• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Opinion | Even by 2022 standards, this new Ginni Thomas scandal is bad

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and Virginia Thomas arrive for the State Dinner at The White House on Sept. 20, 2019 .

"It is rare, if not unheard of, for the spouse of a justice to play such a prominent and active role in partisan politics, if only because this might create the potential appearance of impropriety. A judge, of course, is expected to objectively apply the law, without a preconceived commitment to a particular outcome.

It turns out that Thomas not only sat on the board of an organization that promoted the dangerous fiction that the 2020 election was “stolen” from former President Donald Trump through fraud, she also attended the rally attempting to vindicate this paranoid propagandistic fantasy (and said she left before Trump took the stage). All the while, in what might resemble the coordinated efforts of synchronized swimmers, husband and wife seemingly sought to thwart the investigation into the democratically perilous events of Jan. 6. Ginni Thomas signed on to a letter seeking the expulsion of Republican Reps. Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger from the Republican conference for joining the House Jan. 6 investigation committee; Clarence Thomas was the sole dissenter — standing in opposition to the rest of the court, including its three Trump appointees — in a decision allowing for the release of Jan. 6-related documents to said committee."

You guys should ready yourselves for the excuses. They will be Foxonian.

Last I checked marriage vows didn’t include “be held personally responsible for all your spouses actions”

Is she on trial somewhere? I can see Justice Thomas being asked to recuse himself from any trial she’s involved in…but have charges been brought against her?

Last I checked marriage vows didn’t include “be held personally responsible for all your spouses actions”

Is she on trial somewhere? I can see Justice Thomas being asked to recuse himself from any trial she’s involved in…but have charges been brought against her?

Canon 2: A Judge Should Avoid Impropriety and the Appearance of Impropriety in all Activities

(A) Respect for Law. A judge should respect and comply with the law and should act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.

(B) Outside Influence. A judge should not allow family, social, political, financial, or other relationships to influence judicial conduct or judgment. A judge should neither lend the prestige of the judicial office to advance the private interests of the judge or others nor convey or permit others to convey the impression that they are in a special position to influence the judge. A judge should not testify voluntarily as a character witness.

(C) Nondiscriminatory Membership. A judge should not hold membership in any organization that practices invidious discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, or national origin.

Canon 2: A Judge Should Avoid Impropriety and the Appearance of Impropriety in all Activities

(A) Respect for Law. A judge should respect and comply with the law and should act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.

(B) Outside Influence. A judge should not allow family, social, political, financial, or other relationships to influence judicial conduct or judgment. A judge should neither lend the prestige of the judicial office to advance the private interests of the judge or others nor convey or permit others to convey the impression that they are in a special position to influence the judge. A judge should not testify voluntarily as a character witness.

(C) Nondiscriminatory Membership. A judge should not hold membership in any organization that practices invidious discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, or national origin.

Did he do that?

Do you have any evidence that her actions have any influence on his judicial decisions?

Or are you just reaching?

Did he do that?

Do you have any evidence that her actions have any influence on his judicial decisions?

Does her participation in these events convey the impression she is in a special position to influence the judge?

In the interview published Monday, she said that while she did attend the Jan. 6 rally to protest President Biden's election, she left before Donald Trump took the stage at noon, and before rioters broke into the U.S. Capitol.

"I was disappointed and frustrated that there was violence that happened following a peaceful gathering of Trump supporters on the Ellipse," she told the Free Beacon.

The interview was apparently an effort by Mrs. Thomas to deal with critical articles that have appeared recently in The New York Times and the New Yorker, describing her extensive conservative political activities. That has led some to suggest that her husband, Justice Thomas, should recuse himself from issues in which his wife has played a prominent role. Those range from her activities on behalf of Trump to her speeches condemning the Affordable Care Act.

Critics have maintained that Justice Thomas should recuse himself from participating in cases that touch on issues his wife has publicly spoken about, even campaigned about. In January, for instance, the Supreme Court rejected Trump's effort to block a congressional subpoena for White House records related to the events surrounding the certification of the 2020 presidential election, and the Jan. 6 riot. The vote was 8-to-1, with Justice Thomas the lone dissenter. In her interview with the Free Beacon, Mrs. Thomas said she and her husband do not discuss Supreme Court cases "until [the court's] opinion are public --and even then, our discussions have always been very general and limited to public information."

The Code of Judicial Conduct For United States Judges, written by the U.S. Judicial Conference, applies to lower court judges, but at least technically, does not apply to Supreme Court Justices. Though the justices generally try to conform to the code, compliance is not mandatory, and to date the high court has resisted establishing its own code of conduct.

There is, however, a federal recusal statute, which does apply to the Supreme Court. It requires justices to recuse themselves from participating in any case that presents a financial conflict involving close family members. In furtherance of that statute, Supreme Court justices and their spouses are required to file annual financial disclosure forms.

-

This is not new. The controversy over Thomas not recusing himself from cases in which his wife is heavily involved is old news. Thomas is such an ass.

Does her participation in these events convey the impression she is in a special position to influence the judge?
This is a decade or more witch hunt against Justice Thomas.

Just a different flavor.

The guy is not my favorite but he hasn’t seemed to allow HER political activism to influence his rulings over the years. She’s always been politically active - and he’s been rather consistent with his judicial perspective.

I don’t see why that would change now.

This is a decade or more witch hunt against Justice Thomas.

Just a different flavor.

The guy is not my favorite but he hasn’t seemed to allow HER political activism to influence his rulings over the years. She’s always been politically active - and he’s been rather consistent with his judicial perspective.

I don’t see why that would change now.

Does her political activism give the impression she is in a position to influence the judge? As a justice, he should recuse himself from cases where the outcome can effect the causes she is involved in... It DOES NOT MATTER whether she influences his rulings.. It is the APPEARANCE it creates...

Code of Ethics Supreme Court

“Unlike all federal judges, Supreme Court Justices are not required to follow the Code of Conduct for United States judges – a binding code of ethics that ensures neutrality and transparency in our judiciary,”

Did he do that?

Is it necessary to immediately defend your team in this disgusting partisan world we live in?

Does any right leaning person on here besides myself ever objectively look at news stories?

Does her political activism give the impression she is in a position to influence the judge? As a justice, he should recuse himself from cases where the outcome can effect the causes she is involved in... It DOES NOT MATTER whether she influences his rulings.. It is the APPEARANCE it creates...
Do you not realize that she's been politically active his ENTIRE career? Or HOW many times this question has been raised?

(Hint: it started during his Confirmation hearings but was overshadowed by Anita Hill)

This is just the newest iteration of it.

Sometimes I swear, people don't bother to read/know history and think things are 'new' when they aren't.

Do you not realize that she's been politically active his ENTIRE career? Or HOW many times this question has been raised?

(Hint: it started during his Confirmation hearings but was overshadowed by Anita Hill)

This is just the newest iteration of it.

Sometimes I swear, people don't bother to read/know history and think things are 'new' when they aren't.
You don’t think there is a problem with a SCOTUS Judge being married to a cow who supports over throwing the elected President?

Is it necessary to immediately defend your team in this disgusting partisan world we live in?

Does any right leaning person on here besides myself ever objectively look at news stories?
I seem to be the only one recognizing that this is a decades-long debate when it comes to Thomas. This is just the latest iteration.

Ginni Thomas didn't SUDDENLY become involved in political discourse in 2020-2021. She's been actively involved her entire career...and this question has been looming since his confirmation hearing.

The Senate confirmed Justice Thomas with it KNOWN that his wife, Ginni, was actively involved in politics. We get what we get because of that.

Do I think that she influences his decisions? No. I think he's made consistent judicial rulings his entire career - and that they've always been rather "originalist". I don't think he's going to change that course suddenly in 2022.

You don’t think there is a problem with a SCOTUS Judge being married to a cow who supports over throwing the elected President?
I just find it amusing that people are SUDDENLY realizing that Justice Thomas's wife is actively involved in politics.

As though this is something new.

On a related case before the court involving trump after these events, the vote was 8-1, with Thomas the only one voting for trump. Ya.

The insurrection is fairly new and a major escalation in her activities.
Did I miss where she stormed the Capitol?

Last I checked, she was outside and left before things got out of hand.

Or are you party to some groundbreaking footage that shows Ginni carrying a pulpit or being inside the building that you’ve been withholding from the 1/6 Committee?

So, what are the odds anything of significance will come of this?

Did I miss where she stormed the Capitol?

Last I checked, she was outside and left before things got out of hand.

Or are you party to some groundbreaking footage that shows Ginni carrying a pulpit or being inside the building that you’ve been withholding from the 1/6 Committee?
She supported the “Stop the steal”. She had no business attending a rally that would inevitably turn violent and deadly. She supports the over throw of the American government. Thomas either needs to divorce her or step down.

She supported the “Stop the steal”. She had no business attending a rally that would inevitably turn violent and deadly. She supports the over throw of the American government. Thomas either needs to divorce her or step down.
Ok. Good luck with that.

She didn’t break any laws, she isn’t on trial.

Must be a slow news cycle.

Back
Top Bottom