• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Only in Canada

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
We have a fox den near the chicken coop we inherited. All we can do is prevent the fox from getting to the chickens we might have in the future. Foxy does what he must. Cute little devil he is.

We have a fox den near the chicken coop we inherited. All we can do is prevent the fox from getting to the chickens we might have in the future. Foxy does what he must. Cute little devil he is.

They're so pretty. Chickens too. We get foxes around here, and one snowy morning there were fox tracks in the back yard, and rabbit tracks as well. Luckily we saw the rabbit later in the day.
I mean the fox has to eat, but not my rabbit.

They're so pretty. Chickens too. We get foxes around here, and one snowy morning there were fox tracks in the back yard, and rabbit tracks as well. Luckily we saw the rabbit later in the day.
I mean the fox has to eat, but not my rabbit.
Coolest experience we had was listening to coyotes in the middle of the night, windows open. We noticed that they reacted to the near by fire department's sirens by calling out. So one night they heard the sirens, started howling. Then we heard some heavier footsteps, soon after we could hear some pups right outside our window, sniffing and going about. Then Lovebug made herself known and they rushed away.

Canadians are crazy. Especially Canadiens.

Coolest experience we had was listening to coyotes in the middle of the night, windows open. We noticed that they reacted to the near by fire department's sirens by calling out. So one night they heard the sirens, started howling. Then we heard some heavier footsteps, soon after we could hear some pups right outside our window, sniffing and going about. Then Lovebug made herself known and they rushed away.

Is Lovebug your dog? Yotes sometimes coax a dog away from the yard, then the pack attacks for a family meal.

Man, I wish he wore a GoPro

Foxes may be cute but they stink

I've seen only 2 coyotes here, although there's supposed to be plenty of them. I'd love to see/hear pups! The closest I've been to any fox/coyote was one night several years ago we
were sitting out on the front steps and a fox just came trotting right down our sidewalk.

I've seen only 2 coyotes here, although there's supposed to be plenty of them. I'd love to see/hear pups! The closest I've been to any fox/coyote was one night several years ago we
were sitting out on the front steps and a fox just came trotting right down our sidewalk.
I have heard them quite often, but I have only seen one (crossing the road at night). I have been Fisher cats, mink and fox though. .. as well as the rarely some river otters.

I have heard them quite often, but I have only seen one (crossing the road at night). I have been Fisher cats, mink and fox though. .. as well as the rarely some river otters.

I'm envious - I'd love to see a river otter! Maybe my favorite wild animal.

I've never seen a mink or fisher cat. I have seen elk, deer, big horn sheep in our mountains. I've seen a beaver and possibly muskrat in a canal that runs along a few blocks
from my house. I think the thing that I was most excited by was seeing a wild turkey running along in the woods. I'd never seen one before. My daughter has seen moose and a bobcat
in our mountains.

I'm envious - I'd love to see a river otter! Maybe my favorite wild animal.

I've never seen a mink or fisher cat. I have seen elk, deer, big horn sheep in our mountains. I've seen a beaver and possibly muskrat in a canal that runs along a few blocks
from my house. I think the thing that I was most excited by was seeing a wild turkey running along in the woods. I'd never seen one before. My daughter has seen moose and a bobcat
in our mountains.
I remember once when I was a teen, I live across the road from a resevior that was 'backup water' for the local town (I don't think it was ever used). I was walking around it, and there was a muskrat chomping on something and didn't notice me walking up. I stood within like 3 feet from it for about a minute before it saw me, and BOY did it jump, then jumped in the water and swam away. This was pre digital camera, so I couldn't take a photograph. Locally, I have seen only 2 bobcat. They are about but I saw more Bobcat when I spent 6 months in Texas than I saw in over 40 years around here. And , of course, bears are annoying.

As for turkey... this is in my yard
Turkey1.jpg

I remember once when I was a teen, I live across the road from a resevior that was 'backup water' for the local town (I don't think it was ever used). I was walking around it, and there was a muskrat chomping on something and didn't notice me walking up. I stood within like 3 feet from it for about a minute before it saw me, and BOY did it jump, then jumped in the water and swam away. This was pre digital camera, so I couldn't take a photograph. Locally, I have seen only 2 bobcat. They are about but I saw more Bobcat when I spent 6 months in Texas than I saw in over 40 years around here. And , of course, bears are annoying.

As for turkey... this is in my yard
View attachment 67320663

Very cool! We have bears here, and sometimes they'll wander down from the mountains, but the only place I've actually seen one is Yellowstone. Interesting about the bobcats in TX. You'd think we'd have more here but I think they're fairly rare, and we get more lynx.

Very used to Black bears, foxes, otters, muskrats, beavers, wild turkeys and much more. We are blessed to live in their world and we respect that.....must admit the raccoons impress me less. This Spring we had a very bold black bear visit often. He wasn't agressive but he sure was a pain. The year before we had a momma bear and her three cubs around a lot......don't want to mess with that !

Last edited:
Very cool! We have bears here, and sometimes they'll wander down from the mountains, but the only place I've actually seen one is Yellowstone. Interesting about the bobcats in TX. You'd think we'd have more here but I think they're fairly rare, and we get more lynx.
I never saw a lynx . Moose wander into the area every couple of years, and it's a huge news item when ithey do. The bear around here is the black bear, which is much smaller and less aggressive than the grizzly. Lynx wander though the north part of NYS, but no known breeding pair.

I never saw a lynx . Moose wander into the area every couple of years, and it's a huge news item when ithey do. The bear around here is the black bear, which is much smaller and less aggressive than the grizzly. Lynx wander though the north part of NYS, but no known breeding pair.

I haven't seen a lynx either. We have a lot of moose, and I'm surprised I haven't seen one yet. A grizzly would be something to see!

I have been 20 feet from a black bear, 100 feet from a grizzly bear. Had mountain goats two feet from my truck.

Exshaw and Highway 2a from Calgary to Canmore is great to see big horm sheep. The highway from banff to jasper will let you see lots of Elk. The road from Jasper to Hinton lots of Mountain Goats

I have been 20 feet from a black bear, 100 feet from a grizzly bear. Had mountain goats two feet from my truck.

Exshaw and Highway 2a from Calgary to Canmore is great to see big horm sheep. The highway from banff to jasper will let you see lots of Elk. The road from Jasper to Hinton lots of Mountain Goats

Much closer than I'd like to get to bears. The fox I mentioned running down our sidewalk was probably 10-15 feet away, but he seemed to be on a mission and glanced at us & kept going.
Not nearly as scary as a bear.

Much closer than I'd like to get to bears. The fox I mentioned running down our sidewalk was probably 10-15 feet away, but he seemed to be on a mission and glanced at us & kept going.
Not nearly as scary as a bear.

The black bear was focused on eating berries. We never got out of the truck. As for the grizzly bear the park rangers were trying to get it to move away. It was at Lake Morraine near Lake Louise

Back
Top Bottom