• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

OPINION: Why not ban talk radio?

Oh and there was the absolute joy when Air America declared bankruptsy.

I wish there was an equal number of liberal talk radio shows. Then they could bury the fairness doctrine once and for all. Unfortunately no one listens to it. They get all the liberal talk they can take or need from the MSM.

I wish there was an equal number of liberal talk radio shows. Then they could bury the fairness doctrine once and for all. Unfortunately no one listens to it. They get all the liberal talk they can take or need from the MSM.

I think air america was a fundamental mistake from day one. I listened to their stream when they started but was turned off almost immediately by the hatred.

The true tragedy of this post was that the comments were made by educated, affluent, progressive Liberals in Texas (that I, er, hang out with). When I told them that banned talk radio was tantamount to fascism they commented in the positive that "fascism is needed." I have never heard talk like this before, which is why I posted this. Liberal progressives seem to fulfill Johnah Goldberg's hypothesis of "liberal fascists" who reject free speech, egalitarianism, and the right of disagreement.

"Disagree? With Obama? That should not be allowed" stated a member of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) as he stirred his martini at a local gay bar. When I asked him why we cannot disagree with Obama, he blew a gasket: "... because he's our President! He is our leader. He is right. He suffered under Jim Crow. He marched with Martin Luther King and understands racism. He's faced it! Those on the right need to be arrested and hauled off to re-education camps where they belong!"
:2rofll::2rofll:

:2rofll::2rofll::2rofll:

Obama suffered under Jim Crow, yes in Hawaii.

He marched with MLK when he was a kid, sure.

He understands racism? He learned about it from his wife.

That was funny. Thanks I needed a laugh.

I haven't experienced these things to the extent you have.
However, I have had liberal friends tell me Rush should be taken off the air. Unbelievable :-(
Well hey, anecdotal evidence trumps everything! Might as well close the thread! :roll:

Last edited:
When you put a blanket over a parrots cage they go to sleep.

So you want to silence the liberals than? Isn't that the same sort of problem that the OP was concerned about?

So you want to silence the liberals than? Isn't that the same sort of problem that the OP was concerned about?

Silence the liberals?

No but when somebody is spouting crap tlike this, it is useful to have a tool to stop their mouth.

Conservatives claim that 8/28 and the tea party are nonpartisan too, just sayin ...
So you are saying that site is not non-partisan because no liberal would ever advocate taking filth off TV for the sake of their children. I'm understanding the left more and more each day. :-(

Silence the liberals?

No but when somebody is spouting crap tlike this, it is useful to have a tool to stop their mouth.

Holy contradiction Batman!

So you are saying that site is not non-partisan because no liberal would ever advocate taking filth off TV for the sake of their children. I'm understanding the left more and more each day. :-(

No, I am saying that conservatives often make the mistake of assuming their values are universal and mainstream. They assume their beliefs normal and mainstream when it may be or may not be (it depends on the issue, really). Personally, I am an advocate of responsible parenting when it comes to stuff on TV, I know of many conservatives who also share my view on this topic.

Last edited:
I think air america was a fundamental mistake from day one. I listened to their stream when they started but was turned off almost immediately by the hatred.

Same here. I found it absolutely dreadful.I watch all the progressives on MSNBC and they don't hold a candle to the hate I heard on air America.

Same here. I found it absolutely dreadful.I watch all the progressives on MSNBC and they don't hold a candle to the hate I heard on air America.

I don't watch TV all that much, so I have no idea whats been happening in cable news lately. Nor do I really care.

Mason 66:

Thanks for the comments.

Most of the elite are unfortunately, ignorant of history. Most of them possess Bachelor's and Master's Degree's but are unable to actively engage in normal discussion of politics (or religion) without throwing tantrums. Obama never marched with MLK, he never lived under Jim Crow. Mr. Obama did make racist comments about whites (as did his wife), and his (now deceased) grandmother who he called "a typical white person" which is a racist statement made by then-Sen Obama. Mr. Obama, according to his book, stated that he eagerly "sought out Marxist professors, chicanos and feminists."

I could not vote for Mr. Obama because his writings, lectures and speeches showed him to be racist, anti-Semitic, and intollerant of free speech.

As a Libertarian, Mr. Obama represents a left-wing Marxist paradigm from the 1970's based upon racial segreation and hatred for our nation.

Last edited:
The true tragedy of this post was that the comments were made by educated, affluent, progressive Liberals in Texas (that I, er, hang out with). When I told them that banned talk radio was tantamount to fascism they commented in the positive that "fascism is needed." I have never heard talk like this before, which is why I posted this. Liberal progressives seem to fulfill Johnah Goldberg's hypothesis of "liberal fascists" who reject free speech, egalitarianism, and the right of disagreement.

"Disagree? With Obama? That should not be allowed" stated a member of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) as he stirred his martini at a local gay bar. When I asked him why we cannot disagree with Obama, he blew a gasket: "... because he's our President! He is our leader. He is right. He suffered under Jim Crow. He marched with Martin Luther King and understands racism. He's faced it! Those on the right need to be arrested and hauled off to re-education camps where they belong!"

People like that have no clue what this nation is all about. His opinion has no validity, not a scintilla of truth or credibility about it at all, yet he still has every right to express it. Likewise, Limbaugh, Savage, et. al. are wrong most of the time, yet they have every right to spew all of the drivel that their sponsors are willing to pay for.

Are we to ban talk radio? Why not repeal the first amendment altogether? How about the rest of the Bill of Rights, should we repeal it also?

If the person expressing the above opinion would like to go and live in a Big Brother totalitarian state, then let him. As for me, give me liberty or give me death!
(to paraphrase a great American of the past.)

dittohead,

I agree.

The educated elite do not understand the First Amendment. Banning talk radio screams 1933, Nurnberg.

Yet, that is the *VERY* opinion of many on the left: a kindler, gentler fascism.

Last edited:
Two things I've noticed on this thread:

1. Some on the left seem to be confused, and don't know the difference between advocating for the suppression of obscene speech to protect our children, and trying to suppress political speech that some don't agree with. There is a very big difference.

2. Public airwaves are free radio and free TV (not cable or internet transmissions). Radio is dominated by the conservative viewpoint, just as TV is dominated by the liberal perspective. The Liberals answer to conservative talk is to have them taken off the air or silenced through legislation.... While conservatives simply want more balance on public TV and have never advocated for ABC, NBC or CBS to be taken off the air or silenced by legislation.

I'm just calling them as I see them.

dittohead,

I agree.

The educated elite do not understand the First Amendment. Banning talk radio screams 1933, Nurnberg.

Yet, that is the *VERY* opinion of many on the left: a kindler, gentler fascism.

Exactly, except that your member of the human rights campaign didn't sound very well educated to me. He might have gone to college, or maybe not, but education didn't take if he did.

It doesn't always.

So the FCC is free to just abrogate the First Amendment? Neat-o! How about if we set up a Federal Hispanic Commission so we can all insist on the FHC to get rid of all them dirty Messicans?

More proof Libertarians haven't a clue what the hell they are talking about. AS USUAL.

More proof Libertarians haven't a clue what the hell they are talking about. AS USUAL.
Yep, it was definitely a waste of time responding to the gross ignorance of your post. I'll avoid making that mistake in the future.

A friend of mine recently asked me why I listened to Michael Savage, Rush or Hannity. I told him that as a Libertarian I listen to all spectrums (while reading CNN.com, Huffington Post, Daily Kos) to build an informed opinion.

He then opined that talk radio "was all about hate" and "should be banned".

I asked him why and he said that since the talkers on the right are anti-Obama they should be arrested, jailed, banned and all right-wing talk radio hosts banned and jailed in full order. When I asked what would replace it, my friends stated: "progressives."

Several of my friends in Dallas also mentioned the same thing: *Jail* Limbaugh, Savage and Hannity, shut down "racist" FOX News and "create real change in our nation. True change. Remove the racist, bigoted right wingers."

QUESTION TO THE FORUM: Should right wing talk radio be banned? How would you ban it? Could the Federal Communications Commission carry out the closings? Would this be egalitarian? Would it make America more "tolerant"?

i think you have weird friends.

Things like this, I have heard said. I've even seen them posted here at DP. More than just occasionally.

Did THIS actually happen? I'm having some trouble buying it. Seems a little too "perfect."

Last edited:
A friend of mine recently asked me why I listened to Michael Savage, Rush or Hannity. I told him that as a Libertarian I listen to all spectrums (while reading CNN.com, Huffington Post, Daily Kos) to build an informed opinion.

He then opined that talk radio "was all about hate" and "should be banned".

I asked him why and he said that since the talkers on the right are anti-Obama they should be arrested, jailed, banned and all right-wing talk radio hosts banned and jailed in full order. When I asked what would replace it, my friends stated: "progressives."

Several of my friends in Dallas also mentioned the same thing: *Jail* Limbaugh, Savage and Hannity, shut down "racist" FOX News and "create real change in our nation. True change. Remove the racist, bigoted right wingers."

QUESTION TO THE FORUM: Should right wing talk radio be banned? How would you ban it? Could the Federal Communications Commission carry out the closings? Would this be egalitarian? Would it make America more "tolerant"?

There's no legal way to shut it down, nor should there be. You can't go after talk radio just because you don't like what some of the folk are saying.

Imagine life without Rush Limbaugh,Hannity, Beck, O'Rielly or Fox News.................................................................................................hmmmmmm.............I see Keith Olbermann having a complete meltdown on air trying to come up with something to say.
It might be worth it.

Most of those people are worthless sensationalists and nothing more. Still, you cannot ban them just because their idiots.

Back
Top Bottom