• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Op-Ed: Racist?

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Racist, what does that even mean anymore? I always pictured white nationalists and any number of those hate groups to be 'hard' racists and individual slip-ups as prejudiced missteps, not full-blown racism.

Everyone, including minorities, is biased towards the culture and ethnicity they're born, grown into, and identify with. I like my suburban, predominately, middle-class culture because I'm familiar with it, I like it more than other cultures. And by god, we are allowed the right to choose what we like. I don't believe in denigrating other races and find many things about their ways that I do like. What I don't like is simply a matter of taste and personal opinion. I believe in the variety that diversity brings and that it should be celebrated, not forced on others.

But I do NOT like or dislike people because of skin color, ethnicity, or physical characteristics they can't control. That makes utterly no sense. And I don't hate people that do, I pity their ignorance. Many police forces have a systemic problem with allowing profiling to bias their views and treatment of suspects. Though that's a small percentage, it needs to be addressed with better training and procedures. And it will never be perfect.

Constantly calling other people 'racist' doesn't absolve you from making your own prejudiced missteps. Self- admittance, and forgiveness do. Because if we're being honest, we've all made these errors, either that or you're a deluded glory-hound. I guess that's why by today's standards, everyone is practically a racist which is meaningless.

Let's turn down the sensitivity dial, stop pointing fingers and virtue signaling to boost our own sense of moral clarity, and try a little more tolerance. Who can verbally be the nastiest about imposing their self-righteous ideas is the epitome of false pride and source of conflict.

Billy Joel — 'I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun.'

Racist, what does that even mean anymore? I always pictured white nationalists and any number of those hate groups to be 'hard' racists and individual slip-ups as prejudiced missteps, not full-blown racism.

Everyone, including minorities, is biased towards the culture and ethnicity they're born, grown into, and identify with. I like my suburban, predominately, middle-class culture because I'm familiar with it, I like it more than other cultures. And by god, we are allowed the right to choose what we like. I don't believe in denigrating other races and find many things about their ways that I do like. What I don't like is simply a matter of taste and personal opinion. I believe in the variety that diversity brings and that it should be celebrated, not forced on others.

But I do NOT like or dislike people because of skin color, ethnicity, or physical characteristics they can't control. That makes utterly no sense. And I don't hate people that do, I pity their ignorance. Many police forces have a systemic problem with allowing profiling to bias their views and treatment of suspects. Though that's a small percentage, it needs to be addressed with better training and procedures. And it will never be perfect.

Constantly calling other people 'racist' doesn't absolve you from making your own prejudiced missteps. Self- admittance, and forgiveness do. Because if we're being honest, we've all made these errors, either that or you're a deluded glory-hound. I guess that's why by today's standards, everyone is practically a racist which is meaningless.

Let's turn down the sensitivity dial, stop pointing fingers and virtue signaling to boost our own sense of moral clarity, and try a little more tolerance. Who can verbally be the nastiest about imposing their self-righteous ideas is the epitome of false pride and source of conflict.

Billy Joel — 'I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun.'

This is the problem: you have a tolerance for “this much” racism while pretending the violent stuff is a bridge too far. It’s all connected.

Telling Black people to dial down their sensitivities regarding racism in our country is precisely why sensitivities are where they are.

What is this summation even supposed to mean? A little racism is okay? Who are the “sinners” in this scenario? Racists?

This is the problem: you have a tolerance for “this much” racism while pretending the violent stuff is a bridge too far. It’s all connected.

Telling Black people to dial down their sensitivities regarding racism in our country is precisely why sensitivities are where they are.

I agree that oppression, which applies to the black community, is a cause of violence. But 200 yrs of it won't disappear overnight. And too much violence destroys everyone.

I was telling all people to turn down the rhetoric.

What is this summation even supposed to mean? A little racism is okay? Who are the “sinners” in this scenario? Racists?

It means everyone is a sinner (guilty of racism), just some *think* they aren't.

It means everyone is a sinner (guilty of racism), just some *think* they aren't.

I don’t think anyone believes that except white folks who think a little racism is okay every now and then.

I agree that oppression, which applies to the black community, is a cause of violence. But 200 yrs of it won't disappear overnight. And too much violence destroys everyone.

I was telling all people to turn down the rhetoric.

But why would you tell victims to turn down their rhetoric? Should they continue to be victims? You know, this idea that Black people need to stfu about racism because it makes whites angry is part of the problem.

How much oppression is okay for you and yours? Some? A little? More or less on weekends?

I don’t think anyone believes that except white folks who think a little racism is okay every now and then.

Because racism only affects blacks?

Last edited:

I'm curious what you define as suburban, predominately, middle-class culture.

I'm sure that minorities that experience racism appreciate white people telling them how much racism is acceptable to white people.

But why would you tell victims to turn down their rhetoric? Should they continue to be victims? You know, this idea that Black people need to stfu about racism because it makes whites angry is part of the problem.

How much oppression is okay for you and yours? Some? A little? More or less on weekends?

I'm telling mostly finger pointers to try and relent on the name-calling. And even the oppressed victims can do more harm than good with violence. Or is doing harm your primary goal?
What do you think would be an appropriate response to the plight of minorities, or is it only a black problem?

I'm curious what you define as suburban, predominately, middle-class culture.

How many descriptors do you need? You do know the middle class isn't just made up of whites?

I'm telling mostly finger pointers to try and relent on the name-calling. And even the oppressed victims can do more harm than good with violence. Or is doing harm your primary goal?
What do you think would be an appropriate response to the plight of minorities, or is it only a black problem?

You keep defining down people’s plight as “finger pointers” and you can’t seem to connect that with folks anger at racism.

YEs, racism is only a Black problem in this country. Yup yup yup.

How many descriptors do you need? You do know the middle class isn't just made up of whites?

Wow, I didn't say it was at all.

I guess the culture you like more than others (not just white people!) must not be that easy to explain.

It's a good post and an interesting question.

However I wouldn't pay any attention to what Aunt Antifa and Mr. Person has to say on the subject. Those two (and people like them) wore out their racist card a long time ago.

Huh, I don't know what you're talking about.

White people aren’t affected by racism. Black people are. Thus it’s pretty easy for whtie folks to take an attitude of telling the whole class to simmer down.

It's a good post and an interesting question.

However I wouldn't pay any attention to what Aunt Antifa and Mr. Person has to say on the subject. Those two (and people like them) wore out their racist card a long time ago.

They want a war and that would be terrible for everyone.

White people aren’t affected by racism. Black people are. Thus it’s pretty easy for whtie folks to take an attitude of telling the whole class to simmer down.

I'll ask what you think the solution is?

A predominantly white suburb is an artificial world created by government policy, banking practices and social attitudes. But it doesn't really reflect the real world. Kind of a fantasy enclave. It has had a profound effect on the wealth gap based on race in this country. One doesn't have to give up their culture, whatever that means, when they integrate a community. The experience is enriching because it broadens one understanding of the world. we live in. Members of Diverse community tend to find that they have more in common with one another than one might realize, while obtaining a greater appreciation for those differences.

Listen and seek to understand diverse forces that are not of the dominate culture. Oddly it is liberating - freedom from dominance is still freedom.

Huge loaded question, but I can promise you the solution is *not* defining down racism to make white folks feel better about it.

Most on the left care very little about black people but they very much care about keeping that 90% black vote for Dems intact, thus they stoke the narrative that white Republicans are all a bunch of racists and only Democrats are the good guys.

Like, the only argument conservatives ever make in these threads is that the problem with racism is that there is no racism.

Back
Top Bottom