge the validity of those opinions. In an attempt to "vote present" and avoid any more controversy, Mr. Obama stated he will not comment on the "wisdom" of building the Islamic Center just steps from where Islamic extremists slaughtered almost 3,000 human beings. Many of his critics have dubbed this a "He was for it before he was against it" moment, but it could have been (and possibly still could be) a "teachable moment."

The man who initiated the infamous "Beer Summit" after falsely accusing police of "acting stupidly" in a racially charged incident last summer, could show real leadership and potentially bring about some real healing by acknowledging the valid feelings and opinions of those opposed to the Cordoba House project and offering some meaningful ideas for compromise.

Since he decided to step into what his administration previously called a "local issue," why not wade in a little deeper to possibly improve the situation? Could there be room in that 13-story, $100 million colossus that could be dedicated to inter-faith understanding and cooperation? Community outreach to a community with such fresh scars? Some tangible demonstration from the owners and future occupants that they want to be a part of the community they are seeking to enter and not some shining monument to the worst day in so many of their soon-to-be neighbors' lives?

Today the developers of Cordoba House have rejected New York Governor David Paterson's offer to help them find a different site for the project. Were they emboldened to reject even the discussion of such a compromise by President Obama's constitutionality lecture? Would they be more willing to take a less confrontational approach if the president helped to initiate a dialog? Would those New Yorkers opposed to the project even want to participate in a discussion involving compromise and healing? Would such a "Cordoba Summit" stand a chance of bringing real and mutual tolerance? It's doubtful we'll ever know because President Obama will not risk the little political capital he has left trying to actually help the people of lower Manhattan.

He made his speech, got his standing ovation and has moved on to campaign elsewhere.

another hit job on obama, just for defending our law. ridiculous.

Pretty tiring isn't it? But I guess when they have absolutely nothing positive to stand for, it's all they are left with. Empty partisan sniping and bigotry.

It isn't what Obama said, it's what he refused to say. We all know that they have the legal right to build their mosque there, but the question is, is it a good idea? Our leader refuses to say what the over whelming majority of Americans think, which is choosing to build it there is very bad judgment.

It isn't what Obama said, it's what he refused to say. We all know that they have the legal right to build their mosque there, but the question is, is it a good idea? Our leader refuses to say what the over whelming majority of Americans think, which is choosing to build it there is very bad judgment.

Bull ****. He refused to be bullied or browbeat into making a bigotted remark. But then, in Regresso World, that's the same thing, right?

Bull ****. He refused to be bullied or browbeat into making a bigotted remark. But then, in Regresso World, that's the same thing, right?

Actually in his remarks on Saturday he did question the wisdom of building the center there. So it does seem his remarks in teir totality are in sync with most Americans. Legally they can do with the property as they wish, but is that the best decision they could make.

Since when do you think it's a good idea for Obama to tell us what is or is not a good idea? :lol:

Some tangible demonstration from the owners and future occupants that they want to be a part of the community they are seeking to enter and not some shining monument to the worst day in so many of their soon-to-be neighbors' lives?

I'm pretty sure the shining monument is ground zero itself.

Oh, wait, you mean there hasn't been anything built there in the intervening years?

Yep, there's your monument. :lol:

Since when do you think it's a good idea for Obama to tell us what is or is not a good idea? :lol:

Oops... I forgot...

This administration could care less about the feelings of the American people. It's all about the progressive agenda, and the American people are too stupid to know what's right for them.

That was pretty weak, Grim17, even for a straw-man.

I'll ask you again: Since when do you think it's a good idea for Obama to tell us what is or is not a good idea?

That was pretty weak, Grim17, even for a straw-man.

I'll ask you again: Since when do you think it's a good idea for Obama to tell us what is or is not a good idea?

When he decided to stand before that group of Muslims and support their legal right to build that mosque, he opened that can of worms. There are two sides to this story, and the president has once again chosen to present only one... and again it isn't the one that represent the people he is supposed to be serving.

The phrase "The police acted stupidly" comes to mind.

Last edited:
When he decided to stand before that group of Muslims and support their legal right to build that mosque, he opened that can of worms. There are two sides to this story, and the president has once again chosen to present only one... and again it isn't the one that represent the people he is supposed to be serving.

More bull ****. The POTUS serves ALL Americans, even those bigots and hatemongers don't like.

Once again you dodged my question. I guess the truth is you'd rather he not tell us what is or is not a good idea -- in other words, that he not tell us what to do -- but you can't admit it because it doesn't help you here.

He sure didn't serve them ALL on this issue, now did he?

The President is the nation's top law enforcer.

He said the people behind the community center had a legal right to build it.

That should be his only comment on the subject.

He sure didn't serve them ALL on this issue, now did he?

He "served" the Constitution, as he is sworn to do. If that offends you, I can't do much for you, other than recommend you take some American History and civics courses.

:shrug:

He "served" the Constitution, as he is sworn to do. If that offends you, I can't do much for you, other than recommend you take some American History and civics courses.

:shrug:

Say what? He pandered to the Muslim crowd he was speaking to.

I'm not disputing their right to build that mosque, and my comments have nothing to do with that. He didn't make those comments to the American people, he made them to a Muslim group. If he can pander to them, then certainly he can at least state that he understands how it could seen as offensive to so many people.

But again, our leader falls short of the mark.

Say what? He pandered to the Muslim crowd he was speaking to.

I'm not disputing their right to build that mosque, and my comments have nothing to do with that. He didn't make those comments to the American people, he made them to a Muslim group. If he can pander to them, then certainly he can at least state that he understands how it could seen as offensive to so many people.

But again, our leader falls short of the mark.

So, basically, you're all butthurt that he wouldn't be the hatemongering bigot you would have prefered. Got it.

It's amazing to think he's made it this far without the help of people with your mindset.

So, basically, you're all butthurt that he wouldn't be the hatemongering bigot you would have prefered. Got it.

It's amazing to think he's made it this far without the help of people with your mindset.

Hatemongering.... lmmfao!

Your right... F the American people. Those terrorist bastards should not only build it there, they should erect a monument to those 19 brave souls who gave their lives for Ala.

<sarcasm OFF>

Your right... F the American people. Those terrorist bastards should not only build it there, they should erect a monument to those 19 brave souls who gave their lives for Ala.

<sarcasm OFF>

What "terrorist bastards" would that be?

Yes, hatemongering. Thanks for leaving no question as to that.

<sarcasm OFF>

Well, since Grim17 has apparently run from this thread after making the despicable accusation of calling people "terrorist bastards" without even a shred of evidence to back up his hatemongering LIE, perhaps one of the others that buy into his mindset can step up to the plate and answer for him.

Who are the "terrorist bastards" he is talking about? Specifically, by name, WITH specific evidence to back it up. Hate rhetoric and bigot speech doesn't count.

Last edited:
Well, since Grim17 has apparently run from this thread after making the despicable accusation of calling people "terrorist bastards" without even a shred of evidence to back up his hatemongering LIE, perhaps one of the others that buy into his mindset can step up to the plate and answer for him.

Who are the "terrorist bastards" he is talking about? Specifically, by name, WITH specific evidence to back it up. Hate rhetoric and bigot speech doesn't count.

Maybe I should have super sized the "<sarcasm OFF>" sign.

Maybe I should have super sized the "<sarcasm OFF>" sign.

Or maybe you should not hide behind "it was sarcasm" when it clearly wasn't. I note that you, quite predictably, FAILED to answer the questions or provide any evidence of the bigoted slur you wrote. No surprise there.

Or maybe you should not hide behind "it was sarcasm" when it clearly wasn't. I note that you, quite predictably, FAILED to answer the questions or provide any evidence of the bigoted slur you wrote. No surprise there.

You really expect me to explain sarcasm? Get a life.

You really expect me to explain sarcasm? Get a life.

Did I ask you to explain sarcasm to me?

I'm quite certain I did not. Besides, how would you explain something you clearly have no grasp of.

"Get a life."????? That's the best you can come up with? Really?

Pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom