• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Only-in-winter stories pass on Ojibwe spiritual teachings

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From Associated Press

GRAND PORTAGE, Minn. (AP) — The two-dozen schoolchildren sat in a circle for about an hour, enthralled, as Gordon Jourdain regaled them with tales of the Creator and the origins of their Ojibwe people. As the session wound down, one boy raised his hand and asked, to a chorus of giggles, “How did girls come to be on the planet?”

The storyteller at first kept a serious face as he told them a full answer would take hours to recount. Then he cracked a broad smile.

“The first was Mother Earth, and isn’t she beautiful?” Jourdain enthused, urging them to look outside at the sunshine sparkling on 24 inches of pristine snow, among fir-covered hills overlooking a small bay on a frozen Lake Superior.

The classroom scene at Oshki Ogimaag charter elementary school in this far-northern Minnesota village highlighted the crucial role that oral storytelling plays in Ojibwe spiritual tradition, as is the case with other Native American peoples. Believed to be in itself a gift from the Creator, the ritual telling of creation, spirits and ceremonies helps keep cultural worldviews, ethical teachings and religious experiences alive across generations.

COMMENT:-

I wonder how long it is going to take the "Freedom FROM Religion" people to file a law suit to have this unconstitutional teaching of religion banned.​

I often used Native American stories in the classroom. Much can be learned from their heritage. Here's a link you might enjoy browsing - Native American Legends :)

I often used Native American stories in the classroom. Much can be learned from their heritage. Here's a link you might enjoy browsing - Native American Legends :)
I sure hope that you don't use any of their "creation" stories because that is "religion" and "religion" is not to be tolerated in the schools of the United States of America.

At least some people think so.

Back
Top Bottom