• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Only in Canada

In NYS , there was one fatality in over 100 years, and that was someone who saw the bear, panic, and got most of her children inside, but not the infant .

Oh wow, that's pretty damn terrible...

The interesting thing here, is if you've ever picked-up a cat in this manner, the way they go limp is quite remarkable. It doesn't seem to hurt them, but when done right the paralysis is pretty profound.

Funny to hear it referred to as paralysis.
They go limp because for them, Mama is picking them up.
"Relax, Mama's got you, you're safe."
Sometimes I have to pick up Fiona that way, but sometimes she just lets me scoop her up in my arms like a human baby.
I also sometimes push her down when we're in bed and it's late and she's snooping. I just push her down the way a mama cat would and start petting her in a way that reminds her of being groomed.
Seems like she instinctively knows that Poppa cat is in charge.

Much of Canada does seem beautiful. I worked in photo finishing when I was young, and I used to always see picture of Butchart Gardens, which is a lovely place. It would be
nice to get up to Canada one day. And seeing the Northern Lights (as opposed to smoking it) is on my to do list, before I die.
aurora-over-prince-of-wales-museum.jpg

Yellowknife, Northwest Territory. The lights reflected on Great Slave Lake.
Imagine being in the boat that pic was taken from? They'd be moving, waving. I saw the aurora many times when I lived in the Yukon but I've never seen anything like that picture. The lights, the stars, the flat water...

I'm from Manitoba where polar bears tell black bears 'hold my beer' when it comes to taking out humans. Doesn't happen often, but polar bears really have no fear of people. You can scare a black bear away usually, but a polar bear just sees us as lunch.

Size comparison:

00rmluw8x7h51.jpg
I've never seen a polar bear (yet!) but we were coming down the Inside Passage once years ago and my wife saw one of these...
images (2).jpeg
She was alone on the deck of the BC ferry Queen of the North. We were passing close through a narrow strait when the Kermode came onto the beach out of the bush. According to the local natives It's good luck to see one.

View attachment 67321018

Yellowknife, Northwest Territory. The lights reflected on Great Slave Lake.
Imagine being in the boat that pic was taken from? They'd be moving, waving. I saw the aurora many times when I lived in the Yukon but I've never seen anything like that picture. The lights, the stars, the flat water...

That is awesome! I don't think I'd ever want it to end.

Funny to hear it referred to as paralysis.
They go limp because for them, Mama is picking them up.
"Relax, Mama's got you, you're safe."
Sometimes I have to pick up Fiona that way, but sometimes she just lets me scoop her up in my arms like a human baby.
I also sometimes push her down when we're in bed and it's late and she's snooping. I just push her down the way a mama cat would and start petting her in a way that reminds her of being groomed.
Seems like she instinctively knows that Poppa cat is in charge.
Oh, I indeed believe it's paralysis!

It's been a long time, a really long time since I had or picked-up a cat. But, back when I first did it - I tried to see how 'paralyzed' the thing was. I was blown away. When held appropriately, they literally cannot move, cannot defend themselves. You can poke them all you want, they won't respond.

From my (childhood) memory of this, the paralysis was pretty damn profound! It did not appear to be 'psychological' or 'behavioral'. Why the hell would a strange cat that never encountered you before, go limp for you? It makes no sense.

It's been a long time, a really long time since I had or picked-up a cat. But, back when I first did it - I tried to see how 'paralyzed' the thing was. I was blown away. When held appropriately, they literally cannot move, cannot defend themselves. You can poke them all you want, they won't respond.

From my (childhood) memory of this, the paralysis was pretty damn profound! It did not appear to be 'psychological' or 'behavioral'. Why the hell would a strange cat that never encountered you before, go limp for you? It makes no sense.
That's how you get a cat into a travel kennel to go to the vet. Put the kennel door side up, lift the cat up by the scruff of the neck and drop them right in.

Anyone who's seen Revenant has an idea how badly that can go.

That, I haven't seen. But I always was told told the most dangerous bear to go near, was a cub (due to their mommas)!

That's how you get a cat into a travel kennel to go to the vet. Put the kennel door side up, lift the cat up by the scruff of the neck and drop them right in.

And, do you believe that hold 'paralyzes' them? I believe it does. Somehow, it seems to totally restrict their movement.

And, do you believe that hold 'paralyzes' them? I believe it does. Somehow, it seems to totally restrict their movement.
I think it's instinctive, a holdover from kitten days when their mother would do it to move them. I could try it on my girlfriend and see if humans have the same response.

Be right back. Maybe.

I think it's instinctive, a holdover from kitten days when their mother would do it to move them. I could try it on my girlfriend and see if humans have the same response.

Be right back. Maybe.

:p

That man is lucky he still has a face with a big nose on it.
Can be done perhaps with a Canadian lynx (average 8-10 kgs fully grown), not with the local variety here though (often 15 kg).

But shooting them here (Spain) is not an option either, they're a protected species.

It's not a wise way to handle a cat. While used to it as a kitten when cat mom does it, a human doing it to an adult cat causes distress to the cat.

It's not a wise way to handle a cat. While used to it as a kitten when cat mom does it, a human doing it to an adult cat causes distress to the cat.
Yeah - despite the technique's apparent efficacy, my concern would be possible causing pain or distress in the feline. It was a technique tried when were kids, but not since.

Agree and I only do it for the cat's trips to the vet, as the struggle to get them into the kennel any other way would be more stressful, for both of us.

Agree and I only do it for the cat's trips to the vet, as the struggle to get them into the kennel any other way would be more stressful, for both of us.
Oh, in such cases I do it as well. It's only a brief moment and, I agree, better than lengthy exercises in Jiu-jitsu.;)

It it is between myself, and having to worry about a lynx, I won't worry about it. It's better than getting injured myself.

It it is between myself, and having to worry about a lynx, I won't worry about it. It's better than getting injured myself.
I would have found means and methods to scare the living daylights out of that lynx and make it develop chem-trails as it scarpers. Not a difficult thing to do with lynx anyway.

Touch it even?

Never!

If it weren't for the paralysis feature, I wouldn't want to be a mom cat picking up kittens.

Strange that the feature doesn't disappear with age.

It's not normal, but a pack (family) of coyote will take down a larger dog or even a horse.
We weren't about to invite them in. :) They did scatter when she barked. My guess is they took the path of least resistance.

We weren't about to invite them in. :) They did scatter when she barked. My guess is they took the path of least resistance.

They are opportunistic. If you are walking a small pet, especially a puppy, in open space surrounded by urban area, one will distract you just for some seconds while another snatches the puppy in a flash and runs off with the puppy it its jowls, w/o you hardly seeing it happen.

Not in Canada, but we've been watching an owl's nest for a little while. Today I saw the mom and baby (huge baby) outside of and away from the next for the first time. Ducks are common at this time of year, but also saw a merganser, which I think is the first I've seen around here. And a beaver! This is all along what is really just an irrigation canal that has water only in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom