• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

OPINION: Why not ban talk radio?

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
A friend of mine recently asked me why I listened to Michael Savage, Rush or Hannity. I told him that as a Libertarian I listen to all spectrums (while reading CNN.com, Huffington Post, Daily Kos) to build an informed opinion.

He then opined that talk radio "was all about hate" and "should be banned".

I asked him why and he said that since the talkers on the right are anti-Obama they should be arrested, jailed, banned and all right-wing talk radio hosts banned and jailed in full order. When I asked what would replace it, my friends stated: "progressives."

Several of my friends in Dallas also mentioned the same thing: *Jail* Limbaugh, Savage and Hannity, shut down "racist" FOX News and "create real change in our nation. True change. Remove the racist, bigoted right wingers."

QUESTION TO THE FORUM: Should right wing talk radio be banned? How would you ban it? Could the Federal Communications Commission carry out the closings? Would this be egalitarian? Would it make America more "tolerant"?

All I can say is, freedom of speech is a real beech if you a progressive.

Banning speech is kind of the opposite of 'tolerant' so no, it couldn't possibly make the US more tolerant. Banning such stations and such speech would go against everything this country stands for. Particularly banning commentary that runs contrary to the current administration. Isn't that a bit.. I dunno... totalitarian? Authoritarian? One of those 'arians'? LOL Kinda like what China does, squash all dissent. I can't even believe that a person in THIS country, with the values we have and purport to have would have the gall to even suggest such a move.

The day that kind of **** is done is the day the dream that is America dies.

QUESTION TO THE FORUM: Should right wing talk radio be banned?

Nope.

How would you ban it?

N/A

Could the Federal Communications Commission carry out the closings?

N/A

Would this be egalitarian?

N/A

Would it make America more "tolerant"?

I doubt it. Mouth breathers will simply find another outlet.

A friend of mine recently asked me why I listened to Michael Savage, Rush or Hannity. I told him that as a Libertarian I listen to all spectrums (while reading CNN.com, Huffington Post, Daily Kos) to build an informed opinion.

I asked him why and he said that since the talkers on the right are anti-Obama they should be arrested, jailed, banned and all right-wing talk radio hosts banned and jailed in full order. When I asked what would replace it, my friends stated: "progressives."

Several of my friends in Dallas also mentioned the same thing: *Jail* Limbaugh, Savage and Hannity, shut down "racist" FOX News and "create real change in our nation. True change. Remove the racist, bigoted right wingers."

QUESTION TO THE FORUM: Should right wing talk radio be banned? How would you ban it? Could the Federal Communications Commission carry out the closings? Would this be egalitarian? Would it make America more "tolerant"?
Progressives who want to silence Fox and Talk, don't believe in free speech. It's as simple as that.
Conservatives want everyone, including progressives to have that right.
Progressives are the least tolerant among us. It's their view of what America should be or no view at all. For them to have their way, they must silence any opposition. They see they are losing the battle and they are getting desperate. They must paint the other side as evil, racist, etc. Free Speech is the enemy in their eyes. They can't win when they try to discredit the right as liars so the must try to make them sit down and shut up. Well, it's not going to happen. America is waking up and Nov. will prove it.

Progressives who want to silence Fox and Talk, don't believe in free speech. It's as simple as that.
Conservatives want everyone, including progressives to have that right.
Progressives are the least tolerant among us. It's their view of what America should be or no view at all. For them to have their way, they must silence any opposition. They see they are losing the battle and they are getting desperate. They must paint the other side as evil, racist, etc. Free Speech is the enemy in their eyes. They can't win when they try to discredit the right as liars so the must try to make them sit down and shut up. Well, it's not going to happen. America is waking up and Nov. will prove it.

Whats funny is that you can scratch out progressive and put conservative in there and still have a true statement :lol: (except for the bold part, politics ebbs and flows)

I guess thats what happens when people only consider the most extreme elements of the opposition.

What was I supposed to see there? It was a non-partison site for parents advocating for responsible entertainment.
It is a right-wing outfit who spends its time bitching to the FCC when it hears about something they deem inappropriate on television.

Whats funny is that you can scratch out progressive and put conservative in there and still have a true statement :lol: (except for the bold part, politics ebbs and flows)

I guess thats what happens when people only consider the most extreme elements of the opposition.

Do you have any proof of conservatives wanting to silence the left? Yes, many of us would like more conservative outlets than we have, but I don't see any advocating silencing the left.
The MSM consists of 90% liberal and 10% conservative, but that's not enough. They want the whole pie.

What was I supposed to see there? It was a non-partison site for parents advocating for responsible entertainment.

And if you look at the action center, they call for the FCC to attack things that they disapprove of.

It is a right-wing outfit who spends its time bitching to the FCC when it hears about something they deem inappropriate on television.

Yea, and the only thing progressives deem inappropriate is Fox news and conservative speech. They don't find anything else, no matter how preverted or vulgar to be more offensive than that.

The true tragedy of this post was that the comments were made by educated, affluent, progressive Liberals in Texas (that I, er, hang out with). When I told them that banned talk radio was tantamount to fascism they commented in the positive that "fascism is needed." I have never heard talk like this before, which is why I posted this. Liberal progressives seem to fulfill Johnah Goldberg's hypothesis of "liberal fascists" who reject free speech, egalitarianism, and the right of disagreement.

"Disagree? With Obama? That should not be allowed" stated a member of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) as he stirred his martini at a local gay bar. When I asked him why we cannot disagree with Obama, he blew a gasket: "... because he's our President! He is our leader. He is right. He suffered under Jim Crow. He marched with Martin Luther King and understands racism. He's faced it! Those on the right need to be arrested and hauled off to re-education camps where they belong!"

Last edited:
Do you have any proof of conservatives wanting to silence the left?

I seem to remember some stuff about criticizing Bush to be the equivelent of treason. Oh and there was the absolute joy when Air America declared bankruptsy. Of course, there are many on this forum, such as Erod or Texmaster who consider the left to the equivelent of evil. There is redstate and free republic who have posted graphics saying basically that life would be 100% better of liberal did not exist.

It happens on both sides, but only with the most extreme elements.

Yes, many of us would like more conservative outlets than we have, but I don't see any advocating silencing the left.

You aren't looking.

The MSM consists of 90% liberal and 10% conservative, but that's not enough. They want the whole pie.

Tad paranoid?

And if you look at the action center, they call for the FCC to attack things that they disapprove of.

OH NO! Those BASTARDS have an opinion on what should be acceptable over the airwaves and demand the FCC do it's JOB! THE HELLS MAN!?!?!

Granted most of them just have sticks up their asses, but that's aside the point. Do they advocate jailing all entertainers that make crap TV?? No? So horse of a different color.

It also said non-partisan. I don't think you have to be a conservative to want to protect your children from filth on TV.

Yea, and the only thing progressives deem inappropriate is Fox news and conservative speech. They don't find anything else, no matter how preverted or vulgar to be more offensive than that.
Yeah, just totally ignore the point I was making ... :roll:

It also said non-partisan. I don't think you have to be a conservative to want to protect your children from filth on TV.

Conservatives claim that 8/28 and the tea party are nonpartisan too, just sayin ...

OH NO! Those BASTARDS have an opinion on what should be acceptable over the airwaves and demand the FCC do it's JOB! THE HELLS MAN!?!?!

Granted most of them just have sticks up their asses, but that's aside the point. Do they advocate jailing all entertainers that make crap TV?? No? So horse of a different color.
So the FCC is free to just abrogate the First Amendment? Neat-o! How about if we set up a Federal Hispanic Commission so we can all insist on the FHC to get rid of all them dirty Messicans?

The true tragedy of this post was that the comments were made by educated, affluent, progressive Liberals in Texas (that I, er, hang out with). When I told them that banned talk radio was tantamount to fascism they commented in the positive that "fascism is needed." I have never heard talk like this before, which is why I posted this. Liberal progressives seem to fulfill Johnah Goldberg's hypothesis of "liberal fascists" who reject free speech, egalitarianism, and the right of disagreement.

"Disagree? With Obama? That should not be allowed" stated a member of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) as he stirred his martini at a local gay bar. When I asked him why we cannot disagree with Obama, he blew a gasket: "... because he's our President! He is our leader. He is right. He suffered under Jim Crow. He marched with Martin Luther King and understands racism. He's faced it! Those on the right need to be arrested and hauled off to re-education camps where they belong!"

I haven't experienced these things to the extent you have.
However, I have had liberal friends tell me Rush should be taken off the air. Unbelievable :-(

No, but they advocate that the government take things off of the air that they deem inappropriate. The constitution makes no distinction between political speech and penis jokes.

I can't think of a single good reason to ban talk radio, no matter what lean the broadcaster has.

I may hate guys like Rush, Hannity and Beck for selling their souls and luring the rest of us to hell with them, but censorship is not the answer.

The answer is better education and an ongoing exchange between Americans from coast to coast about their hopes, dreams and beliefs that is both honest and civilized.

You don't make the world a better place by silencing nutjobs. You make it a better place by ignoring them and circumventing them.

I can't think of a single good reason to ban talk radio, no matter what lean the broadcaster has.

I may hate guys like Rush, Hannity and Beck for selling their souls and luring the rest of us to hell with them, but censorship is not the answer.

The answer is better education and an ongoing exchange between Americans from coast to coast about their hopes, dreams and beliefs that is both honest and civilized.

You don't make the world a better place by silencing nutjobs. You make it a better place by ignoring them and circumventing them.

Exactly. Enlightenment and maturity is going to do far more for this country than censorship.

Please ask your friends if they had these same opinions before the White House declared war on Fox News and consertavie talk radio.

I think a lot of these people are taking their lead from the White House and really don't have opinions of their own.

I also think we should put blankets over the cages of these Obama loving parrots.

I also think we should put blankets over the cages of these Obama loving parrots.

Not getting the allusion. What are you referring to?

Back
Top Bottom