• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Operation save planet

So let me get this right. Because civilization is advancing, it means nobody should complain and try to make things better for those that are the worst off?

You seem to oppose the end of the biofuel crime against humanity so it is strange to see you talk about trying to make things better for the poor...

All of the proposed actions against climate change hurt the poor most. The rich wil get richer from all of them.

You seem to oppose the end of the biofuel crime against humanity so it is strange to see you talk about trying to make things better for the poor...

Members are posting messages from a computer made out of wood by the Amish - or are all committing a biofuel crime against humanity? :roll:

All human societies and organizations are tribal, everywhere and always. I lived for 18 years outside the US, and traveled abroad extensively even when based here. The fundamental characteristic of tribalism -- who speaks is more important than what is said -- remains fully in force.
The rest of the research you cite is unfortunately of the "water is wet" variety and confirms the truth conveyed in countless popular songs: money can't buy me love, or happiness.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[h=1]Climate Doom Ahead? Think Twice.[/h][FONT=&quot]From Real Clear Energy By Charles N. Steele December 26, 2018 It’s one word – but it could change the course of the world for decades to come. Discussion at the UN climate change talks held in Katowice, Poland recently reached a stalemate. The issue? A report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)…
Continue reading →
[/FONT]

They also confirm (again unsurprisingly) that exposure to advertising and consumer signals tends to orient people towards money/materialism at the expense of social wellbeing and happiness. Which is what I initially said and you instantly dismissed as 'fantasy piled on fantasy':

"what is now approaching almost 24/7 bombardment with advertising and consumerist/materialist culture and values does pretty much fit the trajectory of "abandonment of those enlightenment ideals" and much of our fundamentally human characteristics. . . .
It is axiomatic that a content person has nothing they want to buy, after all, meaning that the overall impetus of marketing strategies in our societies must tend towards promoting an endless ladder of dissatisfaction, and we need only look at the millionaires who still want more and the billionaires who still want more and the mega-billionaires who still want more to see how that works out.
"

That's because it is fantasy if you're looking for a new influence on human nature. It's not new, and neither is the desire to acquire.

There is nothing to connect relative wealth to environment impact. By implication or otherwise.

That's because it is fantasy if you're looking for a new influence on human nature. It's not new, and neither is the desire to acquire.

I never said that it was "new" - even the ancient Egyptians used papyrus to advertise slave sales. Seems you're trying to retrospectively create a strawman as some kind of cover for the obvious error of your knee-jerk reaction.

There is nothing to connect relative wealth to environment impact. By implication or otherwise.

That might be the case if you suppose that people cut down forests with no aim in mind, kill large numbers of fish and animals - sometimes to the point of extinction - for no reason at all and disperse pollutants just for the fun of it. The reality however is that some 99.99% of those things are not done pointlessly; they're economic activities, and it's primarily the people gaining and spending the most money who are engaged in or commissioning them. It's probably not a direct 1:1 relationship, since one of the biggest sources of environmental impact is agriculture and poorer people need to eat too; although even there, wealthier folk eat (and waste) both more and more impactful (more meat) food per person than the world's poorest. But in terms of big houses, furniture, electronics, cars, planes, yachts and holiday resorts, it's indisputable that the wealthiest folk commission far more land clearance, logging, quarrying, mining, factory work, carbon emissions and disruption of natural habitats than the average global citizen... and the middle classes in rich countries aren't all that far behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_footprint

I never said that it was "new" - even the ancient Egyptians used papyrus to advertise slave sales. Seems you're trying to retrospectively create a strawman as some kind of cover for the obvious error of your knee-jerk reaction.

No. My point is that modern marketing poses no problem.

Keep in mind - twice today's population with half the footprint would be equivalent to today's population with today's footprint. That said, I would prefer today's population, with half the footprint - that would be a great start.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…