• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Only property owners should vote

Should owning property be a requirement to vote

• yes, only property owners should vote

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • no, let everyone vote

Votes: 76 92.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
When George Washington was elected only 6% of the population could vote because you had to be a white male property owner over the age of 21. It wasn't until 1856 that the vote was expanded to include all white men. In 1868 black men got the vote and finally in 1920 women got the right to vote . It wasn't until 1972 that the voting age was lowered to 18 and the steady dumbing down of the voter pool was complete. Before people start screaming racist and misogynist that is not my point here. I'm fine with all races and women voting but we never should have dropped the property owner requirement and never should have lowered the voting age to 18. When you have reached a point in your life where you own property you have demonstrated the ability to participate in this society in a contributing way but the main thing is you have skin in the game. At this point you want America to be a stable functioning country that is prosperous and has an effective economy where your hard work will be rewarded and safe guarded. Kids and non property owners are going to vote on and for different issues than they will or would when they are a participating member of our economy and should not be allowed to vote until they do more than hang around the fringes. The extreme example of this is people on welfare voting and kids in school who have never had a job in their lives. These people have nothing to lose and everything to gain by voting against a thriving economy and for give away programs to benefit them and will vote in their own self interest instead of considering what is best for the country at large. IMO we should reinstate the original voting requirement of being a property owner.

Last edited:
When George Washington was elected only 6% of the population could vote because you had to be a white male property owner over the age of 21. It wasn't until 1856 that the vote was expanded to include all white men. In 1868 black men got the vote and finally in 1920 women got the right to vote and in 1856 North Carolina was the last state to drop the property ownership requirement. It wasn't until 1972 that the voting age was lowered to 18 and the steady dumbing down of the voter pool was complete. Before people start screaming racist and misogynist that is not my point here. I'm fine with all races and women voting but we never should have dropped the property owner requirement and never should have lowered the voting age to 18. When you have reached a point in your life where you own property you have demonstrated the ability to participate in this society in a contributing way but the main thing is you have skin in the game. At this point you want America to be a stable functioning country that is prosperous and has an effective economy where your hard work will be rewarded and safe guarded. Kids and non property owners are going to vote on and for different issues than they will or would when they are a participating member of our economy and should not be allowed to vote until they do more than hang around the fringes. The extreme example of this is people on welfare voting and kids in school who have never had a job in their lives. These people have nothing to lose and everything to gain by voting against a thriving economy and for give away programs to benefit them and will vote in their own self interest instead of considering what is best for the country at large. IMO we should reinstate the original voting requirement of being a property owner.

What a load of crap!

I'm not sure that voters should only be property owners, but I'd certainly entertain the idea that only tax payers should be allowed to vote in federal elections. (After passing a one-time literacy test.) I think that no more than 25% of adults should typically be engaged in voting in federal elections. No one ignorant of the issues should ever vote as a matter of conscience.

When George Washington was elected only 6% of the population could vote because you had to be a white male property owner over the age of 21. It wasn't until 1856 that the vote was expanded to include all white men. In 1868 black men got the vote and finally in 1920 women got the right to vote . It wasn't until 1972 that the voting age was lowered to 18 and the steady dumbing down of the voter pool was complete. Before people start screaming racist and misogynist that is not my point here. I'm fine with all races and women voting but we never should have dropped the property owner requirement and never should have lowered the voting age to 18. When you have reached a point in your life where you own property you have demonstrated the ability to participate in this society in a contributing way but the main thing is you have skin in the game. At this point you want America to be a stable functioning country that is prosperous and has an effective economy where your hard work will be rewarded and safe guarded. Kids and non property owners are going to vote on and for different issues than they will or would when they are a participating member of our economy and should not be allowed to vote until they do more than hang around the fringes. The extreme example of this is people on welfare voting and kids in school who have never had a job in their lives. These people have nothing to lose and everything to gain by voting against a thriving economy and for give away programs to benefit them and will vote in their own self interest instead of considering what is best for the country at large. IMO we should reinstate the original voting requirement of being a property owner.

Don't be silly - most people don't own property because they live in places where THERE'S NO PROPERTY TO OWN. Whereas some own a lot of property but it doesn't mean ANYTHING. Property is just something (CARS and HOMES, by the way, are both PROPERTY - OI!). . . doesn't matter.

Lame point, hollow belief, don't boost yourself up too much with that fluffiness. It doesn't mean anything about YOU.

Moving on.

I'm not sure that voters should only be property owners, but I'd certainly entertain the idea that only tax payers should be allowed to vote in federal elections. (After passing a one-time literacy test.) I think that no more than 25% of adults should typically be engaged in voting in federal elections. No one ignorant of the issues should ever vote as a matter of conscience.

Literacy test were tried in the late 1800s and were immediately labeled racist and thrown out.

What a load of crap!

Certainly persons who can't form rational political statements in complete sentences and presenting valid arguments ought never vote. But that's obvious to the casual observer.

Certainly persons who can't form rational political statements in complete sentences and presenting valid arguments ought never vote. But that's obvious to the casual observer.

All US citizens have the RIGHT to vote.

... do people who are paying down their houses or who rent count as property owners?

If we are imposing meritocratic systems, we can do a lot better than making the right to vote exclusive to property owners.

What a load of crap!

Literacy test were tried in the late 1800s and were immediately labeled racist and thrown out.

Naturally. Already by that time, the political parties knew the value of directing illiterates and semi-literates to vote according to instruction. Literacy requirements spoil the game.

Last edited:

Because they were. They were purposely designed to disenfranchise blacks from voting, at least in the South.

You are reacting emotionally instead of intellectually. If you think something is crap, explain why.

I don't take this seriously at all. Thank goodness we all have rights, and anyone who wants to restrict another American's rights is a traitor to America and its people. If this is a personal suggestion of your's, then you are no better than the gun banners.

What a load of crap!

All US citizens have the RIGHT to vote.

No, actually they don't. Minors and convicted felons are barred generally. I merely posit that the educationally deficient and those living as public burdens be included in the disenfranchised classes. This is merely a reasonable measure. Or would you suggest that people who don't understand wht they're doing should be allowed to engage in complex and dangerous tasks generally?

Renters no, paying a mortgage yes.

No, there are plenty of morons who pay a mortgage. What the heck do you think contributed to the recession? Idiots taking out mortgages that they couldn't really afford.

I don't take this seriously at all. Thank goodness we all have rights, and anyone who wants to restrict another American's rights is a traitor to America and its people. If this is a personal suggestion of your's, then you are no better than the gun banners.

So in your opinion convicted felons, the insane and retarded people should vote?

Skin in the game.

People who don't own property also pay taxes, income taxes, sales taxes, etc.

Oh and also renters help those home owners pay off their mortgages.

So you look at people who don't own property as second hand citizens?

Second hand? :lol: I would say he thinks of them as second class citizens perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom