• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Only in Canada

The black bear was focused on eating berries. We never got out of the truck. As for the grizzly bear the park rangers were trying to get it to move away. It was at Lake Morraine near Lake Louise

In the truck is a whole lot safer. I've never been there but its a very beautiful area, from the pictures I've seen.

In the truck is a whole lot safer. I've never been there but its a very beautiful area, from the pictures I've seen.

It is quite beautiful, I live in Calgary so i have been there a lot over the years

It is quite beautiful, I live in Calgary so i have been there a lot over the years

Much of Canada does seem beautiful. I worked in photo finishing when I was young, and I used to always see picture of Butchart Gardens, which is a lovely place. It would be
nice to get up to Canada one day. And seeing the Northern Lights (as opposed to smoking it) is on my to do list, before I die.

Much closer than I'd like to get to bears. The fox I mentioned running down our sidewalk was probably 10-15 feet away, but he seemed to be on a mission and glanced at us & kept going.
Not nearly as scary as a bear.
The closest I was to a bear face to face without being in a car was less than 6 feet. I was taking a photo of her (she was a young momma with a bear cub off in the woods), and I decieded to scope up my then elderly cat and go inside.
007_4_0001.jpg

The closest I was to a bear face to face without being in a car was less than 6 feet. I was taking a photo of her (she was a young momma with a bear cub off in the woods), and I decieded to scope up my then elderly cat and go inside.
View attachment 67320883

Yikes. A bear with a cub and you're only 6 feet away? And lucky for your cat you were there.

Coolest experience we had was listening to coyotes in the middle of the night, windows open. We noticed that they reacted to the near by fire department's sirens by calling out. So one night they heard the sirens, started howling. Then we heard some heavier footsteps, soon after we could hear some pups right outside our window, sniffing and going about. Then Lovebug made herself known and they rushed away.

Betty Boop thinks the coyotes are giving singing lessons.
And boy howdy does she ever join in!
Of course, she also joins in when she sees or hears dogs on TV, even cartoon dogs.
Betty barking TV set322.jpg

Yikes. A bear with a cub and you're only 6 feet away? And lucky for your cat you were there.
I was standing on my . She got curious and started approving, so I figured discretion was the better part of valor and went inside. She was not aggressive and mainly curious, but why take a chance? She was small for an adult bear, probably about 150 pounds or so. The old male I almost hit with my car was probably over 500. It would not have done my car any good if I hit him (and he was running fast). Needless to say, my words invoked the sacred manure for at least a few minutes after that happened.

Betty Boop thinks the coyotes are giving singing lessons.
And boy howdy does she ever join in!
Of course, she also joins in when she sees or hears dogs on TV, even cartoon dogs.
View attachment 67320887
Too cute. Lots of toys and doggie entertainment surely shouldn't lead me to conclude that the beauty is spoiled, right?

Too cute. Lots of toys and doggie entertainment surely shouldn't lead me to conclude that the beauty is spoiled, right?

OMG yes, she is totally spoiled. She would be a horrible watchdog because she thinks she's a tiny yapping lap dog, a 35 pound 2 ft at the shoulder lap dog.

OMG yes, she is totally spoiled. She would be a horrible watchdog because she thinks she's a tiny yapping lap dog, a 35 pound 2 ft at the shoulder lap dog.
Speaking of...Lovebug thought of herself as a lap dog. Oh yeah, and most days she'd be occupying the couch as we sat on the carpet.

The real surprise to most people is actually our CATS.
Every cat we've ever had has been very affectionate, even to strangers.
The remaining cat we have now is a female tuxedo cat named Fiona and she also will come over to a stranger and jump in their lap or rub their leg, and she accepts petting and even belly rubs. (for a limited amt of time ha ha)

View attachment 67320883

Getting close to a momma bear with a cub sounds like a dangerous proposition!

It's more like she came up to me... like I said, she was in curious mode. I did NOT approach her.

It's more like she came up to me... like I said, she was in curious mode. I did NOT approach her.

Yep. Momma + cub(s) is nothing I want to get close to!

I have been 20 feet from a black bear, 100 feet from a grizzly bear. Had mountain goats two feet from my truck.

Exshaw and Highway 2a from Calgary to Canmore is great to see big horm sheep. The highway from banff to jasper will let you see lots of Elk. The road from Jasper to Hinton lots of Mountain Goats

Completely unrelated to your post is the mention of Banff in the old show, "F Troop".

There was a thief at large called the "Burglar of Banf-f-f.

I remember when that came out. Desperation !

The bears up in canada are not as polite and the NY bears.

Nah, they're miserable pricks. There were a few times I had to turn around and walk home from my school bus pickup spot because there were bears there... Idiot school board put my bus stop by our road's garbage drop off (we lived waaaay in the sticks, no pickup at the end of the driveway, you brought your garbage to a dumpster in the middle of a forest with a bit of road through it...lol) I guess the garbage looked tastier than I did. It stopped being overly scary by about the third time. I'd have been maybe 8 or 9 at the time...lol...

My wife got chased out of the woods near Banff by a grizzly. She thought honey peanuts were a good hiking snack. Thankfully she left them where she was chilling.

I think most rural Canadians have a bear story or two, or at least have heard one from someone they know well...hehe...

Nah, they're miserable pricks. There were a few times I had to turn around and walk home from my school bus pickup spot because there were bears there... Idiot school board put my bus stop by our road's garbage drop off (we lived waaaay in the sticks, no pickup at the end of the driveway, you brought your garbage to a dumpster in the middle of a forest with a bit of road through it...lol) I guess the garbage looked tastier than I did. It stopped being overly scary by about the third time. I'd have been maybe 8 or 9 at the time...lol...

My wife got chased out of the woods near Banff by a grizzly. She thought honey peanuts were a good hiking snack. Thankfully she left them where she was chilling.

I think most rural Canadians have a bear story or two, or at least have heard one from someone they know well...hehe...
Grizzly bears in general are bigger and meaner than black bear to being with, and I think the black bear in NYS are just use to more people about.

Grizzly bears in general are bigger and meaner than black bear to being with, and I think the black bear in NYS are just use to more people about.

Yeah...I've never come across a Grizzly, never been out west where they live. 300lb black bears are pretty common in Ontario, though, especially when you go north a bit. They can be miserable bastards too - usually at least one person gets taken out by one every year.

Anyone who's seen Revenant has an idea how badly that can go.

Yeah...I've never come across a Grizzly, never been out west where they live. 300lb black bears are pretty common in Ontario, though, especially when you go north a bit. They can be miserable bastards too - usually at least one person gets taken out by one every year.

In NYS , there was one fatality in over 100 years, and that was someone who saw the bear, panic, and got most of her children inside, but not the infant .

I'm from Manitoba where polar bears tell black bears 'hold my beer' when it comes to taking out humans. Doesn't happen often, but polar bears really have no fear of people. You can scare a black bear away usually, but a polar bear just sees us as lunch.

Size comparison:

00rmluw8x7h51.jpg

I'm from Manitoba where polar bears tell black bears 'hold my beer' when it comes to taking out humans. Doesn't happen often, but polar bears really have no fear of people. You can scare a black bear away usually, but a polar bear just sees us as lunch.

Size comparison:

00rmluw8x7h51.jpg

lol...no doubt, I'm not messing with any polar bears. I've heard how those pricks will follow you for days over hundreds of miles. No thanks! lol

Back
Top Bottom