• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Opinion: For Trump, the party's over by Richard n. Bond

btthegreat

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"As the 2022 primary season gets underway, those of us who have long opposed former President Donald Trump may finally begin seeing an end to his reign over the Republican Party....

Trump's standing among Republicans continues to weaken. A recent NBC poll shows a significant decline in his hold on the GOP. While previous surveys showed that up to 54% of Republicans and Republican-leaning voters say they self-identified as supporters of Trump rather than the Republican Party, the new survey shows that 56% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents consider themselves supporters of the GOP. Only 36% consider themselves supporters of the former President -- a significant marker of Trump fatigue."

Now I know pundits have made this claim for 5 years now, but my gut says its finally happening and many Republicans are actually looking for opportunities to distance themselves from his toxic presence and politics. As George Will put it about a year ago, Trump is basically been a circus act for the GOP voter, and he was bound to run out of tricks and schtick. he's become the party bore, seeking constant attention from party goers, demanding everyone stop what they are doing and listen to him. He still owns that third of the party and that is just too much to piss off in most primaries, but the more he uses his political capital to punish Republicans the less he has left. the fact is that Pence is still around bloodied but standing. Lindsey Graham is still here. Mitch McConnell is still Minority Leader and he has not been able to shut down Liz Cheney or Mitt Romney. Fox News is not quite as much of a Trump terrier barking at exactly the Republicans he wants them to bark at - at least not all of Fox News.

Putin's actions have done nothing if not remind Republicans and independents of who he really is, all the lengths Donnie Dark went to, to keep Putin petting him and how petty and insignficant Trump's attacks on NATO now seem in comparison. The world just looks too dangerous a place for Republicans to keep buying his ticket to see clowns and buy cotton candy.

I don't think we should let Republicans walk out of that tent, and wipe off the stamp ink from their wrists though. They bought that ticket, they stayed and watched, cheering when the ringmaster said to, and booing when he liked them to for years. Just because they want to leave, does not mean we should help them find their car.

"As the 2022 primary season gets underway, those of us who have long opposed former President Donald Trump may finally begin seeing an end to his reign over the Republican Party....

Trump's standing among Republicans continues to weaken. A recent NBC poll shows a significant decline in his hold on the GOP. While previous surveys showed that up to 54% of Republicans and Republican-leaning voters say they self-identified as supporters of Trump rather than the Republican Party, the new survey shows that 56% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents consider themselves supporters of the GOP. Only 36% consider themselves supporters of the former President -- a significant marker of Trump fatigue."

Now I know pundits have made this claim for 5 years now, but my gut says its finally happening and many Republicans are actually looking for opportunities to distance themselves from his toxic presence and politics. As George Will put it about a year ago, Trump is basically been a circus act for the GOP voter, and he was bound to run out of tricks and schtick. he's become the party bore, seeking constant attention from party goers, demanding everyone stop what they are doing and listen to him. He still owns that third of the party and that is just too much to piss off in most primaries, but the more he uses his political capital to punish Republicans the less he has left. the fact is that Pence is still around bloodied but standing. Lindsey Graham is still here. Mitch McConnell is still Minority Leader and he has not been able to shut down Liz Cheney or Mitt Romney. Fox News is not quite as much of a Trump terrier barking at exactly the Republicans he wants them to bark at - at least not all of Fox News.

Putin's actions have done nothing if not remind Republicans and independents of who he really is, all the lengths Donnie Dark went to, to keep Putin petting him and how petty and insignficant Trump's attacks on NATO now seem in comparison. The world just looks too dangerous a place for Republicans to keep buying his ticket to see clowns and buy cotton candy.

I don't think we should let Republicans walk out of that tent, and wipe off the stamp ink from their wrists though. They bought that ticket, they stayed and watched, cheering when the ringmaster said to, and booing when he liked them to for years. Just because they want to leave, does not mean we should help them find their car.

Yeah, I know this can make everyone else a little relieved for a little while. But remember: even Trump may go, but his base is still there. This problem is much bigger than just Trump. These are the same folks who voted for GW Bush- TWICE. These are the guys that were cheering on Sarah Palin to be a heartbeat away from the presidency, fer cryin' out loud.

Do you really think even if Trump doesn't win the primaries, the rest of the country can breathe a sigh of relief? Who do you think they are going to nominate? DeSantis? Tucker Carlson? Sarah Palin again? It gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about the possibilities.

Don't plan on anything sane any time soon.

Yeah, I know this can make everyone else a little relieved for a little while. But remember: even Trump may go, but his base is still there. This problem is much bigger than just Trump. These are the same folks who voted for GW Bush- TWICE. These are the guys that were cheering on Sarah Palin to be a heartbeat away from the presidency, fer cryin' out loud.

Do you really think even if Trump doesn't win the primaries, the rest of the country can breathe a sigh of relief? Who do you think they are going to nominate? DeSantis? Tucker Carlson? Sarah Palin again? It gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about the possibilities.

Don't plan on anything sane any time soon.
his 'base' that 30%, is nothing like George Bush's base, so this the GOP'S problem, more than mine. The GOP has to somehow unify to win elections and appeal to independents, and Trump is in no mood for unity that he does not control. Its not going to help in midterms which will be a disaster, but thereafter, I would far rather have the problems of the Democrats in unifying and outreach, than the GOP.

his 'base' that 30%, is nothing like George Bush's base, so this the GOP'S problem, more than mine. The GOP has to somehow unify to win elections and appeal to independents, and Trump is in no mood for unity that he does not control. Its not going to help in midterms which will be a disaster, but thereafter, I would far rather have the problems of the Democrats in unifying and outreach, than the GOP.

Nah- George Bush's base WAS pretty much the Trump base. They just didn't have better options at the time to reflect their real selves. As you can see now, those who may have supported GWB but do not support Trump now are only a tiny, negligible sliver of the former GOP- and pretty much outcasts and pariahs of the party. This IS the real GOP, and has been since the late 1990s with the rise of Fox News and the Gingrich Revolution. They are just finding their voice.

Nah- George Bush's base WAS pretty much the Trump base. They just didn't have better options at the time to reflect their real selves. As you can see now, those who may have supported GWB but do not support Trump now are only a tiny, negligible sliver of the former GOP- and pretty much outcasts and pariahs of the party. This IS the real GOP, and has been since the late 1990s with the rise of Fox News and the Gingrich Revolution. They are just finding their voice.
No it wasn't. Bush was a globalist, who believed in an active foreign policy. Bush was against protectionism, and he was not a white nationalist. Trump comes from the Pat Buchanon strain of republicanism. We don't really know how Trump's decline will impact the relative influence of either wing of republicanism, but we know Donald Trump cares a lot more about himself and his power, than he does the GOP.

No it wasn't. Bush was a globalist, who believed in an active foreign policy. Bush was against protectionism, and he was not a white nationalist. Trump comes from the Pat Buchanon strain of republicanism. We don't really know how Trump's decline will impact the relative influence of either wing of republicanism, but we know Donald Trump cares a lot more about himself and his power, than he does the GOP.

I don’t think before Gingerich, Fox News, and the likes of Glenn back, these folks know that you could behave and act in such ways. This kind of rhetoric and behavior was still considered somewhat socially unacceptable. They’ve made these guys realize there is a better option. Once they realized that, The bush strain of republican party was gone. There were really never that many of them to start with. They were just using all the ignorance and prejudices of the rest of the masses of the party to just try to cut their own taxes. But they beat that stupid angry bowl into such a frenzy it finally jumped the fence and gored them.

Who's Richard n. Bond?

What is this guy talking about?

It's simple enough, we are getting politicians that are pushing Trump's policies without being Trump. This is good thing for the Republican Party, because there are many voters that are turned off by Trump's behavior but held their noses and voted for him anyway, or couldn't stomach voting for him regardless of what his policies were (like me). Stunts like Trump withdrawing his endorsement of a candidate, not because he doesn't believe that the election in 2020 was stolen, but just because he said it's time to move on and focus on the future, probably doesn't help.

you have to admit that an ex-Democrat from Manhattan, who is just an old con man, had a hell of a run manipulating Southern men.

Back
Top Bottom